Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Season over? Angry about it? Satisfied with mediocrity? Interested in writing a long rear end post analyzing what went wrong? This is the thread for you.

Welcome to the off-season thread for complaining. If your favorite team’s season is over (colts), you can post here about it. If you want to make a short post? Go ahead. If you want to write an incredibly tedious blogpost / novella / screed, like I’m going to do, please do so. No pressure. If you just have a couple sentences that is cool too.

NO TEAMS THAT HAVE MORE GAMES LEFT TO PLAY ALLOWED. GO AWAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Welcome to the bengals, titans, jaguars, panthers, falcons, saints, patriots, and jets.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots completely and utterly failed to fix their offense, and it ends an era.

Mac was failed and failed himself, going into the season with nothing close to an answer at RT killed the season before it started. Letting a solidly good receiver in Jakobi Meyers leave to replace him with a more expensive JuJu was a complete failure.

Trading a 3rd for DeVante Parker last year? Panic signing Mike Gesicki so you have a guy who can catch footballs? Sucks to suck.

Zeke was as advertised at least, a middling platoon back who goes forward but can't break plays, the perfect plodder for a dead, sucky offense.

Defense was completely let down. Lose their two best players a month into the season and still played their balls off all year and were a drat good unit.... and now they lose Belichick, so that'll be a regression.

Come on down either QB prospect or Marvin Harrison Jr.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love being right.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Titans managed to not only knock out the Busters but we also held onto pick 7. Best case scenario lmao

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I hate being right. The Jets have managed to not only gently caress themselves this year, they've committed to loving themselves even worse next year. I was shouting about what a bad idea the Rodgers trade was from the start and the only surprise is that it's turning out to be even worse than I imagined. A QB who wasn't even in the organization won a power struggle against the head coach and GM here, forcing us to make a horrible trade for his ancient busted up bitch rear end and sign all his dogshit friends, coach included.

Now we're doubling down, nobody in the organization besides him is even pretending to give a poo poo. We're going to waste the prime years of our miracle draft on Rodgers' ego and most of them will probably walk when their contracts are up, just like Bryce Huff is about to do. The first good edge rusher we've had in multiple decades and we're gonna let him walk.

There's bad years where everything goes wrong, or rebuilding years, but this is different. This is everything they wanted. This is what it looks like when everything goes according to plan. They aren't just content with the disaster of this year and the next, they're proud of it. I've tolerated a lot from the Jets but this is too much even for me.

I'm hopping on the Lions bandwagon.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Not gonna go into the Panthers (Panthers goons have been complaining loudly all season), but between Stroud winning a playoff berth last night and Panthers being shut out twice in a row to end the season, I hope David Tepper is being a big pissbaby right now, and I hope his dumb rear end stays mad. gently caress you you piece of poo poo

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
bill's probably gone, and it's probably right, and it's sad. time comes for all things. i think he'll have a swan song somewhere else, have a couple good seasons and maybe another ring, but he definitely kind of calcified after brady left. eager to see what we can do with the first top five pick we've had since i've had a working brain and where we go for a new coach (good loving luck to whoever it is, i hope it's not jerod mayo because i'd like to see him have a career lol)

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Titans just need to find an entire offensive line and defensive secondary and potentially a new coaching staff with all the smoke around Vrabel so next year is looking like Tits down again before the season even starts

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Bengos defense really regressed this year. I think the loss of Jessie Bates and Vonn Bell in FA hurt more than anticipated. If Burrow had stayed healthy the team may have limped into the playoffs but would've probably been a one and done. The lack of a consistent running game also hurt the offense and Mixon looks to be washed at this point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the cincinnati defense was a lot worse with nick scott playing. the third round draft pick from this season is better than him and it took too long for them to go with that. idk if he's a bad fit for the defense or regressed to garbage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dennis Allen needs to get fired for apologizing for refusing to do a favor to his players and them overriding him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Seahawks were what everybody knew they were. Pete needs to move on and Geno is fine as a bridge but it's time to start throwing darts at the QB board. Receiving corps kicks rear end and Devon Witherspoon kicks rear end. Please please please get a better run defense.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vikings should be at the start of a full rebuild next year.

They've been "stealth" rebuilding but it's time to find the next generation at QB and find some defensive talent. I hope Brian Flores stays but this year's defense has been limited by the lack of talent outside a few guys. They played (except for the last few games) worlds better than last year though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah I posted this already but this seems more appropriate

I’m extremely disappointed and there’s a lot to be said about refereeing helping cost Indy the season (Browns game and letting Houston line up offsides repeatedly) but when it came down to it we didn’t execute what should have been a well planned easy play. I feel really bad for Goodson.

