Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I. M. Gei posted:

The tweet doesn't link to an article. Does anyone know why the guy got pushed out? Was it some booster poo poo like when Auburn fired Tuberville?

nothing specific so far

he did miss most of 2022 dealing with an illness and split time in the booth this season; my guess is he wanted more money than alabama wanted to pay him or they wanted to do a clean sweep when saban retired. both are dumb reasons to let someone go especially if he's in good health as he claims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash! posted:

I feel like the QB Eagles guys playing QB at Texas will be outnumbered a 100 to 1 by the "ha I'm in a video game" guys on the offensive line at Akron anyhow

yeah $600 and getting to post screenshots of yourself in a videogame is novel no matter who you are

either the $600 is a decent chunk compared to the NIL deals they were taking in otherwise or they don't need the money because they're big stars and the exposure to build their brand is the real value

obviously they should try and hold out for more but to do that you'd like to see a situation where the players whose NIL rights are worth more were to advocate for those whose NIL rights may have a lower value. kind of like a concerted, organized group, working in the interests of the collective to ensure a better deal for everyone. together, joined. like links in a chain or something

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The NFL has a record 9 minority head coaches this year, including 3 new black head coaches. I think at theres a pretty good chance that Bienemy is just an rear end in a top hat or a terrible interview or both.

Also the Commanders offense was pretty rear end last year and the Chiefs just won another Super Bowl without him. It’s not all his fault, Sam Howell is not good, but this year was his big audition away from Mahomes and Reid and it kinda flopped.

the offense looked way worse without bienemy there

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i gotta say as a stone cold alabama hater it is a true honor and privilege to be here in tuscaloosa for what will almost assuredly be the worst season of alabama football in about two decades

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

9-4 is a perfect record

it will make every other fanbase devastated when it's not as bad as they hoped, and it will make this fanbase loving miserable because they got so used to 10 wins and a NY6 bowl that anything less is dogshit

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Also bonus: surely there’s no MUT in EACF to have to navigate around just to play my fuckin’ franchise mode.

surely not

it will be called Ultimate Recruiting or some bullshit like that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

simply eat another pepper or whatever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

they're not going to axe college football just like they immediately patched up the IVF ban

it simply won't pass in its current form or will otherwise be amended as soon as someone points this out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if notre dame was looked at objectively (generally top third of the acc, sometimes at the top) people wouldn't care so much about them

but they've also done it to themselves by not joining a conference and making themselves special snowflakes that have to receive special accommodations despite being acc members in all but name

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i hate an aw shucks rear end poster

rub my nose in it you loving cowards

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

heckin smol bean wolverinos

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gonz posted:

James Franklin would get shithoused by BYU all the time in this scenario.

why? byu is a big 12 team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

please do not disrespect the atlantic 10, conference of champions

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

It's because southerners are naturally better atheletes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Don't forget all of Tebow''s bullshit fake slides

fake slides were invented by kenny pickett in 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ohio state is bringing in a quarterback named air noland

nominative determinism strikes again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Big rear end On Fire posted:

FSU and Clemson at Big10 feels real weird.

hasn't happened yet as far as i know

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash! posted:

But apparently they don't read agreements they sign, so the Big Ten can probably trick them into paying a membership fee instead of a slice of revenue

fsu is one of the few athletic departments in the country that i think would run at a loss on football just for the sake of grabbing at that brass ring

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

glad we worked our ways backwards into the same conference system we had before, good job everyone

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

It seems like it's NFL and 'sports executives' lol -- networks? more NFL folks? and likely the presidents of universities outside of b1g and sec that will amount to nothing. just like the 'alliance.

someone on twitter posited that it was a big swing by the acc to try and keep florida state and clemson from dumpstering the conference

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Adun posted:

Given how long a court case will take both teams are almost certainly doing this in the dark, or the best case scenario on a wing, a prayer, and a wink-wink deal

i think at least one league and or network has made some sort of vague overture about how florida state and/or clemson could be doing so much better than they are in their current deal

but it's just as likely that fsu and clemson just watched the pac 12 go up in smoke and suddenly the big 12 added on teams and the acc is the low man on the totem pole (along with their accurate perception that their football programs are buoying a lot of the conference's value) and are trying to get a foot in the door somewhere anywhere before it's too late

between that and the soft launch of the acc's doomed super league plan and the acc's total inability to exert any leverage on their most valued semi member and i would also be trying to get the gently caress out

