Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I bought what was supposed to be a Chaos Knight Tyrant, but it's just actually the Imperial version. Not even with a sprue of conversion bits or anything, so I guess the two kits are just identical. Obviously I want to Chaos it up a bit, and luckily I have a resin printer. But it turns out that finding Chaos Knight conversion bits is quite hard.

I'm hoping to go for a Thousand Sons kind of look, and I guess if push comes to shove I can always just get one of the 46146234 "Egyptian Evil Space Warrior" heads, try to scale it up to be Knight scale and attach that to the neck piece.

But before I do that, I figured I'd ask if anyone has found (or made) decent Chaos Knight conversion bits?

1. Go to Cults3d.com
2. Type Chaos Knight into the search bar
4. Profit!

Also the original Imperial Knights Renegade boxed set came with Imperial and Chaos decals so you could make a renegade knight that hadn't gone full chaos yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Those are nice but it looks like they only sell printed things and at insane prices.

Bucnasti posted:

1. Go to Cults3d.com
2. Type Chaos Knight into the search bar
4. Profit!

That's what I did, but it's slim pickings over there. They do have a couple of potential options!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ooh, I did find this on Cults3d though, and this could definitely work!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
interior
crocodile
alligator
i drive a thousand sons movie theater

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sasha_d3ath posted:

interior
crocodile
alligator

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

sasha_d3ath posted:

interior
crocodile
alligator

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

sasha_d3ath posted:

interior
crocodile
alligator

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Working on my Chosen leader, giving him a third arm. Would like some opinions, not sure if this works or is too busy/clunky

Will add greenstuff tentacles to match the bolt gun bit and fill in gaps once I've settled on the position. Not a whole lot of movement available due to the cape.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
There are two ways to go.

More precisely align the aim of the gun with the motion of the mace, so it lines up like the servo-arm is a waldo armature. The connections between the gun's mount and the arm or the gun and its mount are good places for this. Remember that you can't have much sharper or imbalanced rotation on a joint that is meant to be mechanical hydraulic than organic muscle-and-bone or tentacle-like self-supporting tissue. Doing so gives a feeling of mechanical precision and inflexibility.

Make them look more independent. It's not clear why pointing with a mace would be slaved to that arm, so they look weirdly aligned. If the mace was higher and more broadly gesturing, or lower and more at the ready, they'd have more distinct lines of motion. Alternately, making the servoarm higher or lower, or not like it's yet actively ready to fire, or more clearly acquiring a different target - all of these options make a different but similar line of motion look more natural. Separate eyes or sensors that have a visible line of sight help a lot: look at how Its perfectly natural that the boss's LOS is askew from his gun for obvious reasons. And you can jam all the mutant eyes or sensors or sensors that are also eyes on a chaos/admech hybrid themed guy.

Look at the GW Warpsmith, because it uses both methods. The middle tendril matches the line of shoulder-arm-hand-pistol precisely. However, the top and bottom tendrils (and the smaller drill tendril) are a bit further from the actual arm, so they converge at a vague far point and don't need to line up. Plus, if you pose his plasma pistol like the hammer lord's, it still works, because you've created more distinct lines of action.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I don't suppose anybody knows how best to mount a polished rock onto a short length of acrylic rod.

I was at the mayo clinic and a rock store in the hotel had a rock shaped exactly like a cheap toy jet fighter and I want to put it on a hex base for battletech

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i'd use a drill with a sufficiently hard bit to drill a hole in the surface of the rock. but i'd only do that if the hole was going to be on the bottom or otherwise unobtrusive, only if i was okay with destroying this particular rock in particular by accident, and only if the rock was going to hold itself in place once placed and secured with whatever i was using for adhesive (as opposed to trying to hold up a rock with adhesive)

otherwise you're better off mounting it in the manner of a semi-precious stone, with prongs or wire, but i don't know anything about that other than that it's a thing that can be done

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2024

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's a good general-use poly/plastic cement? I've been using Tamiya thin and whilst it's excellent for small stuff and eliminating seams, it's clearly not ideal for bigger areas of contact which would suit something more gel-like. I have some "sprue goo" made from some rubbish Humbrol liquid poly which is too far the other way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good general-use poly/plastic cement? I've been using Tamiya thin and whilst it's excellent for small stuff and eliminating seams, it's clearly not ideal for bigger areas of contact which would suit something more gel-like. I have some "sprue goo" made from some rubbish Humbrol liquid poly which is too far the other way.

