Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ohio State failed to win the Peach Bowl and then Penn State failed to win the Peach Bowl.

I wonder who gets the next shot at being the first team to get all six wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kloaked00 posted:

Cross posting from the NFCN thread, but I can only assume Harbaugh is doing this because he truly thinks he’ll be back in the NFL next year, or because he’s utterly oblivious.

Yeah, that's got plenty of "yeah totally do this because it won't be my problem to deal with! Away I go!" on it, but then again he's a goober.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harbaugh to Bama

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I feel as if a great cloud were lifted, except for Alabama who is plunging into 30 years of darkness

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Roll....back

I mean the tide does have to ebb

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Woozie66 posted:

Old Browns are the New Browns. It's Browns all the way down.

The Browns, Bengals, and Ravens are all the Browns and the Cowher era Steelers were coached by a Brown, so yes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ha-ha Clinton Dix? Did they pull that one out of a hat?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Canned Sunshine posted:

Didn't Paterno retire and then died like weeks/months later? (though in his case, rest in piss)

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't have a link to a study with hard numbers, but something like 5 out of 6 seniors who suffer major fractures or broken bones die with a year of it happening, from resulting complications that are basically unpreventable. This is also why I'm amazed Mitch McConnell made it past Christmas after his rib fracture last March, and why there's still a fairly good chance he may not make it past THIS March.

EDIT: I only bring that up because you said Paterno broke his pelvis. Did the break or complications thereof contribute to his death at all?

All I've read is that it was the chemo that got him in the end

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

facialimpediment posted:

Norvell got that James Franklin money

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1745858067072221518?t=Sv0ADpjLE4qNZtNEQ9SwFw&s=19

It remains a bit amazing at how much money coaches make when they get a star quarterback (or running back in Michigan State's case)
Should have saved that money to buy a copy of the ACC's TV deal to read

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

Weird, it's like giant piles of money will make living anywhere tolerable.

I'd live in a sleeping bag on a wind blasted rock in the North Atlantic for a year for $10m.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Oh look, a bunch of stupid bullshit

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

You guys are acting like the dudes making $100-200k

Seriously. Oh no why would a coach leave a major city and go to a small city! He can't get Thai food or whatever! It isn't like he couldn't afford to arbitrarily build Alabama's greatest Thai restaurant if he wanted it so bad. Or hire a chef.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Such a better strategy than Shen Yun

I'm intrigued by the visuals of it, but my distaste for Falun Gong outweighs my distaste for the PRC.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

2015 Kansas

Also from this article looks like we have an 0-12 season from Duke in 2006 and a number of 0-11 campaigns from them in the 80s and 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_college_football_winless_seasons
Those 2020 ones shouldn't count

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I will never understand why like every team uses TEAM VS EVERYBODY.

Yes, that's the basic concept behind team sports. It isn't WWII and the Big Ten is not the Allies.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I forgot about the Ashford University thing. One of my friends got his "Masters" from there. His job paid for 100 percent of it, otherwise he would have never bothered. Turns out he was in the first tranche that got University of Arizona degrees. He called it the most prestigious diploma mill around.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Would you even need an apartment? Just haunt the training facility. Crash on the couch in your office, crash on that one assistant's couch in their office. Back hurts? Sleep on one of the trainer's massage couches.

Extended Stay America for you. Only like $40k a year! That's low enough that you could probably get the team to pay for it!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think that's less unreasonable than two G5 teams getting into the playoffs while Alabama or Penn State manage to not moonwalk into the last spot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Truther Vandross posted:

It will always be a better job due to the in-state talent alone. The job is great. They just keep hiring idiots to do it.

I'd almost consider them equals, but more a slight edge to Florida. The state does have more upside to it from a recruiting perspective, Florida's space in the SEC is more of a known quantity than where Washington will fit into the Big Ten, and "GATORS" seem to be more of a brand than the Huskies. If "which is better, Ohio State or Georgia" was a 50/50 "they're equally good jobs," I'd think of Washington and Florida like a 48/52.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

post hole digger posted:

this is the worst graphic ive ever seen. why did they not just do the whole bracket. where are the 7, 9, 11 and 12 seeds

So you click on the article to see #12 Liberty

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My 360 died last week, so this is right on schedule

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seaniqua posted:

