Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually I think they’re the only team to go 0-12 as a P5 in general. Lots of horrible squads have still had some creampuff on their schedule but UW’s OOC was BYU, Oklahoma and Notre Dame! Insane work by the AD.

This is not even close to correct. Kansas has gone 0-12 more recently than UW did. Since 2000 Duke has gone winless 3 times. It is not at all that big of a historical anomaly.

UCF also has gone both 0-12 and 12-0. Quicker turnaround than UW.

None of this is to say what UW has accomplished isn't very cool. It's just not unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

UCF wasn’t power 5 for either of those.

Ah guess I missed that clarification on the original statement. Fair enough.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Ah I forgot Kansas had a winless season in there and not just a bunch of 1-11s.

And don't forget the 3 winless Duke seasons since 2000 as well.

If we go back to the 90's you pick up a South Carolina season, another Duke season, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa State, and OK State each had a season too. Though those were 11 game seasons, and there's a tie or two in there too.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

So the 12 team championship game would be around now, ya? Or will there be an extra week between semi finals and the finals?

Yup. The schedule for the next two years are in this link.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Maybe Moore steps right up and the good times keep rolling, but not seriously interviewing any external candidates is not a great idea (especially if you can have pretty much anyone you wanted)

What makes you think Michigan hasn't been talking to and vetting people all year if not for years? Jim leaving wasn't a surprise. They've had people looking at the succession plan for a while I'd imagine, and part of that would include looking at external candidates.

Don't mistake moving fast for moving stupidly or without a plan.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

How did LSU ever let their very own natty winning cajun cookie monster get away? And does he want a job? Because I think Texas still needs a DL coach and I want to hear him say Lamborghini.

I think he still has a "show up 2 days a year" gig with LSU too for a lot of money. So yeah why the gently caress would he go back to coaching?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Only 4 protected rivalries is pretty sad for a 16-team conference.

And one of them is TCU-Baylor, which is secondary to SMU for TCU fans

They have this big scheduling grid where games are played either 2, 3, or 4 times in 4 years. Those in state games are the only every year games, but there are plenty of other rivalry games that are on the 3/4 schedule.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Adun posted:

I think a nonprofit association of national collegiate athletic programs where everyone is a voluntary member, agrees to certain bylaws, but also have the ability to change the rules via legislation. A national collegiate athletic association if you will

This is what gets me about people cheering schools fighting the ncaa. The schools are the ncaa. They can change the rules whenever they want.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Vandy and Northwestern serve very important functions in helping shield conferences from FOIA requests I thought. Like if they were associations if public schools they'd have to grant more access. Though that also could just be internet BS. I dunnknow. I'm not a lawyer.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

GD_American posted:

That's not the way it works.

FOIA covers federal agencies under the executive branch. Most disclosure laws are state-based. Vandy is not a magic shield against a reporteer in Tallahassee making a records request at UF.

But can they help shield the SEC itself? Not the individual schools, but the league office I mean.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

wernox posted:

My guess is that its sort of like a terminal value calculation on a company, I haven't done one since business school so..........

My nephew was a CS major at a highly regarded program. Rather than student loans, someone paid for his portion of his schooling (he had a decent academic scholarship) and in return he owed them some percentage of his income for like 5-10 years. He took the extra step to negotiate a buyout. His first job was at Microsoft and he paid the backers off right away.

I think Evergreen State in Oregon uses a similar model. No tuition, but you owe a few percentage points of your income for like 15 years post grad or something.

My understanding is Australia has a similar system as well. There's a cash price for a class or degree, or you can take out a "loan" that is just like 4% of your future earnings for 20 yrs or something. My buddies down there claimed the cash price was scaled with earning potential. So like CS was way more eoxnsive than Art History, but the "loan" didn't relate to the cash price at all.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Yeah I like Godfrey. He can get a bit "they did this to ME" at times and a bit smug about his opinions, but overall solid follow.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I get sports are different, but do people in any other industry take jobs soley on who their boss would be

Yeah absolutely. I've known guys in the military who've tried to follow a good commanding officer. And I've seen grad students move with their advisor when they switch universities. It's not uncommon at all.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Komet posted:

There are only like 10,000 coal miners left in the entire state. Fifty years ago, it was 100,000. All the less expensive and easy-to-get coal has been mined out of the state, and most of what's left can only be accessed via strip-mining, and that's largely mechanized. Coal isn't any cheaper than renewable energy production at this point.