But Texans fans seem pretty cool so I guess there’s that. Congratulations on the playoffs fellas

Sorry Athanatos and Codependent Poster and my other tinyhorse bros

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The Titans finished 6-11, losing a ton of really important and embarassing games but also humiliating Joe Burrow, Trevor Bust, Arthur Smith, and Tua Tagovailoa in the process. Overall this was a season of high highs, deeply loving low lows, and probably the worst left tackle play in modern nfl history. Let’s talk about it.

Really the main sticking point here, for the second season in a row, is that the offensive line was so criminally execrable that the rest of the offense could only function in fits and spurts. Skoronski was the best guy on the line and he hit the rookie wall by week 13 or 14, basically everything after the dolphins game was rough. Brunskill is still fine and if he’s your worst lineman then you’re probably doing great but in our case, he was the second best one lol. The center and both tackle positions need to be upgraded. Chris Hubbard looked ok at RT but had a ton of help from our tight ends and extra eligible linemen, and Radunz and NPF were both bad. The left tackles were an abomination, Jaelyn Duncan had one ok game and then was awful the rest of the way and Andre Dillard was somehow worse than the guy from last season. The OL coach is going to be one and done if I had to guess.

The running backs both showed good things when they weren’t getting slammed in the backfield immediately. Henry is trending downward but it looked worse because of the terrible run blocking, he still has enough in the tank to be useful in Nashville or elsewhere. Get him behind a line that isn’t dogshit and I think he’ll do fine. Tyjae spears looked awesome, no qualifiers needed. The tight end room looks promising, okonkwo had a rough start to the year but played well after the bye week. Josh whyle looked good when he wasn’t hurt. The wide receivers room still sucks, Hopkins was excellent but needs somebody with some speed across from him. Treylon burks is going to be absolutely buried on the depth chart if he doesn’t get cut altogether, the other guys aren’t worth talking about really (shout out NWI, another consistently acceptable campaign from him, we’ll never be rid of the guy). Wouldn’t be surprised to see our WR coach go, he’s been here a long time but I imagine coaching staff changes will be expected and he makes sense to cut bait on right now.

Really the most important thing is that Will Levis showed enough that you feel good about giving him the keys next season. He wasn’t incredible but he was getting beat to poo poo and with marginally better line play and some new pass catchers I think he’ll show out big time. Hoping they keep the QB coach in place, Levis looked way better than I was expecting. Tannehill was bad, I feel bad for him losing his spot but he single-handedly blew the first game of the year and is clearly on his last leg. He’ll get a starting job in New England or Las Vegas or some poo poo and get usurped by another rookie if I had to guess. He could still be useful behind a good line but his mobility is diminished after ankle injuries and that was an important part of what he offered. Malik Willis is going to be heading to the practice squad. I’m guessing they bring in a new backup from outside the organization, there’s too many holes to draft a project guy late.

The defense was great at two things (pass rush, red zone play) and really bad at stopping anything else. The secondary needs a lot of new bodies (chidobe awuzie has Future Titan written all over over him IMO), and the run defense went from incredible to below average this season, which you can largely pin on the bad linebackers and inconsistent play from everyone we put at nose tackle next to Simmons. I expect a lot of money will go towards a big body to replace teair tart.

At this point the main questions facing the titans are:

What happens with vrabel and carthon? There were lots of rumors about vrabel wanting out. He has a year left on his deal and I strongly doubt he gets fired. I think the team absolutely needs to give it another year but if vrabel actually wants out (I doubt it but not as firm on that as I was a month ago), they should try and trade him. Hope it doesn’t come to that. If vrabel does stay I think the OC and DC are safe, both units were not good but they made chicken salad out of UDFAs on defense and the oline was so bad that you could have Kyle Shanahan and Sean mcvay coaching it together and it still wouldn’t matter. I think some of the position coaches are probably gone though.

What do they do with the draft pick? 7 might be just out of range for Fashanu and Joe Alt, in which event they need to draft Malik Nabers as quickly as possible. If one of the top two tackles are available they ought to grab whichever one is there and take a speedy receiver at the top of Round 2. Elite tackles don’t hit free agency and fixing the left tackle position is absolutely the most important priority for this team. The first two draft picks should be a tackle and a wide receiver. CB, ILB, NT, C, and to a lesser degree RG all ought to be up for consideration in the later rounds if they don’t double up elsewhere. A top CB has to be a priority in FA, I would try and find as many defensive options as possible and go hard on offense in the draft.

Overall a pretty bad season but the wins were all loving hilarious, lot of hope for the future with Levis. All that matters is keeping him upright to give him a real chance next season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm removing my demand that you change execrable to a word that you really use after poring over the evidence. please stop reading this post

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 8, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
🙏

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Overall a pretty bad season but the wins were all loving hilarious.

