Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Waltzing Along posted:

Wouldn't shooting a perfectly healthy dog be considered animal abuse. And if so, why hasn't she been arrested?

In most states (especially red ones), animals have the same rights as furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Animal murder is now a political wedge issue and the "all lives are sacred" crowd chose "animal torture and murder is cool and fun"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

dee eight posted:

who the hell is that weirdo anyway?

his name is tom fitton. he runs "judicial watch" which use to be an organization that sued climate change activists before latching onto being pro-trump. he is an all around nutter but the reason he's posting that footage is he's a huge vain narcist who works out and wears t-shirts 1-size too small. internally in his mind there is some kind of story but also, "LOOK AT ME IM SO BUFF, RIGHT?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PuttyKnife posted:

In most states (especially red ones), animals have the same rights as furniture.
Think of the joys! A hierarchy you’re always on the top of! The ability to hurt a feeling creature at your will!

What, you don’t like that?

Lib.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TremorX posted:

Animal murder is now a political wedge issue and the "all lives are sacred" crowd chose "animal torture and murder is cool and fun"

The Death Penalty Crowd who proclaim themselves "Pro-Life"

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

I come here for the TRUMPlols and chuds owning themselves, not to be reminded of old yeller. :(

Yeah I wish we had a forum custodian that could just PM me when the dog murder topic finally stops resurrecting itself.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Yossarian posted:

Why is SCOTUS pushing back the immunity case to June? I know they're delaying it to help Trump, but what reason did they give for the delay?

SCOTUS can release their decision whenever. We are only speculating that it will be June, because that is the end of term and when they normally release all the decisions.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah I wish we had a forum custodian that could just PM me when the dog murder topic finally stops resurrecting itself.

Blame the Governor of South Dakota.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

When Hinckley shot Reagan, one agent pulled a freaking Uzi out of nowhere in about two seconds, so it would have been interesting to see what kind of clandestine firepower appeared in this case.

Yeah and his detail weren't playing by the same rules as the Capitol Police, who clearly had (or believed they had) orders to avoid using force. It's for the best that no other rioters tried to push into that hallway.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1784247793848127753

lol what the gently caress? This is so strange, I dont think I can describe it accurately but he's just kind of standing there and pacing a bit while the video of trump plays behind him. No commentary, no insight, just...staring intently because it's all very serious I guess. What is the point of making a video like this? I just kept waiting for him to do something, anything, to justify making this but nope. I can only assume it's a sex thing and he gets off looking at himself while trump is speaking or something

edit; keep in mind this is one of the great legal scholars trump keeps talking about

His whole schtick was tweeting news and prefacing the headline with words like "HUGE" "MASSIVE" "GIGANTIC" "THROBBING" "ENGORGED"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huge loving deal

First Title IX

Now

quote:

The Biden administration announced expansive new protections on Friday for gay and transgender medical patients, prohibiting federally funded health providers and insurers from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

The new rule reverses a policy instituted by the Trump administration and helps to fulfill part of President Biden’s vow to restore civil rights protections for L.G.B.T.Q. people that were eliminated by his predecessor.

Conservative opponents of the rule have argued that the policy could effectively coerce doctors into performing medical services that they might have objected to, including on religious grounds.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

kazil posted:

SCOTUS can release their decision whenever. We are only speculating that it will be June, because that is the end of term and when they normally release all the decisions.

I suspect the SCOTUS isn't going to rule in Trump's favor on this, though it's probably a good time to figure out what exactly a POTUS ~should~ be able to get away with. but I do think they'll punt the case as far as possible to help him out. that said, how much can they delay it really? decide at the end of June to kick it down to a DC court, DC court takes a month and smacks it down, then another criminal trial starts in September or October? that would be a total disaster for him.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hell yeah Joe Biden woop woop

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

JAMOOOL posted:

I suspect the SCOTUS isn't going to rule in Trump's favor on this, though it's probably a good time to figure out what exactly a POTUS ~should~ be able to get away with. but I do think they'll punt the case as far as possible to help him out. that said, how much can they delay it really? decide at the end of June to kick it down to a DC court, DC court takes a month and smacks it down, then another criminal trial starts in September or October? that would be a total disaster for him.

Kicking it down basically starts the whole process again. Trump will elevate it to appeals, then again to SCOTUS. Trial will probably again be stayed until SCOTUS.

I would not expect any other trials before the election.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ha, I was so confident last year, in texts with a friend: He's got like 5 trials in 2024, one of them is bound to put him in jail well before the election.....

Wrong again!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

kazil posted:

Trump just got drafted at fullback for the New York Jets

full diaper maybe

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Outpost22 posted:

I come here for the TRUMPlols and chuds owning themselves, not to be reminded of old yeller. :(

Too loving bad, his campaign is vocally defending her doing it and she's totally his VP over it now.

Scags McDouglas posted:

She's going to be his VP, over this specifically, so I guess stop reading until after the election cuz it's now a defining campaign policy.

The GOP has a proud tradition of running presidential candidates who abuse dogs, in fact.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 27, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kazil posted:

Kicking it down basically starts the whole process again. Trump will elevate it to appeals, then again to SCOTUS. Trial will probably again be stayed until SCOTUS.

I would not expect any other trials before the election.

