Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I was watching some streaming service and it had this for free and it's a neat show. I like the best the interstitials with Alfred Hitchcock explaining it and telling funny quips he is a funny guy. The actual show is a different story every week based on a short story or something (I guess from the very few eps I've seen). It seems though kind of hamstringed by being on TV and having to fit to the norms of TV at the time.

I was watching one the other day and Vincent Price was the main guy and he was a lawyer or detective I'm not sure but he was responsible for solving crimes. And he solved a murder but then another guy later came and said "you solved the murder wrong you sent the wrong man to the electric chair". And he explained how the murder was actually done, where a woman had done the murder and the guy who was executed for the murder didn't do the murder personally but helped her cover it up and took the blame for it. So I am wondering, isn't that enough for him to be executed, he helped cover it up after the fact? (asking based on how the law works, not asking about a moral argument on if the death penalty is right).

Then Vincent Price killed the guy and got away with it and it was cool. But then Alfred Hitchcock explained at the end that the guy didn't get away with it for long and got caught. Which is a lame ending. But I think the TV network kind of forced that on him because it was a rule back then that criminals could not get away with their crimes on TV.

Anyway does anyone else like this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
It's been a long time since I've seen any episodes but I remember the stories generally being good.

I used to watch it on Nick at Nite and now I feel old

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah it's a real real good show, clever writing, I watch an odd ep from time to time

e. The segments with Hitchcock addressing the audience are the best, he's a proto shitposter

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I loved this show so much as a kid, it was usually an interesting story and he's a legit funny and great host.

Also, A+ intro

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's a great show! I love the one with the lovely boss on the autopsy table; it's a beautiful story.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Seems to be a fair few of these on ye olde YouTube.. thanks for the rec!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Never heard of it before, but it sounds interesting and I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

you broke my grill posted:

Then Vincent Price killed the guy and got away with it and it was cool. But then Alfred Hitchcock explained at the end that the guy didn't get away with it for long and got caught. Which is a lame ending. But I think the TV network kind of forced that on him because it was a rule back then that criminals could not get away with their crimes on TV.

There's a few times where Hitchcock explicitly says the network made him add that ending. He would also make fun of the advertisers which is pretty funny too.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i remember reading a hitchcock interview wherein he stated that his dreams were always boring and mundane with no murders or weird stuff involved

the theme music for his show is called 'funeral march of a marionette' by charles gounod

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
was hoping the first post just said:

His Balls.

This fucks up my whole morning.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The only episode I remember was this guy running around his house yelling "great Caesars ghost!" And then the ghost of Caesar popped in and was like "sup"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's a good show. Old though, beware young folks!

Anyone read the series of books "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Three Investigators"?

Hardy Boy type mysteries, with more of an edge. The 3 lads had an awesome HQ in a junk yard.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

dee eight posted:

i remember reading a hitchcock interview wherein he stated that his dreams were always boring and mundane with no murders or weird stuff involved
the theme music for his show is called 'funeral march of a marionette' by charles gounod

it's classic (it's also in my head right now, and probably yours reading this)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

redshirt posted:

It's a good show. Old though, beware young folks!

Anyone read the series of books "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Three Investigators"?

Hardy Boy type mysteries, with more of an edge. The 3 lads had an awesome HQ in a junk yard.

Hell yeah! :cool: My school library had them all, I still remember the cover of the one with the chinese ghost, and their junkyard HQ was so cool. It was a camper van buried in trash with its own phone line iirc.

I forgot why they had to report back to Alfred Hitchcock though.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

kntfkr posted:

was hoping the first post just said:

His Balls.

This fucks up my whole morning.

It was actually his cock.

Get it. Hitchcock.

I hope you have enjoyed this joke critique.

Looking at the wiki apparently there is a whole book of stories the TV censors would not allow. May need to check this out. I loved this show growing up.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I loved this show so much as a kid, it was usually an interesting story and he's a legit funny and great host.

Also, A+ intro

Every interview I’ve seen with Hitchcock has always been comical and informative. Dude was really funny given his morbid works.

And yeah, show rocks.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man I haven't thought about this show in literal decades but I enjoyed watching it at Grandma's house as a kid.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dixville posted:

It was actually his cock.

Get it. Hitchcock.

I hope you have enjoyed this joke critique.

Looking at the wiki apparently there is a whole book of stories the TV censors would not allow. May need to check this out. I loved this show growing up.

I'm a balls guy

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

The only episode I remember was this guy running around his house yelling "great Caesars ghost!" And then the ghost of Caesar popped in and was like "sup"

Wasn’t that an episode of Superman where some goons pretended to be Caesar’s ghost to try to make Perry White think he went crazy?

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.

Secks Cauldron posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen any episodes but I remember the stories generally being good.

I used to watch it on Nick at Nite and now I feel old

Bah, Nick at Nite was amazing.

I've been going back through the episodes on the Roku channel and they still hold up from when I was a kid.

Hitchcock may have been a complete rear end off camera, but the show puts that in the wings for me.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.

Szyznyk posted:

Wasn’t that an episode of Superman where some goons pretended to be Caesar’s ghost to try to make Perry White think he went crazy?

I believe it was from him saying "Great Caesar's ghost" a certain number of times. I think it was 1000, kind of like Beetlejuice, but cornier.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
There was an episode of Superman where he discovered he had the power to phase through objects. He used it once and it was never, ever brought up again, and certainly never appeared in any other Superman media, but I know what I saw!