Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I am displeased that LSU hired Bo Davis away after he turned our DL into the strength of the team. I hope it wasn’t because he knows something about Sark being the successor at Bama.

I don’t know that I’m a Sark true believer at this point but I hope he doesn’t get poached and leave us looking for a coach all the sudden in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

So do we think Arch hops in the portal or trusts that Quinn will get hurt as usual?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

If there’s anything to the Sark talk I think the end result is just that he gets a raise at Texas.

I’m a little concerned this is going to end with him getting some sort of Jimbo contract at Texas

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Sorry UDub, that sucks. Selfishly didn’t want to see Lanning or DeBoer over there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What the gently caress is even with the regional food phenomenon in this day and age? How do the secrets elude people? Theres no goddamn reason I can figure out that professional barbecue making people in New England shouldn’t be able to figure out how to smoke a 10/10 brisket, or people in Texas shouldn’t be able to make a 10/10 pizza, and yet here we are. Shouldn’t YouTube pretty much have taken care of that?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Still no details about the contract that Sark and Texas were reportedly close to agreeing on when there was speculation about the Bama job. Still hoping Texas doesn’t do the contractual equivalent of getting a Steve Sarkisian face tat after the third date. Like yeah the third date was awesome but the first two weren’t even good. He should get a raise/extension but let’s not do some Jimbo/Mel Tucker bullshit, please.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

predicto posted:

lol you guys are worse than Ohio State fans. You went 12-1, beat Alabama, won the conference, and went to the playoff and almost made it to the natty. JFC

Hell no we aren’t. The Ohio State equivalent would be saying we don’t even want Sark as our coach (let alone getting a raise and extension) if he keeps winning like 11 games and recruiting really well but loses to hated rival Oklahoma a couple times in a row. And for it to really be equivalent you have to imagine Oklahoma is really good in this scenario, like 15-0 national champion level good.

I just think regression toward the mean is a distinct possibility and I don’t want to see us cuff ourselves to him and throw away the key after one great season. A lot of coaches have had one great season.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 13, 2024

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

Thank god, we are losing so many pass catchers to the draft. JaTavion Sanders, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington. It's probably like 90% of our receiving yards in the NFL Draft.

It still stings a little that we had 4 snaps from inside the 15 with this receiving corps with a trip to the NCG on the line and we couldn’t make it happen

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
drat we had a 4-star DL just not show up and get released from his NLI. Losing Bo Davis continues to suck.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh poo poo the Lamborghini Longhorns got TE Amari Niblack from Bama, maybe we will have someone who can approximate Ja’tavion Sanders now.

Also I’m kind of wishing we had Bama on the schedule this year because it’s looking like a very winnable game, which would have been incomprehensible so very recently.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

poo poo, Georgia and Michigan aren't enough?

That’s what I’m saying, a Bama that has lost like 2/3 of their starters will likely be a very winnable game which we could use. What a weird thing to think, it would have been insane a couple weeks ago.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

UW was great but not playoff level last year

More playoff level than 2/3 of the other playoff teams

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Warbird posted:

It’s funny you think we’ll be a quality win.

I just said a winnable game. Not a quality win, not an easy win, just a team that a good team ought to be able to beat. Like Vanderbilt, or Florida. :laugh:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Not this year. Last year. When they didn’t make the playoffs.

Oh ok carry on then

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is extremely weird

Is there a way to mesh triple option and air raid together

Leipold’s Kansas kind of does, don’t they? I mean not air raid, but I think they do incorporate quite a bit of triple option into something that at first glance looks kind of like your standard issue CFB spread offense with vertical passing and stuff.

E:

https://x.com/jakefranklinfb/status/1582767995990200321?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

https://x.com/firstdownx__os/status/1662133288863924225?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

https://x.com/acosta32_jp/status/1570492427437481985?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2024

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

How did LSU ever let their very own natty winning cajun cookie monster get away? And does he want a job? Because I think Texas still needs a DL coach and I want to hear him say Lamborghini.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ole Miss stole our head of player personnel/GM type guy. Seems bad. I get that after a good season you get people poached for promotions but between him and our DL coach I’m not liking this thing of losing important pieces to lateral moves.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I grew up in Gatlinburg and have been deep into many of the hollers. Ask me anything

How do they compare to my love, depth-wise?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The messed up thing is, if their history is any guide, tOSU actually could fire Ryan day for only winning 90% of his games and somehow come out ok.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but your ascendancy as a program has matched with the NIL era and excitement around Heupel.

