Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Harbaugh to Bama you heard it here first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I asked my Bama alum wife her opinion
"We all knew he was two-faced before he arrived"

Lmao at the "betrayal"

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I sent this to the Bama family chat , thank you

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saban wasn’t an amazing scheme guy. He built his success on recruiting. His run was basically proof that you can recruit at the absolute top level Bama for decades. That speaks to a level of institutional support and location that simply may not be possible at other places. It may be (sure seems to be at Georgia), but we know for sure that it’s possible at Bama. That in and of itself makes it an attractive job.

I think that's underselling him quite a bit. Saban was excellent schematically on defense, he was excellent at coaching up players, and he was excellent at recruiting. He was even excellent at recognizing his weakness on offense and getting good coordinators to cover for him there. There's a reason he has 7 national titles.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My Bama alum brother in law said their next coach is going to be the Tim Floyd to Saban's Phil Jackson and I'm cackling

My wife/inlaws were all there when Illinois was outperforming Bama (late 90s -mid 00s) so they're being pretty stoic about things so long as I don't bring up Mike Shula or Price

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've lived in Chicagoland for almost twenty years now and it's way too warm each winter and only trending warmer and is really annoying. I wish I could live in Minneapolis

Today we had a "snow day" with school cancelled and it snowed an inch overnight and just rained all day

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

predicto posted:

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

That started in the late 90s or early 00s, it's how my in law went there on a full ride and got to experience the 3 coach year. So it predates Saban by quite a bit.

When my spouse went there earlier to do dig school she was one of the few northerners and there was tons of culture shock by everyone. The main story I remember is people being shocked she enjoyed sweet corn as a food for some reason.

Edit: also, sorority rush was even worse back then from the stories I hear. The HBO documentary on Bama last year didn't even break the surface on the nastiness and racism of explicitly not picking girls of color embedded deep within.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 18, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Komet posted:

In the end, I was disappointed with Bama Rush because it seemed apologetic about the culture.

Yeah, the people I know who were in said sorority system were mad that it didn't go nearly hard enough at the nasty underbelly of it. There's a lot to dig up and expose.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

He looks like Matt Eberflus's kid, complete with the same haircut but it hasn't thinned yet

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Putting this in two threads

https://twitter.com/joshdubowap/status/1752125724046012854?t=YM9Zlf0iCDM7UJTgwfAA7Q

Illini players who have
Howard Griffith: 12 pts
Pierre Thomas: 6 pts
Kelvin Hayden: 6 pts off a rex Grossman pick six
Neil rackers: 3 pts

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Does that mean Kentucky and Missouri have to join the Big 10?

The war over the border states reignites after 150 years

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It seems like playing an oaf at center just doesn't work come tourney time and Purdue fans should accept that. It sure didn't with the Illini and Kofi a few years back. Even guys with a lot more mobility like Zion couldn't get it done.

Edit : after typing this I realized I'm wrong because Cameron Krutwig with Loyola Chicago was definitely an oaf and had great success. I think I just really hate Edey

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 19, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

mcmagic posted:

They typically don't have the big 10 refs to give them twice the number of free throws in tourney games which is also a pretty big factor.

I'm about to start screaming about the refs being so one sided in favor of Sean May that they fouled out the Illini's center in 9 minutes back in '05. It took me almost a decade to watch college ball again after that, especially after the '01 Arizona game where 6 Illini fouled out in response to the NCAA being furious that MSU had won a national title and instructed refs to go after big ten teams.

But I should probably go back to caring more about football and believing in Big Bert

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 19, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s a shame that there’s not some city that Northwestern is the real Big Ten team of that has a professional football stadium they could use

They're going to play at every field possible except Soldier, aren't they? Wrigley, Lambeau, wherever the fire play, Evanston high school?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Warbird posted:

And we'd loving deserve it. God I'm half tempted to look up an alumni association so I can go yell at someone.

My family is way more upset about this than Saba
"That's no way to treat a legend. You have to come to some sweetheart emeritus arrangement"
"This is so wrong on every level"

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 21, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

General Dog posted:

I don’t think you can live a year in Lubbock without at least entertaining the idea of a flat Earth. You just step outside each day and look to the horizon and eventually think “maybe this is all there ever was.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvU10OzGDv4

Texans probably have thoughts similar to this all the time

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The gently caress coastal

What the heck is going on at Auburn

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Woops wrong thread

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

“Actually, college football is immoral and illegal”

Might as well drag Auburn into the gutter with them. Smart move

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jeremor posted:

gently caress it, it's the off-season thread

Planning a trip to Detroit and Chicago later this year and wondered if there were a few things we should definitely go see? My wife is vegetarian, so some inclusive food places would be awesome. I trust the ncaa thread on food.

