Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Just finished a classic way of squeezing more out of the Seraphon Start Collecting / Vanguard boxes, by turning the spares on the carnosaur sprue into a wallowing troglodon.

This is the first time I tried using a green stuff scale mould to help with texture and I'm still not super confident but it worked well enough to give a foundation for the paint job anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's fantastic!

Oh hey it's the dude from your avatar

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
WIP Unforgiven Gravis Captain with an initial paintjob/

Going to paint the sword separately, might use a spare from the Companions kit if I get it.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
anyone have any advice on where to find medium (say a 28mm apc sized) wheels? ive heard "ebay toy car lots" but that isnt really specific. I'm making a cargo-8 troop hauler for my imperialis militia and I'm trying to figure out where to source the wheels from.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LurchinTard posted:

anyone have any advice on where to find medium (say a 28mm apc sized) wheels? ive heard "ebay toy car lots" but that isnt really specific. I'm making a cargo-8 troop hauler for my imperialis militia and I'm trying to figure out where to source the wheels from.

Are you just looking for cheap wheels? Or are you willing to spend a few bucks?

For cheap wheels, go to the dollar stores, thrift shops or garage sales and look for toys with appropriately sized wheels.

If you're willing to spend a few bucks there's still a few people selling resin wheels for conversions, Spellcrow has some ork themed wheels, Maxmini has a couple, Victoria Miniatures has them for converting Taurox kits. Unfortunately the best source was Blood and Skull Industries on Ebay, but they seem to have gone out of business.
you can also find lots of 3d printed wheels on ebay and etsy, mostly for model car kits but off road wheels will probably do you fine.

Edit: Here's another source, I bought some of their wheels to replace the ones on my Ork buggy after my dog chewed them up, and they were really nice.
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/vehicle-accessories/wheels

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 7, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

LurchinTard posted:

If you're down with checking places in-person, you should go thrifting once in a while at the local secondhand shops, and do a round of the kids toys section while you're there. I've found tons of stuff that's great for kit bashing and conversions there, and it's all as cheap as it gets

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

Bucnasti posted:

Are you just looking for cheap wheels? Or are you willing to spend a few bucks?

For cheap wheels, go to the dollar stores, thrift shops or garage sales and look for toys with appropriately sized wheels.

If you're willing to spend a few bucks there's still a few people selling resin wheels for conversions, Spellcrow has some ork themed wheels, Maxmini has a couple, Victoria Miniatures has them for converting Taurox kits. Unfortunately the best source was Blood and Skull Industries on Ebay, but they seem to have gone out of business.
you can also find lots of 3d printed wheels on ebay and etsy, mostly for model car kits but off road wheels will probably do you fine.

Edit: Here's another source, I bought some of their wheels to replace the ones on my Ork buggy after my dog chewed them up, and they were really nice.
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/vehicle-accessories/wheels

appreciate the leads my friend, lookin through their pages right now

Mederlock posted:

If you're down with checking places in-person, you should go thrifting once in a while at the local secondhand shops, and do a round of the kids toys section while you're there. I've found tons of stuff that's great for kit bashing and conversions there, and it's all as cheap as it gets

I've gone a few times looking for bits but I seem to have trouble identifying what would be useful or not- I wish I had that sort of weird vision thing benny has from the lego movie where he can see what bricks are good to use to create something, but for kitbashing.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Becklespinax posted:

Just finished a classic way of squeezing more out of the Seraphon Start Collecting / Vanguard boxes, by turning the spares on the carnosaur sprue into a wallowing troglodon.

This is the first time I tried using a green stuff scale mould to help with texture and I'm still not super confident but it worked well enough to give a foundation for the paint job anyway!

Great paintjob! I love that this guys based like he's living in his single little goo puddle

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Question for the kitbash thread, does anyone have the new Seraphon mount models? I’m trying to plan a kitbash of some Tau 40k Tetras and I am thinking of something like Exodites but with Tau riders on some dinosaurs with high intensity marker lights. I’m curious about their dimensions, seems like the Tetras come on the 65mm ‘large flying base, I’m hoping someone could take some pictures of the Seraphon mounts with maybe a space marine near them or something to scale off of?

