Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Black, that famous color associated with Alabama football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of rich people are behind the times on the concept of "shell company where you pay people for doing nothing"

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

possible that this is one of the weirdest tweets I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1747013449409052841?t=i36MoCVj6PI0TA-ToImPHA&s=19

and this is from the team that does yearly schedule anime intros

soo hungry need to find my coach and head to pf changs

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It might be described as a 4 year contract in summary, but in practice it would probably be like 1 year with 3 option years.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Coco13 posted:

Forming an action committee when the problem is in the mirror is probably not going to be helpful.

tim_robinson_hotdogman.jpg

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

A deeper, more interesting dive would be to look at that viewership concentration over time, as I have a suspicion that it's mostly just reflecting teams consistently ranked, as most people like watching ranked matchups more than unranked ones. Like, there's probably teams 20 years ago who were consistently ranked who would've been in that top group of TV ratings, but once their winning percentage fell down, so did the ratings. If you could separate out that ranking effect, it would give you a better sense of who's watching because of the reach of the brand versus who's watching because it happens to be the best looking game in the timeslot.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Neil Armbong posted:

I still really hope those idiots don't open the door to private equity in college sports -- if a program is considering it they're likely over leveraged and IDK how they'll handle the way PE ensure they get theirs. It's not a viable long term strategy and would likely represent a program signing their own death certificate.

Formerly indestructible brand names becoming hollowed-out shells of their former selves would be all too relatable for the college football audience.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I can see why he might not want his image or likeness to be widely viewed

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Talk about swabbing down the poop deck!

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Penn State wrestling is like if Saban's run at Alabama was 300% more dominant over every other team

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wasn't it in like Jacksonville?

Yeah, it took several years of empty ACC title games in Tampa and Jacksonville before they finally had to give up on the dream of Florida State and Miami both being good at the same time and playing each other for the conference title.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Gonz posted:

It must constantly be reiterated that if the present day Iowa Hawkeyes were able to field even a middle of the road offense, run by a middle of the road QB, they’d become borderline unstoppable and would compete for a National title annually.

But Kirk Ferentz & Pals cannot for the life of them find any human beings on Earth who are interested in playing any offensive position outside of TE for that program.

It’s mindboggling.

Remember 15-20 years ago when Bud Foster would create insanely sick defenses for Virginia Tech only to get paired with the most inert offenses of all time? At some point you have to think that a do-nothing offense is a design objective for a team that focuses so heavily on defense.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It's a lagging indicator but it's very good for measuring performance relative to expectations. Like, if a team has 10 players drafted but only won 7 games, what gives? Better have some strong mitigating circumstances because that's a pretty damning indictment of your coaching staff. Won 10 games with only 2 players drafted? You've got a team that's way more than the sum of their parts.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The quotes in here are hilarious for the reality that what they spoke of in the early 90s as being the ACC's biggest strength (innovation in TV rights, and expansion) became their complacent death knell 30 years later more or less.

Feel like this is a recurring theme in a lot of places, someone innovates once, has tremendous success, and then just coasts on the glideslope into retirement or irrelevance, whichever comes first. Maybe it's because they're convinced of the genius of their first innovation, maybe they accomplished everything they wanted and didn't want to strive higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Neil Armbong posted:

also, clemson seems like they're on the decline and heading further down in football at the wrong time. unsure how the rest of their sports are but IDK they're the slam dunk to get a premier conference bid folks seem to think they are.

I feel like Clemson could probably get back into title contention (instead of being a "just OK" 10-win kind of team) if Dabo can be made to give up his vendetta against transfers. Mike Krzyzewski had to finally give up on his opposition to 1-and-dones and it worked out almost instantly for him.