Architectural boat tour (cue goon legend DMB story here)
Field history and Museum of science & industry are world class, as is the Art institute

Come to the chicago thread too for food, there's so many great options that it's overwhelming. One nice thing is that Chicago has quality at all price points.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

swickles posted:

Wait, a goon was involved in the DMB poo poo dumping incident?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's on amazon as well if anyone's using their reward card. I'm tempted since I'm still happily gaming on a 10 year old ps4 that is loud as all getout

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

Awesome that’s good news. I’ll grab a disc model most likely because I have a handful of ps4 discs I’d like to keep up with.

Don't forget your library may have a lending network you can get discs in. I have access to two and it's kept gaming costs absolutely minimal. Sadly, it's not so good for games for the kid (kids gently caress up discs) but works fine for stuff like yakuza. Then I can PC game with the $1.50/mo xbox stuff, and get switch carts from the library as well. Great time to be alive.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Roasted Donut posted:

nowhere else to put this but as usual march madness for wrestling has been wild so far. i also give it a huge recommendation to watch, one of the most fun and intense sporting events of the year. it just sucks that it's always the same weekend as basketball

going in to the semifinals and blood rounds tonight psu still has all 10 of their wrestlers going and 6 of them are in the semifinals. will likely have at least 4 national titles and wouldn't be surprised if they get all 10 as all americans (though it will be real tough for bernie truax who has had a great year but got his ankle/knee hosed up pretty badly in his match this morning). their bonus point total might end up being good enough to finish in the top 10ish overall of the standings lol. would be nice to take home the all time national point total and really continue to dismantle everything iowa holds dear

I haven't followed college wrestling since I was in high school, but I take it that Cael Sanderson one upped Dan Gable with his collegiate career and now is doing that while coaching?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
So why is that happening with this specific program? Is like Iowa in 80s&90s but also getting transfers/NIL to make the advantage even bigger?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I didn't realize it was as big a deal as it is, wiki says there's 78 div 1 teams. I assumed it was like mens gymnastics (12 div 1 teams) or rugby which I assume is about the same.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jeremor posted:

I think high school wrestling is due for an increase in popularity in the next decade. I see a lot of kids trying out BJJ these days, most teens can apply a pretty decent rear naked choke just from watching ufc highlights. Considering most of the most effective poo poo in bjj is extremely similar to catch wrestling, I hope kids start taking an interest in it. I wish I had done it.

As a former high school wrestler, I kind of hope not. I doubt they've solved the culture around weight loss/cutting that's so pervasive and just not necessary for most kids to do. I'm trying to get my kid into judo just to avoid those issues, as I had some bad experiences with them personally.

I've watched the Olympic competitions for years (remember rulon Gardner?!) , but I try to watch any and all events for Olympics. You all should get hyped for it this summer, and just don't sweat the various rules.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My Olympic highlight was being a stay at home dad with a baby during the Rio Olympics and just watching hours of live feeds of any and all events. A bunch had ioc commentary which I didn't expect.

The feeds were available on Comcast, I think as part of how NBC got the rights. Then my spouse would watch the highlights on NBC at night and would be stuck waiting like 2 hours to see what Raisman and Biles had done

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU crowns 4 national champs, breaks the all time points record. They also beat second place by 100 points, obliterating the old record by 30. Starocci and Brooks are both 4 time NCAA champs, making them the 6th and 7th guys to ever do it. Got real choked up after Starocci's win when he basically confirmed he wrestled the whole tournament with a torn ACL. Barely have any words for this. A performance the likes of which may never be seen again.

Jesus

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://evanstonroundtable.com/2024/03/29/northwestern-ryan-field-temporary-stadium/
Proposal they play here:

This would be sick, I'd love to see a northwestern game right next to the lake on the beautiful gray 25 degree day in november being battered by cold wind off the water as they lose to Illinois 7-3.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
They said they'll add 15k temp seats in the article but I think it'd be more comfortable to just pull up next to it in a boat with a giant periscope

I just realized I played rugby on that field, that'd be absolutely fitting of a NU game to just toss down some bleachers and call it a day.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 29, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

I took my dad to the game where MSU lost in overtime, which was painful, but I also went as a neutral observer to the game where they beat Jack Coan era Wisconsin and participated in a field rush of maybe a hundred people. RIP

My (bama alum) brother in law and I went to the Akron game with brand new Akron gear on, talked poo poo to the NU fans the entire time which was fun when they were getting stomped, then got really embarrassed when Akron proceeded to win off three straight defensive TDs. We should have rushed the field though

Then northwestern won the division that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Good lord I didn't expect them to not have most of the stands along the sidelines, this is awful