Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Michigan stealing everything from the title game site is pretty funny. I want to see a full accounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Texas is Back Baby.

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

lol at Sherrone like YEAH I NEED A QUARTERBACK

Go get a better one on the transfer portal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Is it possible to short Billy Napier?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

That was one of the best games I ever saw in my life

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I think he’ll stay. Nobody should be surprised by Evers staying. Wasn’t it heavily hinted at before the playoffs?

Basically already known for awhile that Ewers was staying, even to the point that the Mannings had said they were cool with Arch as backup another year because Eli had done two years of backup work at Ole Miss and thought it had helped him a lot.

Now whether they actually meant it or not, ehhhhhhh. I mean, just like coaches you have to say you are staying and totally devoted to your current school until the very moment you leave.

Also, Sark said they were still going to have a QB competition in the fall for the starting spot. Ewers is really streaky, so I feel like a lot of people saw a down game against UW and think he sucks, but he's still probably a much better passer than Arch right now. He's typically a very good decision-maker, not a lot of turnovers. Arch is a very good runner though -- real quick and hits the running lanes the second they open.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 11, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why are all the OSU players coming back? Go pro already you fools

:sigh:

"Unfinished business"

*loses to Michigan every year of college career*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

He doesn't need NIL money, can live in Austin and is basically guaranteed to get some play next year and then have the reigns for 2-3 after that. If he hits the portal he's a dumb dumb. As long as the path to starting is clear more guys need to stick around.

Yeah with Maalik Murphy transferring out, the path is clear for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Incredible that arguably the biggest college football coaching job comes available, and nobody loving wants it, lol

People wising up. Impossible act to follow and all these candidates can get just as much money where they're at

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hmmmmm Urban Meyer is available, you say?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tommy Rees-Bill O'Brien co-head coaches

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does Bama not have a beloved Sherrone Moore-type assistant that the fan base would love to give a shot to?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna use the Bama opening to negotiate a raise at work

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol this is the fakest leak I've ever seen

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh no! Someone leaked my private conversation about how great Oxford is and how much I believe in the Ole Miss program and how I'm going to win the national championship here! What an invasion of privacy!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Victorious Radia posted:

i really dont get it lol, it literally can only be about the money

Could also be ego. Wants to be the next Nick Saban

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

We are an extremely homogenized society.

Excuse me but my Buccees is greatly superior to your WaWa. In this 12-part essay, I will

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edna Mode posted:

Who is the longest tenured power 5 coach right now? Gundy? Feels crazy UW has had 5 different head coaches while Pete Carroll was the Seahawks' head coach.

Ferentz

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Chicago does rule

It's no New Orleans but it is great

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

post hole digger posted:

i think about moving back to chicago some times but i think the weather would kill my wife

Nonsense, it'll be a balmy -25 next week

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I will never understand why like every team uses TEAM VS EVERYBODY.

Yes, that's the basic concept behind team sports. It isn't WWII and the Big Ten is not the Allies.

Us vs. 12-15 other college teams just doesn't have the same pizzazz

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Children children we can all agree the Mariners suck alright?!

Oh yes, and I hear their fans are not at all dedicated.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

G-Hawk posted:

Texas lands Alabama transfer WR Isaiah Bond. Bond is the No. 1 transfer wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite and led Bama in receptions in 2023

seems good

Thank god, we are losing so many pass catchers to the draft. JaTavion Sanders, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington. It's probably like 90% of our receiving yards in the NFL Draft.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

It still stings a little that we had 4 snaps from inside the 15 with this receiving corps with a trip to the NCG on the line and we couldn’t make it happen

We didn't deserve that win, so it stung less, but I did watch that whole NCG going "goddamn, we would have matched up really well against Michigan".

It woulda been highway robbery if we'd gotten that last-second TD, buttttttttttttttttt pretty good shot at a national title if we had

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's weird that he doesn't know that this would be a step down for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Leveraging my run of Big 10 championships and national title into the one of the lower end jobs in the NFL, where I'll go 6-11 twice and get fired.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That rules

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Can't wait to rack up a dozen SEC and national titles with Tulane

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bama wasn't hustling with the NIL as much as the other big schools, right?

I dunno if these decisions are all money-based, but it can't help

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Rumor on the block was one of the many reason's Saban retired was because he was done with NIL.

They'll have to play some catchup if they didn't build out the capacity as much as the other powerhouses.

Next year is looking super critical for them. If they can keep winning and keep improving their players' NFL Draft stocks, the NIL deficit probably matters a lot less.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Where guys elect to go might be swayed by money but most of the kids leaving now are leaving because they signed on to play with the greatest college coach ever and he’s not there anymore. If Kirby retired you can bet Georgia would see a shitload of transfers as well.

For sure, but Isiah Bond did post on his Instagram from the Lamborghini dealership in Austin.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

Wasn't there a kid in the NFL recently that signed the worst NIL deal where they owed most of their league salary in perpetuity?

lol holy poo poo

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38335229/florida-legislator-says-bears-dt-gervon-dexter-nil-deal-violated-law

quote:

The NIL contract that Chicago Bears rookie Gervon Dexter signed with a speculative investment capital company while playing at the University of Florida in 2022 violated a state NIL law in place at the time, the Florida state legislator who sponsored the bill told ESPN on Tuesday.

Dexter, a second-round draft pick, agreed to pay Big League Advance Fund (BLA) 15% of his pre-tax NFL earnings for the next 25 years in exchange for a one-time payment of $436,485 in 2022, according to a copy of a federal lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court in Gainesville, Florida, on Friday.

According to published reports, Dexter signed a four-year, $6.72 million contract with the Bears on June 16, meaning he would owe BLA about $1 million over the lifetime of that deal.

Hopefully that's not legal! Pre-tax!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I saw something like that a few weeks back. I mean, it’s evergreen, but there’s a whole loving stable of pop warner tyrants foaming at the mouth to defraud as many phenoms as possible.

Worse than pop warner tyrants -- investment capital firms

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Make athletic departments co-ops, distribute all stolen profits back to the workers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean at this point there is zero reason to actually have football attached to the actual school outside nostalgia. They are functionally an independent thing that sometimes the school subsidizes without any real meaningful payoff

I believe football/basketball usually fund every other sport the schools offer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lmao: holy poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh poo poo the Lamborghini Longhorns got TE Amari Niblack from Bama, maybe we will have someone who can approximate Ja’tavion Sanders now.

Also I’m kind of wishing we had Bama on the schedule this year because it’s looking like a very winnable game, which would have been incomprehensible so very recently.

poo poo, Georgia and Michigan aren't enough?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t read the article :(

https://archive.ph/YcfhG

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
People still betting on Major Applewhite

https://twitter.com/SouthAlabamaFB/status/1747988678037651470

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

I feel like I hear less news about Clemson than any other big boy program. Ever since it was clear their season wasn’t going anywhere I do not hear about any big recruiting splashes or anything other than Dabo briefly getting mentioned in the Bama sweepstakes.

Is there not much happening or just not making news?

They can't hack it in the portal era and are probably gonna spend some time in the wilderness until they get rid of Dabo. They won't completely crater because they play in the ACC, but they'll be in dogfights with, like, UNC and Louisville to make the ACC title game.