The Titans in a nutshell. (Also kinda the Giants, some shared energy between the mythos teams.)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I quite enjoyed your breakdown. Good poo poo.

When it comes to the Panthers I could probably write a novel on what went wrong this year, coaching staff, execution, roster and everything else but realistically the problem is that the team currently has the personality of the owner. Or I should say, the franchise does. They're impatient, they're ineffective and they're directionless. What the gently caress is this team trying to be? How the gently caress are they going to get there? Who the gently caress is going to take them there?

There's plenty of paths forward, there's even plenty of talent on the defensive side at some key positions, there's even some bare bones on the offense that could be built around with some competence in the org. I simply have no confidence in our ownership managing to get us there.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I was pretty mad at Daboll for most of this season because it seemed like the Giants were not prepared to play! I agree that the Giants were likely coming back down to earth, they did overachieve last season! Still, coming out and losing 40-0 to the Cowboys in a game that wasn't as close as the score seemed to indicate was humiliating. Cowboys are a better team, yeah I can agree with that but what were the Giants doing all offseason? Daboll was hungover from being the toast of the town last offseason.

At least they fired Bobby Johnson. Holy poo poo, 85 sacks given up by that offensive line. Get some talent in there in the offseason and hope Thomas is 100%. Maybe this lights a fire under Daboll.

Jones did alright last season, but not 'let's give the guy 40 million a season' good. Shoulda franchised him to see if he can repeat last season. The team looked much better when he was out, even with Tommy Cutlets behind center. The contract makes things a little bit awkward for this upcoming season but the Giants have a shot at drafting Jones' replacement before they cut him after next season.

Yesterday was likely the end of Barkley and Shepard in a Giants uniform. Wish they would have stayed healthy.

Okereke was a good signing! The Giants still need to build a bit more on defense. Hopefully Thibodeaux gets more consistent.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Bailey Zappe loving sucks and everyone who was calling for him to play cause "he has moxie" and thought he actually could be a viable answer is a loving idiot. Thankfully that experience should be dead and buried and then the earth salted over

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Nodoze posted:

Bailey Zappe loving sucks and everyone who was calling for him to play cause "he has moxie" and thought he actually could be a viable answer is a loving idiot. Thankfully that experience should be dead and buried and then the earth salted over

Bailey Zappe is at like, serviceable backup level on a good day. He's absolutely not the long term answer for the Pats and I think a lot of that was just a reflection of how much Mac Jones has sucked the last two years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Zappe's a backup, he was fun last year when he had those two good games, but he was so brutally bad in the preseason, that they cut him without issue at the end of camp and I was completely out on him.

Then Mac was so loving bad, they had to play him instead and were right to do so.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Arizona Cardinals: are they any good? No. Will they be? Also probably not. But the general consensus among goon Cardinal fans is this year was surprisingly good. A sad thought for a 4-13 season but 3 of their wins were against playoff teams. The HC has poo poo for talent to work with but who knows if they'll add more.

Will they cut Kyler loose? Will they draft Marvin Jr. And hope the run game works out? Who knows. I'm kind of expecting Murray to be in a Steelers or even Falcons jersey next year

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
An extra big "gently caress you" to baby bitch Josh McDaniels. I'm so happy that Antonio Pierce, a dude who mostly coached high school football, took over the team and made a complete turnaround in every possible way. I've never seen a team that loving happy to have a coach be fired, it's hilarious. If we don't keep AP, Davis is an even bigger idiot than previously thought. The only other acceptable coaching hire is Harbaugh but that's it.

No idea what happens next year but for now I'm content with the team actually having the foundation of a new identity going forward. At least we split the Chargers and Chiefs (an awesome bonus Xmas gift!) and swept the Broncos as God intended.

I'm also happy that the Patriots are bad and hope they pick the wrong QB in the draft and suck poo poo for a few decades.

Come on Bills v Lions Superbowl, a game in which only good guys are playing and everyone wins!

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Zero members of the Denver Broncos accumulated 800 rushing or receiving yards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sirtommygunn posted:

I hate being right. The Jets have managed to not only gently caress themselves this year, they've committed to loving themselves even worse next year. I was shouting about what a bad idea the Rodgers trade was from the start and the only surprise is that it's turning out to be even worse than I imagined. A QB who wasn't even in the organization won a power struggle against the head coach and GM here, forcing us to make a horrible trade for his ancient busted up bitch rear end and sign all his dogshit friends, coach included.