So you're broad point about the declining importance of coal to WV is correct, but you've got lots of errors in your details my friend. About 82% of WV coal is produced in underground mines. Not surface. About half of the coal produced in WV is for coke production, not power generation, so relative price with renewable is irrelevant. And most of that power generation coal is high enough quality it could be used for coke if they wanted to. WV also has the second largest coal reserves in the country behind on Wyoming.

Like yes it's not as important economically to the state as it once was. And yes the industry will continue to contract. But it won't happen quickly, and it's still one of the most important sources for the world's highest quality coal. WV produces the majority of the coking coal used in US steel mills. And none of this touches on the historical and cultural importance of coal to the state.

I'm a mining engineer who worked in WV mines early in my career. You can make fun of people from WV identifying so much with coal mining, but it's a very real cultural phenomenon out there.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Yeah I don't think most people even know coal is an important raw material for steel. Trying to say that "our coal is metallurgical coal so it's OK" would take a lot of education to land as a PR effort.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the culture war aspect of coal-mining benefits west virginia capital much more so

mine owners love people hating their mines, because they turn that into "liberals hate miners!" and away we go, dividing the classes

1000 times this. It's not in the interest of coal companies to educate the general public on the real nuances of the industry. Especially in Appalachia.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Yeah that stuff is really really cool. I'm not convinced that a lot of mills, especially in Asia and the US, will do the change over anyeimt soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Might as well ask the question here since the article and the company's webpage doesn't:
What is the source of carbon to alloy the iron into steel if not from coal/coke in this process?

It doesn't use carbon. The article literally has a flow chart that shows conventional and the new process side by side. And I thought did an OK job explaining the process from a high level.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
And none of its really new! OK the transfer stuff is kinda new, but the payment of players is just in the open now, not under the table.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Charleston briefly flirted with a metro, immediately changed it to a bus line with dedicated lanes running down a highway, then lopped miles off its suburban end and put in the worst place possible so it’ll still require a staggering amount of parking and still face traffic gridlock on the way.

Big brain poo poo happening in SC lemmetellya

Baltimore is trying to do this. We had a metro line, which would've been our second, approved and ready like a decade ago. Then Freddy Grey happened and "moderate" GOP governor Larry Hogan canceled it using the excuse that he needed to rebuild the city with the money. Never mind he immedietoy turned around and used it to widen highways in the dc suburbs.

The new governor is pushing it forward, but there's a strong movement to swap it for BRT. Which just ugh. That would help much at all.

So yeah. Feel yah on that one.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Didn’t Baltimore throw their panties at Musk for hyperloop poo poo or something too?

If they did that's news to me. We only moved back in 18, so maybe before then? But with how corrupt and disfunctional the city government here is I'd believe it.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Isn't the FCS tournament still run by the NCAA?

Every non-FBS championship is run by the NCAA.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
https://x.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1762197354407510473?s=20

UMass going back to the MAC apparently.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

What’s changed since they left/were asked to leave? Were they football-only members before and MAC didn’t like dealing with that?

Membership looks identical based on Wiki. Though last time they were football only, so that is a difference.

They were the last in a string of football only members from 02-15. UCF and Temple were both football only for a few years in that time period.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

When you opt in, are you in for the duration of your college career? He may be hoping for one of the more lucrative influencer deals in a year or so.

I'm 99% sure it's an annual deal.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

LA sucks yeah.

Come to San Diego. I will treat you well. We will go to the Midway.

This is the correct Southern California take.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

This reminds me that the weirdest place I've found an exceptional burger was in the warm heart of Africa, Malawi. Had a couple, but the one that stands out in my mind was at this tiny, remote lodge on a small nature park called Nyala lodge in Lengwe National Park. Simple: half pound burger cooked to a juicy medium (don't eat rare beef in Africa), bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion. Fresh bun, either cooked in house or bought from a local kitchen that day. Exquisite and so very surprising. Went perfect with a Gin & Tonic or 3.