I'm a sucker for Revell's plastic cement:

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/colors-accessories/glue/contacta-professional.html

I like it because of the metal applicator gives a lot of precision when needed, but also works for big stuff like gluing plasticard. The downside is that the glue can dry inside the metal tube, and then you need to take it off and either pry it out with a very thin metal thread or burn it off with a candle lighter or something. I prefer it to Tamiya's cement in most cases to be honest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lilljonas posted:

I'm a sucker for Revell's plastic cement:

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/colors-accessories/glue/contacta-professional.html

I like it because of the metal applicator gives a lot of precision when needed, but also works for big stuff like gluing plasticard. The downside is that the glue can dry inside the metal tube, and then you need to take it off and either pry it out with a very thin metal thread or burn it off with a candle lighter or something. I prefer it to Tamiya's cement in most cases to be honest.

this is my go-to plastic glue as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This has been my go-to plastic glue for 30 years now. I use the scale model super-thin/super-fast glue for scale models but this for everything else / everything bigger. Just make sure you always store it with the needle pointing upwards, because if you leave it so that the glue can drain into the needle, it will become 100% clogged very quickly.

At that point you can still unclog the needle by detaching it from the glue container, holding it with pliers and burning it open with a lighter or a match, but it will smell awful and generally not be pleasant.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I like the tamiya cement but that's because it's what my local store has

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Alpha Legion Master of Excutions bash:

"The sword is a distraction, he kills with the knife."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That helmet is lit AF.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cross post from the painting thread: my first squadron of walkers (to be exact, Gallowglass-pattern warstriders, from the separatist human civilization known as the Tarrexodae) is approaching table-ready.

I'm reasonably happy with how they've come out!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This conversion is sick - really characterful and imaginative use of bits, great theme.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Did you know you can make more faction thematic endless spells from spare bits you have lying around? I borrowed the aethervoid pendulum idea from a friend and decided on making a chronomantic cogs too as I had some pieces. While the base sizes are fine, I forgot to check the actual scale, so mine are quite small in comparison to the regular models, but I think they look neat!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
That's a rad idea and those look great.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My local GW store is having monthly painting competitions with the model of the month. This month the theme is "corruption." As a lifelong Space Wolves player, I relished the chance to gently caress up a Dark Angel, and I thought Genestealer Cults was a more original direction to take than just Chaos. So I'll be painting this model this month. Still deciding whether to stick with the classic Dark Angel Deathwing paint scheme or do something different.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

that looks great! Small suggestion, wrap some wire around the shield to visually fix the emblem on. Right now it looks a little glued on. But man, even still that thing owns, the double arm!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The deathwing colourscheme came from fighting a stealer cult, so it seems pretty appropriate to use it for that guy

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

that looks great! Small suggestion, wrap some wire around the shield to visually fix the emblem on. Right now it looks a little glued on. But man, even still that thing owns, the double arm!

Ah, good idea! I wasn't quite sure how to approach that and I love the idea of it looking tied on.

ro5s posted:

The deathwing colourscheme came from fighting a stealer cult, so it seems pretty appropriate to use it for that guy

I didn't know that! Even better!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ro5s posted:

the reason for that little easter egg is even better: the deathwatch were first introduced in a space hulk expansion

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
In the story its from a made up Native American tradition because this was back when that was their sole theme

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

In the story its from a made up Native American tradition because this was back when that was their sole theme

other than the gay joke

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
to answer the inevitable question:

the dark angels, an army of warrior monks led by lion el'johnson, originally had a deep secret they were hiding from everyone, including other marines

lionel johnson was a british poet who led a monkish, devout life but is now generally considered by historians to have likely been a closeted homosexual. his most famous poem, "dark angel", is about battling a dark angel of forbidden lusts.

