Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Can't believe we've gotten to page two without someone saying gently caress Alabama and gently caress the SEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

If I hadn’t learned to be extremely complacent over the years, being a Razorback fan would have killed me by now

As a Razorback/Lions fan, I live in a constant state of knowing that either there is no light at the end of the tunnel, or when there is the pain train is coming to the station.

False hope is the only hope I have.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
BURN IN HELL YOU FRAUDULANT GUTLESS COWARD

GET YOUR rear end PROPERLY KICKED ONCE BY THE MOST GLORIOUS BIG TEN AND YOU RUN AWAY

A MILLION YEARS OF DARKNESS FOR ALABAMA AND THE SEC MAY THEY NEVER SEE THE PLAYOFF EVER AGAIN

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Todd Graham to Bama

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Saban and Belichick switching spots you heard it here first.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
breaking new houston nutt's pulled up in his rv outside of bryant denny and says he's ready to get to work

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

It is taking a monumental effort to pull myself away from this to go to the gym right now. Any chance of me doing anything else productive today like practicing my horn went out the window as soon as this news dropped.

buddy i've practiced my horn to this news twice and might practice it twice more before the day is over

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
is harvey updike alive, and if so has this finished his rear end off

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

I mean Jim Valvano won the '84 title at NC State, immediately ran to the ESPY's to give his big Never Give Up speach, and then collapsed and died on-stage.

I remember it going that way I didn't do any research so don't correct me if I'm wrong.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
lmao at goons acting like they wouldn't live in shithole x for 10m/y

besides, the coaches aren't concerned about area culture or food or whatever, they're having a chicken wrap from the training kitchen delivered to their office while they stress over breaking down film or that they've only texted a recruit 12 times today when they're sure that someone else has texted them 13 times or how much NIL money they're going to have to beg boosters for. the world outside of the football center barely exists for most of them once you reach the top level

"but what about the wives and children" you fret well that's where the 10m/y comes in handy

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Alaois posted:

buddy its literally I've Been Working On The Railroad, its not a good song its a nursery rhyme

considering that's a level of education most texans never obtain, how would they be expected to know that

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
People here always underestimate the PR value that a good athletic program brings to a school. Alabama is/was thought of as a football powerhouse instead of a school in a backwater state. Smaller schools like Florida Gulf Coast or Valpo get remembered because of two weeks in March when they would otherwise be unknown outside of their local regions. That awareness in of itself is almost priceless in some cases.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

How does Colorado not have a DC yet????

Hire Brian Ferentz he can keep a team out of the end zone, if not scoring range.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
me: osu's gotta ton of talent coming back probs the fave for '24

osu: bob oc

me: welp three in four year dawgs woof woof woof

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Zwabu posted:

What other time frame could Saban have announced his resignation that would have caused less havoc with players leaving for the portal? If he announced at any point before or during the season it would interfere with players playing hard for the team or in any playoff game, is there any other reasonable time aside from the end of the season?

I mean isn't all this ugly attrition something that was just going to happen whenever any top tier coach leaves?

Nothing short of "this is my last season and here is who is going to replace me" is going to work, and even then it's going to be everyone out of the pool.

As long as the current structure remains in place, it's going to be a free for all at the top level every offseason, especially if the legislation turns scholarships into single season contracts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Dabo's already got to punch above his weight considering that SC/UGA/Auburn/Bama are all in his backyard with twice as much TV revenue as Clemson does. If he won't play the NIL game, then it's a matter of time before he's replaced with someone who does.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

When the Super League inevitably forms, it starts with those 18 teams and adds six more, probably some ACC schools above the Mason Dixion line, but that's what major college football will look like in ten years or so.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

harperdc posted:

Here’s the thing I keep coming back to, though:

Not all of those teams can go 10-2 every season in a Super League format. Hell, we’re going to have to adjust to potential playoff teams having 3 losses with the beefed-up SEC and Big Ten next year. And that includes a lot of those 18 teams listed above.

I am not sure the interest will survive if all we get is these kinds of helmet games, because I think a lot of the interest is in having 5 big leagues provide that many big names who are in contention every year. I’m not convinced it’s the NFL, where good or bad, people tune in.

Not all of those teams were Playoff teams. Some (Auburn/Florida) had periods of being mediocre to downright bad. They're still the biggest brands in the sport and when the inevitable separation happens the media companies are going to wonder why they're paying the Vanderbilts and Wake Forests of the world when they can give more money to Bama and OSU. The only schools who made the Playoff that aren't on that list are Sparty/TCU/Cincinnati, all of whom only made it once and other than TCU got rolled by Bama.