Holy poo poo. I've been there. Didn't get the burger though, or it didn't leave an impression....

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Crazy small world.

I should mention that I got it again for lunch the next day and it wasn't as good as dinner the night before. So it could have been more about me (we had just spent the day first driving, then at my friend's peace corps village/ranch tagging cattle), or it could have been the cook at that time.

What took you to the Shire?

Long story short I had a totally free summer, too much money, and was chasing a girl doing study abroad. So yeah. Spent 12 weeks all over southern Africa.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off with conferences arranged by sport rather than "you're in the Big Ten, so every sport you have plays a Big Ten schedule."

Yeah the way hockey and FCS football function in that way make a lot of sense.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 17, 2024

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Quote! =edit

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Dance McPants posted:

And gently caress you Notre Dame for being B1G for Hockey cause that's better than ACC, but ACC for everything else (except football) for convenience.

That's not how that works. ND is in the ACC for every sport the ACC sponsors, save football. The ACC doesn't sponsor men's hockey, so they got an affiliate membership for that in the Big Ten. If the ACC started to sponsor men's hockey ND would leave the Big Ten to go to the ACC. You usually can't pick and chose conferences like you're saying, other than maybe your premier sport.

Usually if you're a member of a conf you agree to put all your sports that conf sponsors there. Exceptions exist, like ND football, but they are rare.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Sash! posted:

I'm not 100 percent on it but I also thought that the only reason the Big Ten didn't sponsor hockey was there weren't enough teams. Then Penn State started up and, what, they're not going to have a sport that enough members play?

I bet that was part of it, but I'm pretty sure that the 6 team rule is about automatic berths to ncaa postseason tournaments. I know ACC men's lacrosse operates as a 5 team conference, and used to be smaller, but their champ doesn't get a auto bid to the tournament. I'm the eyes of the selection committee all ACC teams are independents who are only eligible for at large bids.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Yeah I think that it's getting more common to sign a contract with collectives. It's also a way to build in incentives for staying and what not. But if that's not what happened here and he just got a sack of cash to transfer, then lol. Sounds like a problem with Iowa's collective being idiots who don't know how to structure a deal with players.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
The VA governor at the time was the reason VT got an ACC invite in 04 over Cuse.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

GD_American posted:

At a certain point, would the SEC just say "no thanks, we're full"?

That point may be now. At least for FSU and Clemson. I'm still not convinced the SEC or B10 will invite either to be honest.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Wasn't it in like Jacksonville?

Yeah. There were two VT-BC ACCCG's back to back in 07 and 08. Both were in Florida and very empty.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa State plays 9 conference games and we still play Iowa every year. I'd have to lose the Iowa game, even if it means we essentially never play any other P5 teams, but I don't really care, I'd rather keep the Iowa game. It's our last rivalry game still around since Mizzou left for the SEC. Frankly, I don't see why Kentucky couldn't keep it up. They really want to replace it with like a MAC or Sun Belt team?

Aren't Iowa and ISU legally mandated to play every year?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

No. Some legislators encouraged the teams to restart the rivalry, but there’s now law.

Ah OK. For some reason I thought there was.

Are there any in state rivalries that are legally mandated? Like politicians make noise, but I could've sworn a few there were laws behind them. But maybe I'm making that up.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Is it really a foregone conclusion the playoff is going to weaken OOC schedules? Record is still going to be the #1 determiner of at-large bids, but there’s always multiple teams with 2 or 3 losses, and I’d think a marquee noncon game (assuming you win, of course) is the kind of thing that gets you over the top, especially when trying to decide between teams from the same conference who played mutual opponents.

Plus, the cost of losing a big noncon game can still be overcome by winning your conference.

This is how I feel. Like if you drop a big ooc game you're not out it at all. And with the big 2 confs getting stronger I bet conf losses for them don't hurt as much either. At least for at large bids.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, especially if ESPN or Fox dangles a bag in front of schools to get big games on the schedule.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

White people have just invented several rich honky corollaries to soccer

In this case white people co-opted the sport. They didn't really invent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
I mean the ACC basically has SMU paying them to be memebrshis, so sure. Got for it.