that was pretty much the joke. a surprising amount of old 40K is moderately well-read british nerds resenting their english lit education.

obviously they later retconned the dark angel space marines to be hiding the fact that a significant chunk of the legion turned traitor in the horus heresy. really the only funny part of all of it all is that much later, the horus heresy novels and game retconned the heresy to have significant traitor contingents of all of the legions, and only the dark angels get all weird about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cease to Hope posted:

really the only funny part of all of it all is that much later, the horus heresy novels and game retconned the heresy to have significant traitor contingents of all of the legions, and only the dark angels get all weird about it.

Honestly this "everyone else did it but only he felt bad about it" also tracks

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, here it is WIP so far. I'm planning on using Contrast paints for the head and arm. I'm torn between the classic Genestealer colors (purple skin, dark blue chitin) and my own GSC army colors (orange skin, bright blue chitin).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Can we re-retcon it back to being gay? 40k is intensely homoerotic but really lacks in anything explicitly queer. (Slaneesh being a Non Binary entity and Howling Banshees notwithstanding)

Also I'm now thinking of the other founding Legion's dark secrets and it's going like "some of us are werewolves" "some of us are vampires" "some of us are feral mutants" "we are deep cover agents, or are we?" "our dad made a second empire and we don't talk about it" "We might have killed an entire other legion no one thinks about, twice" and then "We kiss each other with tongue" and it's very funny.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Doesn't the Imperium give no shits about your sexuality (or race, even) as long as you're willing to die in the Emperor's name? Making them homophobic doesn't really seem to accomplish much except make gay people feel bad.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

Doesn't the Imperium give no shits about your sexuality (or race, even) as long as you're willing to die in the Emperor's name? Making them homophobic doesn't really seem to accomplish much except make gay people feel bad.

Yah, all space marines should just be openly gay. I really want a Tom of Finland chapter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If you want gay Space Marines, just read SPACE MARINE by Ian Watson.

This is not a joke btw.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bucnasti posted:

Yah, all space marines should just be openly gay. I really want a Tom of Finland chapter.

I feel like most Marines are at the very least built like Tom of Finland. We need more moustaches in Warhammer though

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So I'm about to work on a kill team, counting as Legionaries but not doing overtly chaos models. My goal is to end up with a bunch of guys who look like they've been scrapping together armor and weapons with their supply lines cut for a long time, until most of them are wearing piecemeal armor. The big caveat is I can't do anything fancy with the heads, and may not be able to do anything fancy with the shoulders, because I have plans for both already. Custom helmets (or bare heads if I end up hating the helmets), and I've been seeing people use just the inner shoulders instead of the full shoulder pad and liked the slimmer profile, so may follow in those footsteps.

Using Intercessor and Assault Intercessor models as the main base, any thoughts on what to do with them to get that kind of look? Some thoughts I've already had (on two or three models each):

• greenstuff power cabling like MkV, possibly also studs though I'm not a huge fan of them
  • greenstuff overlapping bands of armor on the leg(s) like MkII
  • cloaks and/or chain mail to cover damaged parts of armor
  • tartaros chest plate replacing the original one (I've seen this done and it looked good)
  • skip the primaris base model and cobble together a 30k tactical kit with the Tartaros terminator legs (planned for one of the two leaders)
  • power pack swaps (easy)
  • try and model armor damage (not entirely sure what or how)

I'm not a greenstuff professional by any means, I'm fairly bad with it actually, but this looks like a good learning opportunity.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Shoehead posted:

"We kiss each other with tongue"

Ok but where? The IRL Knights Templar got purged for eating rear end. I'd expect no less from our avenging angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Muir posted:

Well, here it is WIP so far. I'm planning on using Contrast paints for the head and arm. I'm torn between the classic Genestealer colors (purple skin, dark blue chitin) and my own GSC army colors (orange skin, bright blue chitin).

Looks great so far!