Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

Its time for Saban to oust tubberville in the senate and turn bama blue

Too late for that, unfortunately

He has until March to run as an independent candidate though!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Warbird posted:

I hate everything, but the possibility of Saban running opposite of or even taking Tubb’s senate seat, albeit slight at best, is extremely funny to me.

If my reading of the Alabama Secretary of State's website is correct, he's missed the deadline to run in the Democratic primary, but he could still run in the general election as an independent!

E: I'm an idiot, Tuberville's not up for reelection this year

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s never just about money with these guys.

Yeah, it takes a certain kind of personality (enormous control freak) to be a successful FBS football coach, and what Saban had at Bama has got to be the dream for these guys. An institution 100% bought in to you and committed to football success, boosters that worship the ground you walk on, practically unlimited resources at your disposal.

I don't know what the institutional culture is like at UW, but I have my doubts that they're as football-first as Bama is.

Is it hubris to believe that you'll be able to step into Saban's shoes and immediately command the same level of respect as he did? Yes. But you don't get to the position these guys are without a certain level of self-delusion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons

Man, Northwestern was one game away from a four year winless streak, but for a 27–22 victory over Wyoming in 1979. That's beyond putrid. How did Northwestern's program survive the 70's and 80's?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dphi posted:

Good article where top recruits anonymously discuss NIL-

https://247sports.com/article/how-r...more-226740097/

A lot of this won't come as a surprise but it's interesting to hear some perspectives directly from the kids involved.

quote:

Look no further than former Florida DT Gervon Dexter, who signed a $436,485 NIL deal with a speculative investment capital company in 2022 with the caveat that the company, Big League Advanced Fund, would get 15% of his NFL earning for the next 25 years.

what the gently caress
this is absolutely hosed

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/AllYellowJacket/status/1761753835066753477

Yeah sounds about right

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who are the weirdos that eat jalapeños for flavor?

Step your rear end up to serranos

As it goes into in the article, only 20% of jalapenos are sold fresh to consumers, the rest are processed, primarily into salsa. Those manufacturers, being the primary buyers, get to dictate what farmers produce, and what the manufacturers want is consistency. Salsa comes in mild, medium, and hot varieties, and rather than using three different types of pepper to create these, it's cheaper and easier for them to use one line of mild peppers and then add varying amounts of capsaicin extract to create higher-heat products.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Your honor, yes, I did sign this dumb contract, but now I don't like it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

If you could determine permanent OOC games for your favorite team/school, what would they be? In an ideal world Tulane would always play LSU, USM (Southern Mississippi), Ole Miss, and ULL. Auburn, GA Tech, and LA Tech just missed the list.

Georgia Tech's OOC opponents that we should play annually:

UGA
Auburn

ACC teams I want to continue to play annually if the ACC falls apart:

Clemson
Virginia Tech
Duke [we're each others' mutual third-most-played opponent. Neither side considers it a rivalry but I feel like that has to count for something]

OOC teams I would like to play more often:

Tennessee
Tulane
Georgia Southern

ACC (and ACC-ish) teams I would like to continue to play semi-frequently if the ACC falls apart:

Notre Dame
UNC
Miami
Pitt [not a lot of history here, but recent games outside of the Geoff Collins era have been bangers]

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Are top level college football players lovely drivers everywhere and it's just less likely to get swept under the rug in Athens or is there legit some kind of culture issue at UGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol at oregon's just being straight-up donald duck