How does this work? If it has already been elevated to SCOTUS, why would it go back again after they have decided?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

This in particular is how they're currently owning themselves

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

redshirt posted:

Hell yeah Joe Biden woop woop

Him just quietly doing stuff and avoiding the limelight makes him one of the best liberal presidents we've ever had.

MrQwerty posted:

She's going to be his VP, over this specifically, so I guess stop reading until after the election cuz it's now a defining campaign policy.

Do you know that though. I haven't seen him tip his cards ever on the VP nom.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Waltzing Along posted:

How does this work? If it has already been elevated to SCOTUS, why would it go back again after they have decided?

Because they're not going to decide. They're kicking it back down. They're all playing hot potato because they're cowards.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

They don't have to rule on it, they can just kick it back and tell them to define parameters better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) went after the South Dakota governor for the passage Friday, referring to itself as the “Dogmocratic Party” in a statement.

:lol:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 27, 2024

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

redshirt posted:

I'm so tired of every election being a civilization defining event, but, alas, here we are again.

It always was, and always will be. Good news, if Tmurp wins, you wont have to worry about it anymore.

redshirt posted:

I'm just talking out loud here, but 1984 was 40 years ago. So in 1984, 40 years prior was 1944.

Scags McDouglas posted:

We shouldn't have buried the topic in the Pet Sematary.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Huge loving deal

First Title IX

Now

quote:

Conservative opponents of the rule have argued that the policy could effectively coerce doctors into performing medical services that they might have objected to, including on religious grounds.

Get hosed, bigots.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Who is "They" when it comes to the SC? Is it just Roberts? When you say the SC will send a case back down to the lower courts, who does that? Roberts?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Scags McDouglas posted:

Him just quietly doing stuff and avoiding the limelight makes him one of the best liberal presidents we've ever had.

The problem being that it seems like people love to just blindly swallow Republican messaging, but, well

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

She got a makeover to look like Ivanka and her dog killing pissed off ALL the libs, now the entire right wing machine is going all-in on dog murder being hilarious and acceptable. I'd say she's got a better shot than anyone else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VP means nothing to Trump and I doubt it means anything to Trump voters. So this is all a tempest in a teacup, of course, but that is productive IMO.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

I'd say she's got a better shot than anyone else.

There are many ways you could have worded that, the one you chose :discourse:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Regardless of if she gets it or not, "shooting a dog in public is perfectly acceptable if you're going to rip 9 month old babies out of women and murder them on the spot," is now a talking point.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

They don't have to rule on it, they can just kick it back and tell them to define parameters better.

Yup we get another round of decisions and appeals over what constitutes an official act.

quote:

The conservative justices appeared to favor returning the case to lower courts to perform more analysis. They asked questions about which of Trump's actions cited by the prosecution were taken in an official capacity, as opposed to a private one - and if an official capacity, which of those acts may deserve some immunity.
Such a ruling could further delay Trump's trial if lower courts must perform a rigorous probe.
The Supreme Court's decision to put off hearing arguments over immunity until this month, months after lower courts acted, already postponed Trump's trial, which had been scheduled for March. Legal experts have said a ruling would be needed by about June 1 for Trump's trial to be held before the election.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-supreme-court-weighs-trumps-bid-immunity-prosecution-2024-04-25/

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So, besides the current NY criminal trial, we're probably not gonna get any others before the election.

Nice work, wheels of justice.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/leftofcentermi/status/1782899321437815033?s=46

https://twitter.com/leftofcentermi/status/1782911971936870781?s=46

Christians are the loving worst

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I dont think you have to particularly woke to think that killing puppies is very bad. But I guess woke is now anyone who isnt a violent psychopath.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

She got a makeover to look like Ivanka and her dog killing pissed off ALL the libs, now the entire right wing machine is going all-in on dog murder being hilarious and acceptable. I'd say she's got a better shot than anyone else.

Someone making plays to want the VP nom doesn't actually equate to getting it though. I know this derail is stupid, and I deserve getting kicked in the pants, but this is just an outrage du jour. I've read nothing in the tea leaves that indicates he's selecting her.

That said if she IS the pick, I'll take my whippin's.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Christians are the loving worst

Religions exception for me and not for thee.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd love to be a fly in Noem HQ today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

He is likely to pick someone that appeals to his base at this point, I don't think he is going to go looking for a moderate anyone. I don't see him having a VP that has ever criticized him or ran against him in any capacity. He wants someone that will give him unquestioning loyalty and will be happy to stand by if he tries to consolidate power or perform a coup. Noem meets that requirement, and because she is a woman Trump can make unflattering comparisons between VPs based deeply in racism and misogyny, which will appeal to his base. Having the VP be a subservient woman will also appeal to his base and Evangelicals. She seems like the perfect pick; there is no need to find a moderate to mollify undecided voters at this point. Everyone knows who Trump is and what they are going to get with him, and they know the VP will be powerless to reign in any of his behaviour.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
if america was a tesla its at the redscreen that locks all the doors and the transmission stage
no smoke yet but there's a smell and you cant get that panel prised open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Carlos Lantana posted:

if america was a tesla its at the redscreen that locks all the doors and the transmission stage
no smoke yet but there's a smell and you cant get that panel prised open

Can I still play Witcher 3 on it tho?