Base sizes from https://en-blastedhorizons.blogspot...+SpikeyBits&m=1
Raptadons come 5 to a set and fit on 60x35mm oval bases while the Aggradons come only 3 to a set and are bigger on 75x42mm bases. I like the look of the bigger aggradons without the head frills but I suppose I can shave those off and get 5 to a pack …

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

stackofflapjacks posted:

I’m hoping someone could take some pictures of the Seraphon mounts with maybe a space marine near them or something to scale off of?

Because I'm all here for Exodites, here's both next to a standard citadel pot, sorry I don't have any space marines!

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

That's fantastic!

Oh hey it's the dude from your avatar

w00tmonger posted:

Great paintjob! I love that this guys based like he's living in his single little goo puddle

Thank you both very much, they're living their best goo life!

My avatar is one of the delightfully inaccurate Crystal Palace Dinosaur statues

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Becklespinax posted:

Because I'm all here for Exodites, here's both next to a standard citadel pot, sorry I don't have any space marines!

This is great! Thanks a bunch! Excited to see your aggradons and raptadons finished, your troglodon is excellent

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I don't know it was a great idea choosing to do this as my first project after being out of the hobby for like 6 years - I want to get into the Old World but gently caress paying whatever GW will be charging for it once they rerelease it - I'm scratchbuilding a Hellcannon. Very rough WIP, lots of smoothing of fingerprints on the gs to do, I also ordered some steampunk jewelry cogs for very cheap to hopefully build a some sort of mechanism. I hope once I slap some paint on it, it will look less poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Does anyone have a size comparison picture of a Deff Dred next to a wardog/armiger? Are they about the same size?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

I needed some Helstrikers for my weird red-era Riftforged Orc army, so I digitally sculpted a set of wings and a stinger tail and bashed them onto an existing model I had. Thus was born the Mantiboar.

Wings are folded and the tail is lower on my leader’s version, but they come together pretty okay, I think.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I posted about this thing over in the WH40k thread before we had this one. I got a rescue Taurox off of Ebay for €15 that had been drownt in superglue and badly assembled to boot. It somehow gave me intense gastrointestinal pain for about a week after first touching it. Anyway someone mentioned throwing it in the freezer to help with all the glue and I forgot about it in there, it's really been through it.

Shoehead posted:

Got my hands in this Taurox. I think they just... smothered this in glue!

I'm cleaning it up to reassemble

Here's how it's looking now

Notable bits include a lego engine, a hatch made from a Necromunda base and some 3d printed wheels from Victoria minis

I wanna give it a once over with some liquid greenstuff to fill in some of the shittier joins, and then we'll see how it looks primed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Taurox just look so much better with wheels.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Seeing as I opened up a bunch of my GSC vehicle boxes to help with the Taurox (and cos they are really big boxes) I've just started to build them, but I'm thinking of having something dramatic going on in the bed of the Goliath

The mortar operator from the Ridgerunner's limbs are perfect for the medic's arms, his patient is gonna need more work though!

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
My major conversions for my 30k Dark Angels and 40k Word Bearers:

Arakiel, Master of Signals

[EXPUNGED], my Excindio Battle Automata

Ashur-Rim, The Blessed, formerly a jump lord, now whatever character I feel like him being

Hada Idil, Lord of the Unspoken Word, my Abaddon proxy

Lady Ygastal, my Disco Lord

Germ
May 7, 2013

Chosen Knights of Nurgle from Blightkings and the AoS Chaos Knights that barely fit on their new 30x60 bases:

Any thoughts on what to do for some Nurgley dragon Ogres? I was considering just using some plague toads, but there’s got to be something better. Blightking torsos and … ???? bodies?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Something with the daemon plague drones maybe? I don't know how possible it'd be to pose them as walking to make some fly centaurs.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Oh, that’s a good idea! I could leave the wings off and try to repose them so they are some kind of bloated diseased ant-thing. Then use blightkings for the torsos. Plus a bunch of plague drone wings would be great fodder for future conversions.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
A friend gave me the special release Kasrkin sergeant for Christmas, so I decided I had to finish a small squad for to go with him. It's mostly made up of a bunch of old prototype conversions for veteran squads that I never got around to using. I unified their appearance a bit and I'm happy with how they turned out. They'll be fine once painted.