If you play as your favorite team in the video game, you're weak. My 5-peat Idaho Vandals national champions are the only dynasty I truly recognize

Uh, you do both: obliterate everything in your path with your favorite team and develop another team into a juggernaut. Then, when both make the national championship, smash the weaker team for the first three quarters before switching sides and seeing if you can come back against your own massive lead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NCAA Football Ultimate Team NIL is not a simulation, but an actual binding contract with you the player!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

backup on the track team at Austin Peay

Pretty sure this guy isn't generating a fraction of a cent

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

a massive percentage of corporations in all manner of industries are operating at a constant loss and still paying their workers, even if they have forty divisions and only one happens to turn a profit (or none, even, in the case of something like warner bros.)

when you see a problem of payment for labor and start to rationalize why the millionaires and billionaires at the top can’t possibly pay their water polo players or whatever even just minimum wage, you are doing too much for them.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

The guy running track isn't labor. He's a guy running track in college because he wants to run track. That really is an extracurricular activity that the university is paying for.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Judgy Fucker posted:

Attention Bajoran workers student-athletes:

Saban, if you are seeing this recording, it means you tried to abandon your post while the stadium's self-destruct sequence was engaged. That will not be permitted. You have lost control of the Crimson Tide, disgracing yourself and Alabama. Your attempt to escape is no doubt a final act of cowardice. All fail-safes have been eliminated. Your personal access codes have been rescinded. The destruct sequence can no longer be halted. All you can do now is contemplate the depth of your disgrace and try to die like a, uh, Red Elephant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t see what being attached to the school actually does for this. If you separated them administratively do you think most students would even notice ? They would still treat it as the school team by inertia if anything else

As long as the players still had to be students at said school, no one would even notice anything was different.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

People here always underestimate the PR value that a good athletic program brings to a school. Alabama is/was thought of as a football powerhouse instead of a school in a backwater state. Smaller schools like Florida Gulf Coast or Valpo get remembered because of two weeks in March when they would otherwise be unknown outside of their local regions. That awareness in of itself is almost priceless in some cases.

The school I got my Masters is one of those schools that people split into "before the time we made the Final Four" and "after the time we made the Final Four." Went from a commuter school to a regular university with dorms and everything in like five years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

predicto posted:

If you are talking George Mason, there is also a huge amount of money from far-right billionaires and foundations financing that growth.

Works for me!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still can't get over the fact that we had a football game end with the ritual suicide of a gigantic pastry creature

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sorry but that dude looks like the villain in a 1980s summer camp movie.

He just wants those no class snowboarders to stay off Prep Skier Mountain

Oh no his girlfriend ran off with a snowboarder!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NCAA should ban spring practice imo

I wish they could play an actual exhibition game in the spring!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just assume Penn State can beat Michigan because it is a back and forth series that's weirdly streaky but also incredibly lopsided score-wise after Lloyd Carr. Like one will lose three or four games in a row to the other and they're all these 42-17 games, then flips around to the opposite outcomes. Carr won a mess of one score games. Michigan has won three straight, so time to flip around.

Ohio State, on the other hand, I think I've given up on that for now. Penn State has won once in the last 12 games and that's the worst run against any opponent since the days of UPenn before WWI.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd like a 1 loss season sometime

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

I think he was always leaving to the nfl after winning a championship tho.

I tend to agree. For all the "he's a total weirdo" talk, he does come off like one of those guys that's definitely committed to "doing better." He coached in a Super Bowl and that just says to me that he's never going to be satisfied without correcting that Super Bowl loss.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is somewhat self-fulfilling, is it not? Those schools get all of the prime viewership slots.

What's the prime viewership slots? Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State were all playing each other at noon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Adun posted:

I mean good luck Michigan bros. As a Duke guy though I’d say hiring a guy just because he’s around and can take care of the incoming class or the players on hand instead of thinking long term might end up in weird losses to Pitt

Can this be weird losses to Penn State or does it only apply to one of the Pennsylvania schools?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know if averaging 22 bets a day is a lot but it seems like a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well that's extra not good. I was first thinking like "how could you even find enough to things to bet on to keep that pace going?" But then I considered that maybe things like "bet on every NFL game and top 25 college game per weekend" was common and it adds up more than you'd think and compounds with prop bets and parlays.