Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Does UGA have one of those huge campuses where the bars aren't walkable? When I was in school nobody drove drunk because you could walk to anywhere in about ten minutes max but when I went to visit some of my friends at bigger schools there was a lot of driving under the influence.

UGA has one of the best downtown scenes I've ever seen. I've had a blast every time. Driving seems mostly optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU crowns 4 national champs, breaks the all time points record. They also beat second place by 100 points, obliterating the old record by 30. Starocci and Brooks are both 4 time NCAA champs, making them the 6th and 7th guys to ever do it. Got real choked up after Starocci's win when he basically confirmed he wrestled the whole tournament with a torn ACL. Barely have any words for this. A performance the likes of which may never be seen again.

I'm counting this as an ISU win because you stole our coach 10 years ago (or whenever that was). Not that I'm bitter about it or anything!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

harperdc posted:

I’ve generally liked Oregon scheduling one OOC game as a marquee, and one against like a MWC team or something, and every other year playing the FCS commuter school that is Portland State.

I guess now I have to say OOC we have to add the Oregon State game to that list :smith:

It still doesn’t feel real that my conference is dead and we’re playing all those Other Side of the Rose Bowl teams in-conference next year, so it’s hard to say what PAC-10/12 games otherwise I’d want to keep. Wazzu if we never have to go to Pullman, Utah, maybe Cal or Stanford…but those were always based on the team at the time, not as fundamental as playing little brother in Corvallis or the Huskies.

I'd like to see Oklahoma as a regular OOC game for Oregon to regularly clarify the UO/OU thing for people

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hokies had a wrestler win a Natty. Only program to bring Natty's to Blacksburg that's an officially sanctioned sport. Go wrestling.

In an ideal world VT would play the following teams annually:
UVA
WVU
Miami
Tennessee
NCSU
PSU

Teams that I would enjoy seeing regularly on the schedule:
GT
UNC
Clemson
Kentucky
Cincy

Teams that I think would be an interesting series/should be revisited more often:
Texas A&M
LSU
FSU
Rutgers

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does anybody have the list of teams Paterno was trying to rangle together for his proposed Eastern conference

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Temple, and Maryland

Basically the Big East Experience featuring Penn State

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
There's talk of Kentucky dropping Louisville as an annual game if the SEC goes to 9 conference games. I do think 9 is the right move for the SEC, but I absolutely do not want to lose that rivalry game. It means more to the fans than most of the SEC rivals, maybe with the exception of Tennessee for the eastern part of the state. To me it is a must keep.

I'd also like to see more games against area teams, for example:
Indiana
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Purdue
Virginia or VT
UNC or Duke

I'm sure it won't happen in the current setup. For teams like Kentucky those MAC games are necessary for bowl eligibility. But it's not like those teams above are unbeatable in any given year, and no offense to Akron or Eastern Michigan but would be a lot more exciting from a fan's perspective.

For the SEC, if they go 9 with 3 permanent rivals, I really liked the setup with Kentucky getting Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. Not nearly as fond of the other proposal that showed South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi State.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I would like to see Penn State play the following every year:

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Miami
WVU
Michigan State (Land Grant Trophy)
Pitt and/or VT

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/isaiahhole/status/1772316313127453143?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

My RB1 this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

There's talk of Kentucky dropping Louisville as an annual game if the SEC goes to 9 conference games. I do think 9 is the right move for the SEC, but I absolutely do not want to lose that rivalry game. It means more to the fans than most of the SEC rivals, maybe with the exception of Tennessee for the eastern part of the state. To me it is a must keep.

I'd also like to see more games against area teams, for example:
Indiana
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Purdue
Virginia or VT
UNC or Duke

I'm sure it won't happen in the current setup. For teams like Kentucky those MAC games are necessary for bowl eligibility. But it's not like those teams above are unbeatable in any given year, and no offense to Akron or Eastern Michigan but would be a lot more exciting from a fan's perspective.

For the SEC, if they go 9 with 3 permanent rivals, I really liked the setup with Kentucky getting Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. Not nearly as fond of the other proposal that showed South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi State.

Iowa State plays 9 conference games and we still play Iowa every year. I'd have to lose the Iowa game, even if it means we essentially never play any other P5 teams, but I don't really care, I'd rather keep the Iowa game. It's our last rivalry game still around since Mizzou left for the SEC. Frankly, I don't see why Kentucky couldn't keep it up. They really want to replace it with like a MAC or Sun Belt team?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa State plays 9 conference games and we still play Iowa every year. I'd have to lose the Iowa game, even if it means we essentially never play any other P5 teams, but I don't really care, I'd rather keep the Iowa game. It's our last rivalry game still around since Mizzou left for the SEC. Frankly, I don't see why Kentucky couldn't keep it up. They really want to replace it with like a MAC or Sun Belt team?

Aren't Iowa and ISU legally mandated to play every year?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The worst part about the pandemic, aside from all those people dying, was that PSU-VT got canned.

We've never even met in a bowl game! Practically the only combination of Mid-Atlantic teams that haven't played.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't miss games in Ames in late November, but I do miss throwing this thing out on the field to be won:

(the other side of the phone is black and gold)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

Aren't Iowa and ISU legally mandated to play every year?

