Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gambrinus posted:

Marauder metal giant is coming back! I always wanted one of those, but not enough to pay eBay prices.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised to see they are bringing back the old wyvern shaman kit. It was one of my first purchases (back in like, 94-95 or so) and as a wee lad with no internet there was just no way I could properly put it together. Pinning? What's that? I'll just pile on more milliput around the wings every time they break off! I think I still have parts of it in the attic, though I could not find all parts of the shaman itself. Might pick one up for old times sake.

Might get a box of regular plastic gobbos too as I have two small units of that generation that could need beefing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Wasn't the Troll hag a forge world model? Interesting to see that be one of the returning models.

Yup and so were the two special command group sets that they'll also relaunch.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

That's a huge range of minis being re-released, Greenskins have tons of stuff. I didn't play fantasy back in the day, is there much missing from the re-releases?

Depends on how far back you go. It's still like, 5% of the 4th-5th edition range (i.e. the marauder giant, the trolls, shaman on wyvern) being re-released, which is the stuff I'm interested in. But that's better than nothing. I love that era of trolls, though I already have a few.

If you're into the 6th-8th editions look primarily, it's a bigger deal. If they had dug into the old early to mid 90's metal orcs and goblins, THEN it would be a big deal for real.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 20, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Someone at GWs marketing went to ebay, saw the price for a mint marauder giant, and realized how much cash they were leaving on the table lol

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

adamarama posted:

I've played 40k forever but haven't played fantasy in about 20 years. A bit daunted starting a Bretonnian army. I'm not sure of the lance rules - it reads to me like you're meant to set it up like bowling pins so 6 or 10 models per lance? But I'm seeing lists online saying 6 or 9 - am I missing something?

I have not read the ToW rules but they switched the lance rules in later WHFB editions (don't remember if it was in 6th or 7th edition) to not be the old bowling pin patten but instead a three model wide bus. So if they stuck with that for TOW that would explain it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

Ive been excited for Tomb Kings but I've decided my nostalgia isnt strong enough to re-spend another few hundred quid on the derpy skeletons. I like the Bretonnians even now but I sold my Bretonnian army 3 or 4 years ago and don't really feel like rebuying it.

Imma stop you right here and just ask you if you considered that you can get a really cool bretonnia army by just buying plastic knights and infantry from Perry Miniatures for a tiny sliver of what a new GW army costs? That's what one of my clubmates is doing right now.

AnEdgelord posted:

I have a feeling that WHFB being ruinously expensive to get into during 8th edition was a far more significant contributor to its low sales than anything to do with the setting or even most of the rules. Blood Knights were $100 at the very end and their new kit coming out in AoS is one of the only times in GW's history that I know of that a new kit accompanied a price drop.

Yeah 8th edition was a dumster fire of random lovely rules that ALSO required tons and tons and tons of minis and ALSO was the period where GW increased prices of fantasy minis immensely. It died really quickly in my area that had a healthy amount of gamers with WHFB armies. People blame WHFB for having poor sales which means it got axed but 8th ed was the perfect storm of setting up WHFB to fail after squeezing out the last drops of blood from the whales that agreed on the idea of fielding 50+ minis strong units of elite minis that were sold in packs of 10.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 21, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

You could definitely use some greenstuff to have a model stuffing a helmet on top of a wizard hat

Gonna sculpt a goblin boss with a wicked wizard hat on a magic helmet, even if I don't end up running it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm so glad Warhammer Fantasy is back. Just bought a couple of Beastmen Vanguard boxes, a Beastlord and a bunch of square bases off AliExpress.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of 3rd party minotaurs because the GW ones are awful, but I might wait until the box for the Beastmen gets announced because who knows, they might get new sculpts.

AFAIK the pattern this far has been that there are few new sculpts, with about two new characters per army or so, no new units. I would be very surprised if minos got a new box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm in the progress of digging out my O&G from various boxes in the attic, planning to base them so that I can use them for both ToW and Hobgoblin. And I realize just how many squigs I have. So many squigs. Two big units of squig hoppers, two big units of squigs (but not so many herders), and a big boss on a monstrous squig.

