Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

gently caress yes! Conversions thread!

To keep us going here are some of my Vostroyans, nothing too new here, I've posted almost all before. Most of these are in some state of being painted, sorry!

First off we've got my latest, a WIP of my Lord Solar conversion, based off a Cities of Sigmar Cavalier. Added a power sword, and sculpted gloves and a hat. Very simple.

Next up is a classic, converting a flamer into a meltagunner. Painted a while ago, I need to push the highlights more and then reshoot.

My Bombast has got to be my most involved conversion since picking 40k up again last year. The officer directing the gun is also itself a major conversion, adding the jacket and sculpting a fastener and hand. The loader is a minor conversion, sculpting a shell over the mortar round he normally holds. A tiny detail I'm very proud of: I filled in the barrel and rebored it to match the ammunition. It drove me insane how much smaller the shell was than the bore.

The aforementioned officer before he was based.

Lastly, my Basilisk, which features a 1:35 Tamiya Flak 38. It fit perfectly onto the Chimera base, almost as if it had been designed that way, too easy. I feel guilty calling it a conversion, I just cemented the gun down and called it a day. I need to go back in and dial down a bit of the weathering. I also put some wider treads onto it, I just prefer how they look.

What is next?

This just arrived by post yesterday. I needed more artillery... It will become an earthshaker or medusa carriage battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh I'm so happy for this. I don't really do Warhammer conversions (yet), but cutting minis apart and putting them back together is one of my favorite things to do and see, and I also never get around to painting a lot of them.

For instance, these are from 5 years ago:

Cool False Maria head, where'd that come from? That bear also rules!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Multiple competing False Marias, amazing! What a time to be alive. I might have to get one and make it a servitor or something fun.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

:five:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

that looks great! Small suggestion, wrap some wire around the shield to visually fix the emblem on. Right now it looks a little glued on. But man, even still that thing owns, the double arm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

So here's a weird one. I got the les grognards for my imperial guard army and keeping in the theme of napoleon in space how do I napoleon up the walkers and the tanks in my army. Trains? Do I trains them up? Make them kinda navel shippy?

I've always liked the idea that tanks and heavy equipment are issued, and made to STC, so you don't need to do much if you don't want to. For my Vostroyan conversions I try to keep the core of the kit the same, but change out smaller details that would be replaced frequently, like wheels or treads. For instance I made a new gunshield and larger ww1 style wheels for my Bombast Field Gun. I think your impulse towards a naval theme could work really well too. Some nice ornate details, especially adding wood where feasible, would really sell it.

When I think Napoleon I think battle standards. Maybe drape a flag over a portion of a tank?