I'm struggling to think of who else belongs on that list: A&M and Ole Miss jump out first but they never played for anything meaningful in the Playoff era, UNC's value is more in hoops, Miami and Nebraska will never be back, Virginia Tech was never there.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I don't think the college football world is ready for just how normal Michigan is suddenly going to become after Harbaugh. We're going from that to "guy who swore and teared up after a big win".

So it's back to pre-pandemic Michigan then?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ferentz: what do you do on offense

Interviewee: says literally anything

Ferentz: I don’t like it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

I think he still has a "show up 2 days a year" gig with LSU too for a lot of money. So yeah why the gently caress would he go back to coaching?

he's set for life unless someone introduces him to like NFTs or something so he'll be back coaching in a year or so

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

GD_American posted:

"finished college at Alabama".

lol. cute way to get around Joe Namath (left without a degree)

Way to get around Hurts as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

This is a pretty big domino to fall if it falls.

UNC were the ACC stalwarts from previous reporting if I remember right. Like, they were the ones who weren't making any noise and wanted everything to stay the same weren't they?

e: from the article I guess they did explore getting out of that grant of rights.

UNC is the lynchpin of the ACC; if they leave the conference either dies or becomes a shell of itself. Same with Texas/B12, same with USC/UCLA/Pac-12. It'd be the same with Bama/SEC and Michigan/Ohio State/B1G.

Realistically, it's a matter of when, not if. UNC has value, FSU does too. I posted my value chart in one of these threads a while back, but nothing's changed.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

In all seriousness, the final phase began when the Pac 12 was destroyed. Once that happened, it was inevitable that we were moving to the P2. I actually expected it to happen in the next two or three years when FSU was snubbed and Georgia hemorrhaged players. The ACC was terminally ill and the P2 was going to want to be able to lock players to contracts.

Basically this. I expected the end to come close to the ACC's GOR expiring, but FSU's hellbent on finding a way out and if they can break free then B1G/SEC pick off whomever they want and create their own league above FBS, where the media money will follow.

It's basically down to when, not if at this point, and I'd be amazed if it took before the end of the decade now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

The media money will lead, not follow. The next move will be media partners asking why they’re paying the same amount for Vandy and Alabama football games. They’ll continue to push for consolidation and creating a closed competition at the top because they’ll get a lot more bang for their buck

Edward Mass posted:

There's a reason the proposed European Super League only had one French soccer club - they just wanted Brands.

Exactly. I've wondered what would happen if private equity or the Saudis or someone took that list of the top 17 schools by TV ratings that was posted a bit back, added 7 more to get to 24, and offered them all $250m/year to leave their conference in football and join a Super League. TV would absolutely follow. And while you'd think that the SEC/B1G would kick them out, if all their major moneymakers are leaving at once, that leaves a little room for negotiating when it comes to things like the NCAA Tournament, the other big moneymaker.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

Huh how the hell did they get Florida State to go to Ireland

With not one but two big bags full of money and Guinness.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
rooting for koach kliffy k to take over for maximum comedy

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Recruit 10 is a kicker and should be grateful they're getting a scholly, much less anything else.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Komet posted:

Counterpoint, Jim Harbaugh

Ascribing logic to Jim Harbaugh decisions is a futile endeavor.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gonz posted:

I’m 100% positive that College Football 25 is going to feature NIL-themed microtransactions.

“Pay real world money to sway this 5 star digital WR into decommitting from Texas Tech! Hit B to purchase the Peyton Manning Overall 99 Superfractor Card for $19.99, now with a transfer portal ability you can use in the College Ultimate Teams mode!”

College Ultimate Team is going to be loving wild and bankrupt some people here.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pac 2 finally fired Kliavkoff

They used to make captains go down with the ship.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

March Madness but college football

128 teams lfg

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Famously, Kevin Millar was absent from MVP Baseball 2005, replaced with the fictional "Anthony Friese".

Millar was one of the players who crossed the picket line in the '94 strike and thus was barred from joining the MLBPA. As opposed to Bonds, who opted out of their collective licensing agreement.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't think this is the end of Bienemy (or at least hope it's not). UCLA was likely the best option left with how long Washington took to settle on Dan Quinn. Still a high profile enough coordinator job. I thought he did solid work for what was a lame duck season with the commies

Then again I'm the fool who expects Pep Hamilton to make it any day now.