I have no idea how I'll be able to squeeze all of them into a ToW army. I have like, I've found a single unit of orc infantry this far. I migjht just go ahead and make a Skarsnik themed night goblin force. I have 2-3 units of night goblins and a bunch of trolls too that would fit (as well as other random stuff like giants, a bunch of wolf riders, and enough boar riders to keep me painting for years).

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dug out an old box of supplies and have lovely craft paints from literally thirty years ago that are still wet, GW should ask those guys how to engineer a paint pot.

30 year old GW paints are generally still ok. It's all paint made the last 25 years that that rapidly turn to solid coloured plastic. And that's not a bug, it's a feature.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 26, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

I think that's what had people disappointed with the reissue of old kits - there's nothing wrong with old models, but the current AoS line is phenomenal.

This. There are absolutely nothing in the AoS lore that makes me a tiny bit interested (which is amazing, given that they have like, flying turtles and stuff), but the goblins for AoS are pretty universally really nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

there were designated loving-around areas like the border princes and the other side of the big mountain range to the east, but i get this. WHFB always had a millenarian vibe, where everything is building up to the grand battle to decide the fate of the world (which, presumably, is the match you are playing). the timeline rarely advanced, but GW constantly added new things that happened last week.

who knows what they'll do with TOW.

Overall this was a thing that came along later on, same with 40K. Up to, say, 4th and 5th editions of WHFB, there was IMHO much less focus on the "main plotline characters" of GW, or the main plot at all, and more room for players to carve out their own piece of the fantasy. Hell, the "World Map" when I got into WHFB had most of the bits missing, which was not a bad thing.What's beyond the wastes where the Chaos Dwarves live? Who knows! Stories would generally be smaller - for example, one of the highlights of the 4th edition era O&G was the battles around Karak Eight Peaks, a regional big deal but hardly The End Times. The Dark Elves had their shenanigans of infighting and pirating but nobody was conquering the entire world, etc.

Same with Rogue Trader and 2nd edition 40K - White Dwarf battle reports would often be about the authors coming up with their own characters that fought more low-stake events. Whenever I see something about 40K now, it seems like there are fifty galaxy-ending plotline churning along constantly, each one wrestling to be more epic than the other. Looking back, you could start to see this development in the mass player events like Storm of Chaos and the Cadia event, when stakes suddenly needed to be higher and higher, and the issue that you could also not resolve those events as they would gently caress up your setting (which is why both had their results fudged by GW). If you came into WHFB in 7th or 8th ed, the game was already way into that threadmill.

I think the Old World reboot at an even earlier age, to distance it further from the End Times, is a good idea for this reason as well.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 7, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah one thing I liked when I picked up O&G in 4th ed is that a lot of the Big Events were in the past. Like Grom's rampage across the Empire. But the vibe was very much that the main draw of O&G was to come up with your own scrappy little warband and give it your own history and theme. You could use the special characters, and by God we did because we were 13 and Morglum Necksnapper was just so cool, but it was obvious that the White Dwarf staff and their mates were more into coming up with small, contained stories in the setting.

Hell, even Grom's story was "and then he sailed away to the Elves and fought and lost but who knows how that really happened and if he's still not out there, biding his time?". That's how you write a setting where your players are allowed to pick up the reins and make their own stories if they want to.

Like, I have zero interest in paiting up Rouboute Guilliman and have him lead 20 dudes and some tanks against Angron once a month. So a do-over where you are free from the big poster boy Main Characters is pretty refreshing to me. Nagash being a bogey-man is great for a setting. Nagash being a centerpiece in every army is not.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 7, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Some of this has to be a gameplay design thing, 40K has a bunch of named characters that fill a specific gameplay role because you can't simply kit out a generic unit to do that job.