Now we're doubling down, nobody in the organization besides him is even pretending to give a poo poo. We're going to waste the prime years of our miracle draft on Rodgers' ego and most of them will probably walk when their contracts are up, just like Bryce Huff is about to do. The first good edge rusher we've had in multiple decades and we're gonna let him walk.

There's bad years where everything goes wrong, or rebuilding years, but this is different. This is everything they wanted. This is what it looks like when everything goes according to plan. They aren't just content with the disaster of this year and the next, they're proud of it. I've tolerated a lot from the Jets but this is too much even for me.

I'm hopping on the Lions bandwagon.

This is the worst it's ever been as a Jet fan. I have absolutely no hope.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Seeing some people try to argue that Belichick will stay on the Pats and give up being GM and just coach and uhhhh

Like just being pressured into dumping the Patricia/Judge obvious gigantic failure at OC for BOB caused him to immediately undercut BOB by not letting him make the offensive staff hires he wanted and keep some of the old retread turds.

What about that makes anyone think he can play nice with a GM hired explicitly becuase his own instincts can't be trusted by the owner?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

mcmagic posted:

This is the worst it's ever been as a Jet fan. I have absolutely no hope.

Just imagine, you had an elite QB who you decided to not return his phone calls this year, and could have played anytime last year. Instead you played Zach and died, got Rodgers and found that the 5th snap is not the football, and instead your star QB went to the hellhole of Ohio and started throwing bombshells after sitting on the couch for the season.

Yet it still is better then the buttfumble year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rogue0071 posted:

Bailey Zappe is at like, serviceable backup level on a good day. He's absolutely not the long term answer for the Pats and I think a lot of that was just a reflection of how much Mac Jones has sucked the last two years.

I dont even think Zappe is a serviceable backup, he is incredibly loose with the football on top of being bad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Just imagine, you had an elite QB who you decided to not return his phone calls this year, and could have played anytime last year. Instead you played Zach and died, got Rodgers and found that the 5th snap is not the football, and instead your star QB went to the hellhole of Ohio and started throwing bombshells after sitting on the couch for the season.

Yet it still is better then the buttfumble year.

It's not. The buttfumble was a stupid play but that team had zero expectations and was clearly going nowhere.

Also Flacco was here before and played like poo poo. There is zero chance he would've come here with this offensive staff and this OL this year and played good. Zero. Him going to the Browns and playing well doesn't really bother me at all.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Nodoze posted:

I dont even think Zappe is a serviceable backup, he is incredibly loose with the football on top of being bad

I included "on a good day" for a reason there.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

solarjetman posted:

Zero members of the Denver Broncos accumulated 800 rushing or receiving yards.

That's pretty dismal, goddamn. Even the 2023 poo poo-tastic Raiders offense had 3 guys with 800+

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Phobeste posted:

i think he'll have a swan song somewhere else, have a couple good seasons and maybe another ring,

This is the Pats fan equivalent of thinking Zach Wilson might turn it around in his second season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, even the patriots had 2

Look at this dogshit:

955 - Zeke 642 rushing yards, 3.5 YPC. 313 receiving yards on *65* targets
857 - Rhamondre Stevenson 619 rushing, 4.0 YPC. 238 receiving on 51 targets
602 - Demario Douglas: 41 rushing, 561 receiving on 78 targets
419 - Hunter Henry: 419 receiving on 61 targets
410 - Kendrick Bourne: 406 on 55 targets (in 8 games)
394 - DeVante Parker: 394 on 55 targets
260 - JuJu Smith-Schuster: 260 on 47 targets
244 - Mike Gesicki: 244 on 45 targets
208 - Pharoah Brown: 208 on 15 targets
155 - Jalen Reagor: 138 on 24 targets
142 - Tyquan Thornton: 51 rushing, 91 receiving on 23 targets

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants looked poopy this year, wasn't fun

this has been my report card

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Giants looked poopy this year, wasn't fun

this has been my report card

On the plus side, Tommy cutlets was a fun thing for like 10 minutes

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Welcome to the bengals, titans, jaguars, panthers, falcons, saints, patriots, and jets.

Seahawks are here!!! Step aside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I would be very curious about what led Belichick down the path he took the last few years of only hiring ex-players and retread assistants. Certainly if you look back in the early and mid dynasty years he had plenty of examples of bringing in assistant coaches that were outside of his immediate sphere. Was it money? Not wanting to go out of his comfort zone? Ego? Just some very strange decisions that caused him to self-sabotage. Of course even discounting the awful staff he's assembled, the team is just completely bereft of offensive talent. Which again, you have to mostly lay the blame at his feet with a series of awful drafts and bad free agent moves.

I'm grateful for all the incredible success he brought, but boy, does he need to go. I hope he is able to adapt at his next stop, but I'm skeptical.