Bienemy tried to show that he had a hand in KC's success and instead it was shown to be Reid/Mahomes, while the Commies weren't able to do anything special. That the Commies didn't feel the need to put Riverboat Ron out of his misery and at least kick the tires on what a Bienemy-led team looked like.

I doubt he's going to have much, if any success, at an under-funded and over their head UCLA program. He'll probably be a private QB coach to rich high school prospects within a couple of years unless Kirby takes over Saban's Home for Wayward Coaches.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

What’s changed since they left/were asked to leave? Were they football-only members before and MAC didn’t like dealing with that?

Exactly. MAC wanted them all-in but UMass didn't want to leave the A-10, so they went indy in football. Now that the A-10 isn't as prestigious (I guess?) and being an independent in football is proving to not be a fun time, it's worthwhile to jump back into the MAC and enjoy heading to Ohio several times a year.

UConn needs to bite the bullet and drop football to FCS, leaving ND as the sole indy until the SEC/B1G form the Super League and make the Irish finally put up (since for all their talk, Notre Dame won't want to relegate themselves to secondary football once the money gets involved)

Speaking of UConn..

I remember the initial logo for UConn and UMass had the "C" and "UM" logos on the wiki. Sadly some killjoy robbed us of the CUM Bowl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ungratek posted:

LSU only being in twice seems insane to me

LSU either had a good season going and then ran into Alabama and fell apart, fell apart before Alabama and the Tide finished them off, or twice a decade beat the Tide and were in natty consideration.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

e: Actually, thinking about it more... I could see them doing the 5 round playoff. Lets you shed the G5 champ, and a few runners up from the tournament much earlier while guaranteeing your big names (the ones that secured the top 4 spots) make it through to the later rounds.

I don't see how you could do five weeks unless it starts the week after the conference championships and Army/Navy are willing to move off the date. You need to have the championship game done before the NFL season wraps now that the NFL is willing to hold a Playoff game on MNF. Looking ahead to 2016, you'd have conference championships on 12/4-5, Army/Navy on 12/12, and then four straight weeks of playoffs to finish on 1/11/27. If you start any later you run into the NFL postseason.

Either college would have to fully start the week before Labor Day and the conference championships would need to be Thanksgiving week to have a five-week playoff, or you'd have to convince the NFL to give up a playoff MNF game. I don't see either happening.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

Rather than decide on a "permanent" conference schedule as had been planned for after this coming season, the SEC is making 2025 another ad hoc schedule without a set plan in place.

tl;dr: 8 games, same schedule as 2024 but opposite venues. Gonna do whatever I can to go to Knoxville in '25.

Dunno if one should read too much into this:

Probably seeing if they need to go to 9 games or not, potentially if FSU/Clemson get out of the grant of rights and the ACC gets the copper ripped out of its walls.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hed posted:

I didn’t think there were a lot of wrestlers on a D I team. So ends up not being a lot of student athletes.

The biggest issue is that it's a non-revenue sport that doesn't/didn't have a female mirror, so you'd have a Title IX issue where you'd need to find a women's sport to match that number of scholarships. Schools will always sponsor more women's teams then men's due to the number of scholarships football offers, so having to find another dozen to offset wrestling becomes a non-starter outside of the hotbeds or those who sponsor everything under the sun like the old Pac-12 schools.

If women's wrestling does become a thing at the NCAA D1 level it becomes slightly less of an issue; it's still not a revenue generator and NIL isn't going to help the schools in that regard.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

drunk leprechaun posted:

That point may be now. At least for FSU and Clemson. I'm still not convinced the SEC or B10 will invite either to be honest.

They would; that list of the top 17 most watched teams had those two on there; I think it was all teams who would be in the B1G/SEC next season with FSU/Clemson/Notre Dame.

No one's going to say or leak anything right now for fear of lawsuits/lack of leverage, but FSU/Clemson/UNC would get invitations from one of those two. Everyone else depends on numbers, I posted a tier list in the old thread on how desirable each ACC team was, so someone like UVA or Miami might get an invite while Wake and BC probably need to hope the American has room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

harperdc posted:

I just realized this would be better not in Tekken but in a weapons fighter game, given the proclivity for whole-rear end chairs to be thrown during Waffle House fights

[edit] if the Waffle House is the stage, what song is playing as background?

Tekken is a weapons fighter game at this point.

Song is Knuck if U Buck next question.