A bunch of people in youtube videos say "I hate points, it's so much hassle" but being able to take a a Chaos Lord and give him a dragon or a horse or nothing at all and make him fit whatever role in your army that you want is better than finding some narrative character to do that for you.

Definitely. And as a hobbyist, I love putting together some combination on a generic hero, having it do something amazing on the table, and then converting up that specific hero in all its glory as a proper mini.

That's how my bloodthirsty murder-hobbits started in our Frostgrave campaign.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I got roped into WHFB in 3rd grade bc the GW my aunt got my lotr starter from gave me a free White Dearf. It was the TK release issue, and also had a 2000pts of goblins vs 1000pts of high elves last stand scenario battle report.

So those ended up being my armies when I lived with family and had a job but no expenses, like 16-19.

Somebody convince me if I should continue tk or do all night gobbos or high elves for my actual army, once I’m done painting my tk starter

Good things with night gobbos is that they were one of few armies that were left pretty much untouched design-wise with Age of Sigmar. They just got new kits that are, IMHO, some of the better ones of GWs AoS designs.

Also, Orcs and Goblins are, you know, the best, so that's also a reason for going night goblins.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

I've said before, but the O&G list has been expanded slightly to include at least one of the new Night Goblins kits. (Armored squig knights)

The armored squig knights rule. Also, the snotling blood bowl box is a nice source for getting two pump wagons and enough snotlings to populate a few bases.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

adamarama posted:

In terms of characters joining units, do they have to be the same base size? The example I'm thinking of is prophetess on a unicorn joining a brettonian lance.

Haven’t gotten the rulebook yet but there were never such a restriction in any previous edition afaik.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

It's still amazing how much they underestimated this. Six minutes on eBay in 2019 should have told them that yes, people want Bretonnians.

I can't remember a major GW release the last couple of years where lack of supply hasn't been at least somewhat of an issue. In several cases, clusterfuck levels of issue.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I need a vibe check - I want to get into TOW and I have a ton of Beastherd minis that aren't GW. In your own experiences, for local casual game store games, does anyone care as long as everything is based correctly for TOW?

LFGS will usually be chill afaik, just don't be That Guy that plays there but buys everything hobby related online. So if you just buy some paint or whatever in the shop now and then, you should be fine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ro5s posted:

Xpost from the mini painting thread

Nice!

I'm digging out my old O&G myself, it's a mix spanning stuff from the late 80's to the current Night Goblin range. I'll probably end up getting the MtO trolls as those are some of the bigger holes in my middlehammer collection.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I'm not the biggest WFB Nostalgia Guy and I think most these old models they've been digging out of retirement just look bad (not saying you're wrong if you like them, they're just not for me), but good lord these old stone trolls are fantastic. They look like cartoons, in a good way. Whoever did that sculpt absolutely knocked it out of the park.

It was, like much of that era's best sculpts, the Perry Twins. It's like they almost never stray away from plain humans, but when they do, it of course ends up great.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

As a historicals enjoyer, I'm comfortable saying that they've elevated that whole industry by themselves.

Pre-Perrys, historical minis were dire by default.

The perry twins, pretty much singlehandedly, lowered the cost of entry of several of the most popular periods tremendously with their plastic kits (Napoloneics, ACW, Medieval Europe, Early Renaissance Europe). They have had, IMHO, a huge part in making 28mm historicals affordable and making smaller scales (10-18mm) less popular, for good and for bad.

I dug through my attic and I have two old river trolls, one missing a head, and three old stone trolls. Together with the various 3D printed trolls, I might be able to push a troll list if I get one of each troll pack. Hmmm....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Literally, in Michael's case

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The nice thing about the trolls is that they're not really charging any more than if you purchased the current plastics.

The metal MtO trolls are legit cheaper from GW than from the metal recasters I know of. It's insane given that it is GW.

I ended up buying the trolls on the last day available, and well... it gave me an estimated 190 working days for delivery. Means I have time to paint up some orcs and goblins before then.