Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Someone talk to me about green stuff: I am just about capable of using it for simple work like filling in gaps but anything more than that ends up blobby and disappointing. And here are you assholes all posting beautifully sculpted details and making me feel bad.

Is there some sort of recommended guide I can bury myself in for a bit? Do I need to go and buy dedicated sculpting tools to get results? Is it just practice practice practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Way way back I started myself a total conversion 40k project where I reimagined the T'au Empire as an independent human faction and essentially set about recreating the T'au model range without using any Tau models. I burned out of 40k at the start of 6th Ed when it was still in progress, and pulled them back out to continue during lockdown.

Currently working on a not-Farsight:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 31, 2024

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Not-Stealth Suits made from Terminator torsos, Scout legs, and a bunch of other bits. Paint job isn't winning any awards but looks nicer than they did as bare plastic:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Cross post from the painting thread: my first squadron of walkers (to be exact, Gallowglass-pattern warstriders, from the separatist human civilization known as the Tarrexodae) is approaching table-ready.

I'm reasonably happy with how they've come out!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

What would you guys do? Am I barking up a fundamentally flawed tree? Will they likely look better once the greenstuff fur, cabling, etc is in place? Modify the helmets further, or call it good and just switch to bare heads entirely? Just looking for insight, I've been out of the game a while and may have put myself back in over my head a bit.

I actually think the issue here isn't the head, it's that the model is 90% Space Marine (and mostly from the same kit, I think?) and so with that 1-second-glance first impression it doesn't come across as a minor xenos scavenging race, it comes across as a Space Marine. The head then looks out of place because it's the only different part of what is actually an otherwise coherent Astartes model. You can do a lot with incorporating Marine parts into conversions - there's such a wide range of models available that they're hard to ignore as a source of bits - but mixing in a few more parts from elsewhere would go a long way here.

Take this guy I made for my anti-Imperial secessionists:

Still mostly Space Marine parts, but because those parts are from all over the range, and the legs from the Necromunda Enforcers are different enough, they pull the end result towards something more distinct. Find some different legs and remove/swap out the powerpack, and you'll have something that stands out a lot more.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Been trying various ways to integrate wound counters into a miniature base and I feel like this is turning out pretty well. Got custom cut MDF dials from an eBay seller, dropped a magnet in the centre hole and the bottom of the base, and cut the edge away from the base for the dial to show through.

And it does spin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's really clever

I can't really take credit for the idea, GW was doing essentially the same thing 35+ years ago:

AndyElusive posted:

Patent this rad poo poo before Green Stuff World sees it.

You joke, but depending on which internet story you want to believe it might be that the patent WizKids have for their Heroclix bases is wide enough that it stops anyone else making this kind of thing commercially. If nothing else, that feels like the most plausible answer I've found yet why nobody is making these things already and I have to go running around the internet for the components to hack them together at home.