Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Season over? Angry about it? Satisfied with mediocrity? Interested in writing a long rear end post analyzing what went wrong? This is the thread for you.

Welcome to the off-season thread for complaining. If your favorite team’s season is over (colts), you can post here about it. If you want to make a short post? Go ahead. If you want to write an incredibly tedious blogpost / novella / screed, like I’m going to do, please do so. No pressure. If you just have a couple sentences that is cool too.

NO TEAMS THAT HAVE MORE GAMES LEFT TO PLAY ALLOWED. GO AWAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Welcome to the bengals, titans, jaguars, panthers, falcons, saints, patriots, and jets.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Titans managed to not only knock out the Busters but we also held onto pick 7. Best case scenario lmao

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The Titans finished 6-11, losing a ton of really important and embarassing games but also humiliating Joe Burrow, Trevor Bust, Arthur Smith, and Tua Tagovailoa in the process. Overall this was a season of high highs, deeply loving low lows, and probably the worst left tackle play in modern nfl history. Let’s talk about it.

Really the main sticking point here, for the second season in a row, is that the offensive line was so criminally execrable that the rest of the offense could only function in fits and spurts. Skoronski was the best guy on the line and he hit the rookie wall by week 13 or 14, basically everything after the dolphins game was rough. Brunskill is still fine and if he’s your worst lineman then you’re probably doing great but in our case, he was the second best one lol. The center and both tackle positions need to be upgraded. Chris Hubbard looked ok at RT but had a ton of help from our tight ends and extra eligible linemen, and Radunz and NPF were both bad. The left tackles were an abomination, Jaelyn Duncan had one ok game and then was awful the rest of the way and Andre Dillard was somehow worse than the guy from last season. The OL coach is going to be one and done if I had to guess.

The running backs both showed good things when they weren’t getting slammed in the backfield immediately. Henry is trending downward but it looked worse because of the terrible run blocking, he still has enough in the tank to be useful in Nashville or elsewhere. Get him behind a line that isn’t dogshit and I think he’ll do fine. Tyjae spears looked awesome, no qualifiers needed. The tight end room looks promising, okonkwo had a rough start to the year but played well after the bye week. Josh whyle looked good when he wasn’t hurt. The wide receivers room still sucks, Hopkins was excellent but needs somebody with some speed across from him. Treylon burks is going to be absolutely buried on the depth chart if he doesn’t get cut altogether, the other guys aren’t worth talking about really (shout out NWI, another consistently acceptable campaign from him, we’ll never be rid of the guy). Wouldn’t be surprised to see our WR coach go, he’s been here a long time but I imagine coaching staff changes will be expected and he makes sense to cut bait on right now.

Really the most important thing is that Will Levis showed enough that you feel good about giving him the keys next season. He wasn’t incredible but he was getting beat to poo poo and with marginally better line play and some new pass catchers I think he’ll show out big time. Hoping they keep the QB coach in place, Levis looked way better than I was expecting. Tannehill was bad, I feel bad for him losing his spot but he single-handedly blew the first game of the year and is clearly on his last leg. He’ll get a starting job in New England or Las Vegas or some poo poo and get usurped by another rookie if I had to guess. He could still be useful behind a good line but his mobility is diminished after ankle injuries and that was an important part of what he offered. Malik Willis is going to be heading to the practice squad. I’m guessing they bring in a new backup from outside the organization, there’s too many holes to draft a project guy late.

The defense was great at two things (pass rush, red zone play) and really bad at stopping anything else. The secondary needs a lot of new bodies (chidobe awuzie has Future Titan written all over over him IMO), and the run defense went from incredible to below average this season, which you can largely pin on the bad linebackers and inconsistent play from everyone we put at nose tackle next to Simmons. I expect a lot of money will go towards a big body to replace teair tart.

At this point the main questions facing the titans are:

What happens with vrabel and carthon? There were lots of rumors about vrabel wanting out. He has a year left on his deal and I strongly doubt he gets fired. I think the team absolutely needs to give it another year but if vrabel actually wants out (I doubt it but not as firm on that as I was a month ago), they should try and trade him. Hope it doesn’t come to that. If vrabel does stay I think the OC and DC are safe, both units were not good but they made chicken salad out of UDFAs on defense and the oline was so bad that you could have Kyle Shanahan and Sean mcvay coaching it together and it still wouldn’t matter. I think some of the position coaches are probably gone though.

What do they do with the draft pick? 7 might be just out of range for Fashanu and Joe Alt, in which event they need to draft Malik Nabers as quickly as possible. If one of the top two tackles are available they ought to grab whichever one is there and take a speedy receiver at the top of Round 2. Elite tackles don’t hit free agency and fixing the left tackle position is absolutely the most important priority for this team. The first two draft picks should be a tackle and a wide receiver. CB, ILB, NT, C, and to a lesser degree RG all ought to be up for consideration in the later rounds if they don’t double up elsewhere. A top CB has to be a priority in FA, I would try and find as many defensive options as possible and go hard on offense in the draft.

Overall a pretty bad season but the wins were all loving hilarious, lot of hope for the future with Levis. All that matters is keeping him upright to give him a real chance next season.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
🙏

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Geno smith was not the issue this season, seattles defense was bad

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Bismack Billabongo posted:

What happens with vrabel and carthon? There were lots of rumors about vrabel wanting out. He has a year left on his deal and I strongly doubt he gets fired. I think the team absolutely needs to give it another year but if vrabel actually wants out (I doubt it but not as firm on that as I was a month ago), they should try and trade him. Hope it doesn’t come to that. If vrabel does stay I think the OC and DC are safe, both units were not good but they made chicken salad out of UDFAs on defense and the oline was so bad that you could have Kyle Shanahan and Sean mcvay coaching it together and it still wouldn’t matter. I think some of the position coaches are probably gone though.

Guess we answered that!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Have to wonder if the Browns best shot was this season. They’re basically obliged to go back to the nasty man next year. He certainly doesn’t elevate the team ceiling at all the way things stand. Lol. LMAO.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t have beef with any current cowboys or their fans but this was hilarious

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Feel like the rams are in a pretty good spot for next year but also they really need to figure out a succession plan for Stanford, the likelihood of him making it through another season unscathed like this year is pretty slim. Fun team though and I feel like they’re a shoo in for at least a wildcard spot as long as stafford is upright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
This lions L takes me back to the good old days of rooting for the lions to lose on thanksgiving every year and being rewarded with increasingly embarrassing losses. Good poo poo