No. Some legislators encouraged the teams to restart the rivalry, but there’s no law.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 26, 2024

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

No. Some legislators encouraged the teams to restart the rivalry, but there’s now law.

Ah OK. For some reason I thought there was.

Are there any in state rivalries that are legally mandated? Like politicians make noise, but I could've sworn a few there were laws behind them. But maybe I'm making that up.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

The worst part about the pandemic, aside from all those people dying, was that PSU-VT got canned.

We've never even met in a bowl game! Practically the only combination of Mid-Atlantic teams that haven't played.

I was seriously going to try to go to it. I really wanted to see that.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

Are there any in state rivalries that are legally mandated? Like politicians make noise, but I could've sworn a few there were laws behind them. But maybe I'm making that up.

I can't find it upon quick googling but I believe U of Arizona and Arizona State are legally required that one of them plays Northern Arizona each year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

drunk leprechaun posted:

I think South Carolina-Clemson. I know they have to play one of the in state FCS schools every year.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/swankywolverine/status/1772446872092688568?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

I was seriously going to try to go to it. I really wanted to see that.

We had a place to stay booked like a year ahead of time too

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Sash! posted:

It remains deeply bizarre given the crossover of foot print, recruiting, and similarity of the institutions (land grant ag schools) that we haven't played EVER.

I was very sad it was just like nixed instead of reset too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://x.com/petethamel/status/1772690479030673478?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

:huskiesin:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Good for Chun. I know he was probably pretty hurt when Bjork got the OSU job given his ties to the school.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I love all the regional rivalries they are such a cool part of college sportball. I was very excited to have WVU back to playing penn state and Virginia tech. It feels so good when you upset your rival.

The only time in my life I've ever been "punched" was in school the day after the 2003 wvu-vt game when one of the kids in my social circle was a VT fan that I was unaware of and he didn't like when I brought up that I was a WVU fan.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Maybe Mizzou will hire an AD, it's only been like a month since the last one left

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Asproigerosis posted:

I love all the regional rivalries they are such a cool part of college sportball. I was very excited to have WVU back to playing penn state and Virginia tech. It feels so good when you upset your rival.

The only time in my life I've ever been "punched" was in school the day after the 2003 wvu-vt game when one of the kids in my social circle was a VT fan that I was unaware of and he didn't like when I brought up that I was a WVU fan.

yeah, losing the regional rivalries until superconference consolidation completes/is undone/both is one of the saddest parts to me

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
What if we abolished conferences

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

a neat cape posted:

We sort of are, just one conference at a time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Trevor Etienne was going 80-90 mph on South Milledge while drunk.

Based on it being in a 50 mph zone, I would think it was south of the loop where he was caught ... which means the dumbass was likely drunk and speeding in the city limits. He's lucky he didn't kill someone or himself. Milledge isn't a wide road, has houses everywhere, has some blind turns, plenty of intersections and 5 points, isn't well lit and there's a lot of traffic. A lot of horrible could have happened.

Punishment needs to be severe.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

apparently the 2pac is nearing a deal with the cw

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-oregon-state-and-washington-76e

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It's better than being forced onto digital TV subchannels or something like Pluto TV. I mean they're going to float on the remains of the Pac 12 for a while anyway and the CW is at least a linear network that most if not all of the country receives.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Trevor Etienne was going 80-90 mph on South Milledge while drunk.

Based on it being in a 50 mph zone, I would think it was south of the loop where he was caught ... which means the dumbass was likely drunk and speeding in the city limits. He's lucky he didn't kill someone or himself. Milledge isn't a wide road, has houses everywhere, has some blind turns, plenty of intersections and 5 points, isn't well lit and there's a lot of traffic. A lot of horrible could have happened.

Punishment needs to be severe.

Yeah there is no defense to this. Uber, call a friend, there are so many options to just not drive drunk other than "I'm invincible and nothing will happen to me." Except it did and people died. Even some of the homerest of UGA homers think that at some point, Kirby is just going to have to throw down a gauntlet or two to make a point, even if that means kicking a starter or two off the team.

In a presser, Kirby did say that he was following both the UGA and the Athletic Department's code of conduct as well as some internal punishment. He almost slipped up and said the word suspended, so I would expect Etienne to be riding the pine for a bit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It remains deeply bizarre given the crossover of foot print, recruiting, and similarity of the institutions (land grant ag schools) that we haven't played EVER.

I was very sad it was just like nixed instead of reset too.

My wife is a VT graduate so we are fans of both teams and I was also sad to lose this series. They really are similar schools and I think it would be a great time for both fanbases.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

so I would expect Etienne to be riding the pine for a bit.

It’s his natural habitat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe after the conference schedules stabilize, we will be able to get PSU-VT back

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sash! posted:

That's wild. Civil Engineering in the DMV is basically one big PSU-VT pissing match.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a neat cape posted:

abolish all conferences except the Big Ten West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

R.D. Mangles posted:

abolish all conferences except the Big Ten West