Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

It's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

LeeMajors posted:

Man, our slate of QBs since 09 has been *bleak*

I wonder what Skyler Morninwheg is up to. Or Treon Harris, for that matter. Austin Appleby? Tyler Murphy?

Tyler Murphy made the Steelers practice squad one year.

As a WR.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sash! posted:

I'd be fine with Penn State throwing their hands up and going off to the Atlantic 10 for basketball. Like every other sport is good enough for the Big Ten, but woof basketball.

basketball has been/looks to continue to be somewhat respectable at least going forward. the real woof sport is baseball, just a total blackhole there

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Yates posted:

June 2022: Commits to Iowa

December 2022: Decommits from Iowa

December 2022: Commits and signs with Alabama

January 2024: Transfers from Alabama

January 2024: Commits to Iowa

March 2024: Decommits from Iowa and commits to Alabama

lol

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
nowhere else to put this but as usual march madness for wrestling has been wild so far. i also give it a huge recommendation to watch, one of the most fun and intense sporting events of the year. it just sucks that it's always the same weekend as basketball

going in to the semifinals and blood rounds tonight psu still has all 10 of their wrestlers going and 6 of them are in the semifinals. will likely have at least 4 national titles and wouldn't be surprised if they get all 10 as all americans (though it will be real tough for bernie truax who has had a great year but got his ankle/knee hosed up pretty badly in his match this morning). their bonus point total might end up being good enough to finish in the top 10ish overall of the standings lol. would be nice to take home the all time national point total and really continue to dismantle everything iowa holds dear

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

trevorreznik posted:

I haven't followed college wrestling since I was in high school, but I take it that Cael Sanderson one upped Dan Gable with his collegiate career and now is doing that while coaching?

They've already clinched this year's title 24 hours before the whole thing is over, more than doubling up second place. That makes 11 titles in 13 years, an all time insane run in the history of college sports. Looks like they will probably have 6 guys wrestling in the finals tomorrow night, most of which i would bet heavy money on. Total points record might be falling.

The way the program is set up and run, Cael will be winning the title just about every year until he decides to hang it up. Gable had 15 in his career, Cael will be blowing by that pretty quickly. All of this has been truly awe-inspiring to behold.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

trevorreznik posted:

So why is that happening with this specific program? Is like Iowa in 80s&90s but also getting transfers/NIL to make the advantage even bigger?

Cael looks to be the GOAT coach. Every single guy is really technically skilled and get instilled with killer instinct and the clutch genes, real iron sharpens iron stuff. It helps that Pennsylvania is also the heart of high school wrestling in the country so the most fertile recruiting grounds are right in his backyard. NIL is likely a factor because of this as well.

As of late they have been bringing in transfers at weights they more often struggle with (lightweights, the heavier classes they routinely dominate). They pretty much get the pick of the litter there and end up redshirting guys who would be starting for 90% of the other programs. He's basically the equivalent to Nick Saban but even more ruthless and successful.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
6/6 in the semis. Will have a chance to break the record for most individual champs in a tourney tomorrow night. 8/10 still alive in their brackets and at all american status.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Hed posted:

I didn’t think there were a lot of wrestlers on a D I team. So ends up not being a lot of student athletes.

10 weight classes plus depth, more than the typical basketball team.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Wrestling finals start in roughly 40 minutes at 7 est on espn. Should be a very exciting night

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Komet posted:

I'm loving stoked.

Two weeks ago my dad and I went to College Park for the Big Ten championship. It was so rad to so so much wrestling at once. Half the stadium was Penn State fans. Except for two years in the pandemic, we've gone to one match every year for the last decade.

Mitchell Mesenbrink with the comeback miracle win was the best match I've seen since David Taylor won gold in the last Olympics with a tie breaking takedown in the last seconds

Yeah that match with Hamiti was completely insane. I think him vs. Carr will likely end up being the craziest match of the night tonight

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Thank god Fix lost after all of that bullshit in that match. Horrible to watch him wrestle. The eternal bridesmaid loser

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU crowns 4 national champs, breaks the all time points record. They also beat second place by 100 points, obliterating the old record by 30. Starocci and Brooks are both 4 time NCAA champs, making them the 6th and 7th guys to ever do it. Got real choked up after Starocci's win when he basically confirmed he wrestled the whole tournament with a torn ACL. Barely have any words for this. A performance the likes of which may never be seen again.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Pakled posted:

Are top level college football players lovely drivers everywhere and it's just less likely to get swept under the rug in Athens or is there legit some kind of culture issue at UGA

https://twitter.com/GetRitchDieRyan/status/1771913718676312479?s

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
absolutely hate lame rear end out of conference scheduling like this. contemptuous trash that we're only going to see more of in the playoff era

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alaois posted:

Mason Maggs and Chad Ray are your future, don't resist it

local talent jobber tag team names

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Playing on the lake in November is an incredible bit.

If only Fitz was still there you could get some real Gordon Lightfoot poo poo going

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Gonz posted:

His wife was there with him!

then he REALLY needed someone to talk to

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

R.D. Mangles posted:

college football is not the goddamn NFL. Eat poo poo!!!!!

fuckin thing SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

LeeMajors posted:

?

Games were better and worked way back. Maybe it’s nostalgia,…gently caress man I don’t even know anymore lol. It wasn’t a micro transaction mess when I was running long term dynasties on GameCube ok?

you are correct.