We’ve been stagnant for 14-15 seasons and there’s just no excitement for the future right now.

There’s a Gator podcast I listen to from time to time and they had Spencer Hall on as a guest and he basically roasted the entire athletic department and referred to 24 as a lame duck year. Said there was no good news unless there’s the turnaround of all time turnarounds but there’s no evidence Napier can coach his way out of it. It’s just how it is and the tenor is loving bleak right now.

Happy for all of you who get the feast on the bones, for now (and the foreseeable future) I guess.

My dude, getting to or near the mountaintop is not normal. It’s not what this sport, or being a fan of this sport, is like. Win some, lose some, enjoy watching better teams in the playoff every season is how the vast majority of the programs are the vast majority of the time. Even if you get a good season, you know you probably won’t get another one. It’s still fun. It’s not like Florida’s going 3-9 or anything. Remember that you are rear end, and to rear end you shall return. It is the way of things.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I. M. Gei posted:

The gently caress did I miss? :catstare:

Coal chat, mostly

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I miss Texas barbecue, it is good. Connecticut barbecue is not good.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

mcmagic posted:

As a rule College Football teams playing games in NFL stadiums suck. No matter where it's located.

The Superdome was an awesome place to watch my team not win a football game

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I’ll never read Dan Quinn and not think of… Dan Quinn

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

And "Lucifer" Lou Holtz

And I’ll be wearing my Ross “The Grizz” Clifton shirt each and every time

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

UConn's had it too good for too long!

Honestly think UConn looks reasonable not being one of the teams willing to join a geographically nonsensical conference that makes zero sense for anything except football just for the sake of being in a conference. I don’t think UConn football needs to worry about their path to the playoff.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It’s nice to be the one team that gained a legit, immediate rivalry by moving conferences. It does feel a little wrong not playing Tech and Baylor anymore, but I’ll take the tradeoff for A&M, the restarting of the SWC era Arky rivalry, and the marquee names of the SEC coming to town every so often.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Maxwells Demon posted:

I'm sorry but now that a Texas fan has admitted it's a rivalry A&M fans have won the "don't admit it's a rivalry" rivalry. The Golden Forum Post Trophy moves to College Station.

As dumb as I think that particular form of message board posturing is, you kinda gotta love a game where the hate between the teams is that pure and goes to such petty extremes. But it is exclusively on message boards, the fans in general have always wanted that game back. Even if both teams are bad the demand for tickets is probably going to be craziest Kyle Field has seen since the JFF v. Bama rematch. If the game has a chance of making or breaking a playoff bid for either team, it’s going to be flat out insane.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I once lived near a McDonald’s with a parking lot that was very lively at night. Large groups of economically disadvantaged young men would gather there and mill around. Fights between large groups and police coming to break up the fights were routine, and at one point the assembled mob beat a couple people to death but it was hard to pin it on anyone in particular. Only one arrest got made and that person only did 90 days.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The ACC’s continued existence and potential relevance is good for the sport, I think, so I hope FSU and Clemson are completely stuck there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

whos that broooown posted:

Ohio State only had 4 drafted (because most of the good players came back)

Yeah, having a big draft class seems like a good thing but it also means you lost a lot of quality players and statistically you’re very unlikely to be replacing them all with equally draft-worthy guys.

Much has been made of Texas doing well in the portal, plus having a good starting QB returning, but I’ll be shocked if we don’t take a pretty substantial step back from last year when we’re basically breaking in a whole new receiver corps and there’s no more Murphy and Sweat making our DL terrifying.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

A whole new meaning of edible mascot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I. M. Gei posted:

Can't wait for Texas to go undefeated and win a natty this season

I don’t know what the o/u on Texas wins is or will be but take the under. Hype is gonna say expect to be in title contention, but the DL and secondary are both looking like liabilities, Baxter has not shown Bijan/Brooks type ability at RB, and the loss of Worthy, Mitchell, and Sanders in the receiving corps will be felt. Last year was the lightning in a bottle year and we still had to luck into like 4 of our wins. Way more likely we drift back toward a season more typical of Texas/Sark than take that step to the next level.