I also have a bunch of old metal stormtroopers that need special weapon models to complete the squad. That's going to be a much more complicated process, I suspect I'll have to greenstuff most of their equipment. I have some Catachan legs and old Cadian torsos to start with, at least.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm trying to decide how I want to mount the wings to this guy. I quite directly to the body like this but it leaves no space for a backpack. I think I need to convert a backpack to have the wings replace the vent sphere things. I just don't want the base of the wings to be too far removed from the main body.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 16, 2024

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm trying to decide how I want to mount the wings to this guy. I quite directly to the body like this but it leaves no space for a backpack. I think I need to convert a backpack to have the wings replace the vent sphere things. I just don't want the base of the wings to be too far removed from the main body.

This was fun!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I did not know this thread existed until today. Kitbashing/converting is prolly my favorite aspect of the hobby.

I'll share some of my finished pieces first, I have a lot of stuff so I'll drip feed a little over multiple posts.

Here's some of my Thousand Sons. They started out as an 8th ed 40k off-shoot warband that used the normal Chaos Marine rules, but the following 9th and 10th ed rules made all my squad loadouts illegal so I guess they're now late heresy 30k guys (I don't even play currently so who cares anyway).

I've shared these before in past threads, but here's these.

Next post will probably have some of the more crazy kitbashes that I've haven't gotten to painting yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Look at my Terminator chaplain conversion YOU BUMBLING BOOBS!! NYA-HAHAHA!!

I'm hoping a few layers of paint can smooth out some of that green stuff. I also need to figure out interchangeable shield and (left handed) storm bolter hands, or may cheast and make Watchers in the Dark to carry them around for him

Where are these wings from? I feel like I recognise them and it's driving me nuts.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 28, 2024

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BizarroAzrael posted:

Where are these wings from? I feel like I recognise them and it's driving me nuts.

They're from one of the Dark Eldar Scourges.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Done save for the offhand and some details/decals.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Messing about mushing an Alphus with a Saboteur for a little bit of drama. She still needs a gently caress load of cleaning and gaps filled. I somehow managed to get glue on my hands constantly...

e: shite that's a bad photo, I've got shakey hands syndrome today

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 29, 2024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
She's not bald?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah it's the only thing stopping me from locking that head in tbh... I've a few hybrids with hair in my army and I just paint the hair all black and grey and it kinda works

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Lore: they stapled on some wigs to fool the local commissar before they launched the uprising.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Two Beans posted:

Lore: they stapled on some wigs to fool the local commissar before they launched the uprising.

Alternately, it's a variant genestealer strain with hair. Be sure to give the purestrain genestealers some luscious locks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
or, more seriously, a genestealer cult is still a cult. it seems perfectly reasonable that any of the positions held by neophyte hybrids could be held by a baseline human, either a brood brother or just a really weird fellow traveler.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Genestealer genetics are extremely mutable, maybe some just have hair.

Now I want to see a fuzzy purestrain genestealer, like those "Yeti Crabs"

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
There is seriously no dearth of baldness in 40k, this one person can have some hair as a treat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought what was supposed to be a Chaos Knight Tyrant, but it's just actually the Imperial version. Not even with a sprue of conversion bits or anything, so I guess the two kits are just identical. Obviously I want to Chaos it up a bit, and luckily I have a resin printer. But it turns out that finding Chaos Knight conversion bits is quite hard.

I'm hoping to go for a Thousand Sons kind of look, and I guess if push comes to shove I can always just get one of the 46146234 "Egyptian Evil Space Warrior" heads, try to scale it up to be Knight scale and attach that to the neck piece.

But before I do that, I figured I'd ask if anyone has found (or made) decent Chaos Knight conversion bits?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Does the Necrosphynx head fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bought what was supposed to be a Chaos Knight Tyrant, but it's just actually the Imperial version. Not even with a sprue of conversion bits or anything, so I guess the two kits are just identical. Obviously I want to Chaos it up a bit, and luckily I have a resin printer. But it turns out that finding Chaos Knight conversion bits is quite hard.

I'm hoping to go for a Thousand Sons kind of look, and I guess if push comes to shove I can always just get one of the 46146234 "Egyptian Evil Space Warrior" heads, try to scale it up to be Knight scale and attach that to the neck piece.

But before I do that, I figured I'd ask if anyone has found (or made) decent Chaos Knight conversion bits?

There's this one I found

https://legiomodels.com/big-knight/big-knight-sorcerer-armour-kit/