Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mederlock posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/turnip28/turnip28-the-forlorn-hope

It's fuckin awesome is what it is. At least aesthetically

Unfortunately that is what I have heard about it too. Like many games made now, the aesthetic is fantastic, but the game is almost an after thought. The rule book is artistic and fun to just look at, but the mechanics and game play are middling at best.

A friend that reviews games said it is a game of turnips and D6s. I was all in on Turnip28 for a while. A game that has such a weird aesthetic and doesn't require you to buy their models? Neat! But then you watch game play and it is not inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, love what you love, play what you want to play, but Forbidden Psalm, Five Parsecs from home, Idols of Torment, Turnip28, Sludge, and many more games sell you on the look and the world they have written while the mechanics range from ok to not good. (And for the record most GW games fit this mold as well.)

On a minis note, many of these games do inspire creativity in modelling and kitbashing. So they have that going for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mederlock posted:

So I want a Gargantuan fire Elemental for my Humblewood game, but when I was originally looking about 2 years back, the price of the one from Hit Point Press was north of $60 or more, I don't remember the exact price but it was a lot.

So, the me from 2 years ago bought this Wizkids Huge Fire Elemental Lord from the clearance bin at the LGS for $10.

But it was much too small and slim to match what I was looking for from a Gargantuan fire Elemental. So I took up my trusty 120 watt hot glue gun and got to work

Hot tip: silicone laced Parchment paper is /the best/ material to do hot glue sculpting and such with, I did it on my glass craft mat and it was a nightmare to get the base unstuck. My self healing mats were similarly terrible, but using the Kirkland parchment paper over the glass mat was a winning combo.

I know it's not amazing or anything.. but it was fun to do and the beasty is much bigger now so I count saving all that money as a win! E: now that I'm looking at it closely in the pictures, I may do a bit more sculpting with the hot tip of the gun to clean up a few spots or something, idk

Now I have to paint the darned thing :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azP3S-2YUfU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

So here's a weird one. I got the les grognards for my imperial guard army and keeping in the theme of napoleon in space how do I napoleon up the walkers and the tanks in my army. Trains? Do I trains them up? Make them kinda navel shippy?

Add elements that make them look steam powered without becoming cheesy steampunk. Look at Warmachine for inspiration.

Lots of pomp and unnecessary colours.