Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The game wasn't even over and my Ohio State friend was texting that Michigan/Ohio State were 1/2 and if they fired Ryan Day they absolutely mop Michigan

They don't even need to fire Ryan Day. They just need competent offensive linemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Go get a better one on the transfer portal

I don’t think there’s any left at this point.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I mean, Seattle hiring another guy running from sanctions would be fitting.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Imagine going from the greatest coach of all time to Dabo Swinney lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Weird feeling. Vrabel has no connection to Bama, only spent 3 years coaching in college, has been in the NFL for a decade and will surely get NFL HC offers. Doesn’t really make sense for either side.

I think it’s relatively known that he’s not super interested in coaching college unless it’s as the HC at Ohio State.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

If he waits one more season, that job could be his.

Ryan Day is probably not long for OSU.

It's going to be an interesting year because he's finally cutting the dead weight from the staff, it's looking like pretty much everyone but Marv is returning and they added Will Howard and Judkins in the portal.

If he can't get it done, he's 100% gone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why are all the OSU players coming back? Go pro already you fools

:sigh:

Obviously the "unfinished business" stuff or whatever but there are multiple factors in play.

- Egbuka's ankle injury and McCord being mid sunk his stock a decent amount

- Burke has legit first round CB potential but his sophomore year was so bad that evaluators are doing the "which player are we getting" thing

- Sawyer was painfully average until mid-October of this year when he turned into a loving monster.

- Hancock battled injuries and other issues until this season so there are questions on him. Prevailing thought seems to be that evaluators told him he projects as a safety in the NFL and he's coming back to have a year of safety tape since most people think Styles is being moved to LB.

- Donovan Jackson was the first guard on some boards going into the season and he'd probably be a third day pick now because the line was so putrid this year.

- Simon, Ransom, Hamilton are in that late round, not guaranteed a roster spot area where it makes sense for them to return.

- Tyleik Williams, I have no idea. I guess he just wants to come back. Although another year like this year probably takes him from mid-to-late second to a first rounder.

- No announcements from JT or TreVeyon yet but the obvious reasons they may return are that JT is maybe the most inconsistent player ever and Tre can't stay healthy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Hah I saw that email and was like "ehhhh... nah"

For some weird reason I more look forward to the coaching/film breakdowns versus stuff like a freezing-cold outdoor parade and pep rally.

But I do hope that for Monday's Michigan-tOSU basketball game, a lot of players show up and there are very loud gently caress ohio chants.

The way those two teams have played they might be chanting "gently caress everything" by the end of that game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Jealous of the attention everyone else is getting Auburn might be having a minor meltdown of its own -- both OC and DC have been fired in the last week, and Cadillac Williams abruptly resigned last night for unspecified reasons.

I am shocked that people seem to not like Hugh Freeze.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nobody worth a poo poo is taking that Bama job until someone else fails first. Nobody wants to follow Nick Saban. It's an impossible position.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JT Tuimoloau is officially returning to OSU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yates posted:

I hope DeBoer turns it down just for the fun it will bring. Who are they calling after that?

Matt Campbell? lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TreVeyon Henderson officially returning. Henderson/Judkins is an absurd RB pairing

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I really did expect tOSU to have way, way more pro/transfer portal departures than they've had so far. Is it mostly because they're trying to gather for One Final Year, or NIL considerations, or just lowered pro prospects?

Little bit of everything. A lot of guys saw their stock go down a little either through production or injuries. Michigan’s title finally lit a fire under the donors when it comes to NIL. And the guys all really seem to like Ryan Day and want to win for him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lance Leipold would be a good get.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Not hiring Grubb is going to look like a really dumb move. Especially when Fisch bolts next year to replace dogshit Billy Napier.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys know people don't just automatically leave for their alma mater every time it opens right?

I’d always heard that was his dream job so who knows

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EmbryoSteve posted:

Is Florida a better job than Washington? I don't really think so anymore

It will always be a better job due to the in-state talent alone. The job is great. They just keep hiring idiots to do it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Is no one saying anything about K-State being #4 in that prediction list?

I mean, with Texas and Oklahoma gone, it’s not the most far fetched thing ever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if some other schools get brought in as a way to jack up the NIL offers, but it seems by all accounts that Georgia and Ohio State are the only two schools with a realistic chance of landing Downs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At this rate, Bama will be lucky to leave Madison with a win in Week 3.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol there's a legit possibility Bama could lose 5-7 games next year. @Wisconsin, vs. Georgia, at Tennessee, vs. Missouri, @ LSU, @ Oklahoma, vs. Auburn are all very losable games with the current state of the team.