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

What would “too late” look like for Florida State? The train’s not leaving without them (or leaving with them, depending on what the metaphor is).

florida state is still doing fine but they don't have booster money like the honest to god blue bloods do, so they need that tv money to suppement NIL in the recruiting arms race

they're not behind yet but they're not keeping up with the joneses, and if they're stuck in the acc's grant of rights for another ten years then they're going to wither on the vine (at least that's their view); seeing what happened with the pac 12 being up for a new contract spooked a bunch of teams

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dphi posted:

This seems incredibly unsurprising?

caitlin clark played in 39 games and averaged 31.7 points per game

in her four years at iowa, the iowa football team played 49 games and the average fbs team scored around 26 ppg

spotting iowa 10 games means they should be roughly comparable, not that iowa still got stomped by 200 points

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

not a lot of competing news this time of year i think it's fine to leave it in this thread

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gonz posted:

“Bama Center Who Can’t Snap The Ball….chose poorly.”

he actually decommitted from iowa before playing a single snap

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

isn't michigan on probation right now

we should talk about relevant teams, like michigan state

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

This isn’t in response to the transfer, but are we sure that Deion actually wants to coach once his sons graduate?

i don't think you take a p5 job and bring your sons with you if you're just trying to coach your sons through college

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

No, I want my weird shirts and giant rear end signs that look like the Zodiac Killer designed them.

well, you should've thought of that before you let michigan be successful

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

idk man it seems like making that many rings on a regular basis every time you win a natty would be a headache

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

excited for michigan to bust out the limited edition commemorative faberge plates celebrating their 41-13 victory over purdue

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CloFan posted:

I'm just gonna say it

That's too much jewelry for one season

let them have it, i think it's great the plucky lil wolverinos got over the hump

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gonz posted:

Who will Bama hire when DeBoer is gone in 2-3 seasons?

lanning, probably

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, who cares about the gambling, lets not forget he was a walking sex crime allegedly

let him in the hall, then kick him out again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sorry texas fans, time to kill yourselves

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jeremor posted:

Has anybody pickled red onions before? Youtube decided I'm going to watch videos on it now, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look tasty as all hell.

Also, might be taking my wife to her first football game this season. Wondering if i should try for a big game to let her see a good atmosphere, or a cupcake so it's not so intimidating.

it's foolproof and you probably don't even need a recipe

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The Mercedes plant where Nick Saban spoke a few months ago, the vote went against unionization, about 2,600 to 2,000.

ads were going non stop urging people to vote against (and for) unionization; the big selling points of the anti-union folks were "we're like a family we don't need a union" and "if we have a union then i can't talk to my boss anymore" and apparently that works on people

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hi y'all

since i am sure many of you just have this thread bookmarked and don't look at the sports gaming subforum, we're starting up A Big Fuckoff College Football League in NCAA College Football 25

https://discord.com/invite/yVfTWUCq89

with discord scheduling games is easier than it was 10 years ago in the dark ages and with the advent of streaming you can watch your fellow league-mates fail to identify the mike in real time; all experience levels welcomed

come and pilfer 5-stars m'lord

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Adun posted:

What kind of time commitment does this require? Like just schedule/play one game per week?

the madden league in the same server currently moves fairly quickly and does about 1-2 games a week for users; typically you'll have 3 or 4 days to schedule something and people are generally chill about extensions. if you need to miss a week it's not the end of the world either

so you'll have maybe 2 games and then recruiting in a heavy week, so probably 3 hours max a week will be your time commitment as a player (maybe 4 if you manage to fit 3 user games in a single week but that's more of a personal choice). we also don't know how recruiting will actually work (whether it's just points like NCAA 14 or if it's more in depth like NCAA 12/13) so we may adjust accordingly to give people more time to do their stuff

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

find it hard to care about this

nba teams have logo patches and i hated it but now i don't even notice it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Lame, anyone that has no problem with this should stop being a bootlicker. There is no added value for fans.

universities and university sports are money making endeavors; almost everything that is done is never done with the intent of bringing more value to fans

if a single dollar from any ads on a jersey patch go to an athlete then it will have been worthwhile, i can't bring myself to really give a poo poo that miami of ohio is gonna have jiffy lube patches or whatever. i don't pick and choose which parts of the capitalist endeavor i have a problem with being commercial; i'd way rather lean into the absurdity