Also, Downs rules but Ohio State needs to throw whatever money it can to lure Proctor over. If they can get him, it allows Fryar to move in to his natural position at RG and Simmons to his natural spot at RT. It could completely overhaul the line.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Bama wasn't hustling with the NIL as much as the other big schools, right?

I dunno if these decisions are all money-based, but it can't help

I think a lot of that was lip service. They were still shelling out good amounts of NIL. I'd always heard that Saban was doing most of the DB coaching and Travaris Robinson was there to be the recruiter/bagman.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Komet posted:

How much pressure is DeBoer going to be under to deliver in year 1? Next year is looking like a rebuild with these roster departures and staff turnover. There hasn't been a rebuild year in Saban's entire tenure. Can the fanbase even handle 8-4 or 9-3?

Massive, despite what anyone says. I think a lot of fans will blame the portal and the NCAA and whoever else for right now but when you get into the regular season, if he's lost 3 or 4 games he's going to get crucified.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

These schools are eventually going to establish separate for-profit subsidiaries for football to get around Title IX and academics where the program is basically just leasing out space for practice and games from the university. They'll keep the college brands but it'll otherwise having nothing to do with traditional college athletics.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alabama has had a massive influx of basic white girls from all over the country largely because of TikTok. I’m sure the success of the football team has played a big role in the overall picture as well, but a bunch of upper middle class white girls aren’t going to Alabama because the football team is good.

There are literally girls from Ohio and other Midwest states paying thousands of dollars to consultants to give them a better chance of getting into sorority houses.

E: and this is anecdotal but here in Ohio I know there’s an absurd number of upper middle class MAGA parents who view Bama/Ole Miss/Auburn/UGA as places that won’t turn their kids into libs. It’s really been a perfect convergence of factors for Alabama over the last 8-10 years.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 18, 2024

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

making it a personal story rather than a fly on the wall thing was probably a mistake as it has one foot in both camps and succeeds at neither

anyways lmao alabama's gonna be so fuckin bad next season

It sucked but everyone either cut her off or dropped rush entirely so there wasn’t much else to be done

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wait, wasn't that Hartlines job? Where's he at?

Hartline was given the title to justify the raise they had to give him to retain him. Most of what I’ve heard is that he has no actual interest in being the actual playcaller.

He wants to be an elite WR coach and work that into a HC job somewhere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess he's still WR coach - maybe also "Passing game coordinator"?

He was technically OC, but wasn't it still Day doing most of the play calling instead of Hartline?

Hartline didn’t do any play calling.

fast cars loose anus posted:

haha how loving dumb is Ohio State

I mean, the spot he’s filling belonged to a guy whose chief qualification was “Urban Meyer’s son-in-law” so even if O’Brien is a giant dickhead moron, it’s still a massive step up from a football perspective.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Warbird posted:

lol lmao. You all are in for such a time.

You people really do not understand how completely loving useless Corey Dennis is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If BoB calls even one good play next year, he will have exponentially exceeded the entire tenure of Corey Dennis.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Unless he's changed a lot he won't be helping from a recruiting standpoint. It's one of the things he seemed to hate about college football along with dealing with normal non-football related college stuff (boosters, fundraising, facilities, etc etc).

Day is the lead recruiter for QBs and has been since he got there so I doubt it’s much of an issue.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He looks like an in shape version of the Sandlot catcher

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That would be a step up in that situation from last year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was gonna say, I feel like that exact sequence happened at some point in the season anyway.

Last year we’d just do three gimmick runs behind a line that immediately got blown up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My guess is Harbaugh to Chargers is done and all this delay is him trying to make sure there’s not an exodus when he leaves Michigan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At least now we know he’s pulling a Pete Carroll for sure and we can stop all the will he or won’t he bullshit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ll take one gently used Kenneth Grant, please.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Michigan is likely fine if they promote Moore. If they look outside, they’re going to have the same type of exodus as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

What makes you think Michigan hasn't been talking to and vetting people all year if not for years? Jim leaving wasn't a surprise. They've had people looking at the succession plan for a while I'd imagine, and part of that would include looking at external candidates.

Don't mistake moving fast for moving stupidly or without a plan.

I mean, I don’t know that this admin is really worthy of the assumption that they did a smart thing.