Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
congrats to michigan even if they are the biggest dorks imaginable. solid season capped off with a definitive win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
hell yes. if harbaugh also leaves ot the nfl the carousel is starting back up.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

If there’s anything to the Sark talk I think the end result is just that he gets a raise at Texas.

yeah, texas to bama is a lateral move on a few levels, and a step down in terms of expectations. this season exceeded anything texas fans were anticipating and the next person at bama is kinda set up to fail.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Relentlessboredomm posted:

FSU should've told them to pound sand, loving taking that much punishment for something so trivial from an org that's on its last legs

The ACC contract and GOR situation doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence on the competence of FSU admins past and present.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

The only non-funny option is happening goddammit Bama.

it could be funny if he scott frosts it. he's not likely too, but there's a chance.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

swickles posted:

Harbaugh wasn't fired either. He had beef with the front office, and they struggled for power, so he just left for Michigan. Him going to college was the big shock, because he easily could have stayed in the NFL.

right. he's proven he can succeed in the nfl and i think it will eat at him that john has won superbowls, including one against him.

the michigan fans i know irl don't think he'll go because "it's too late in the cycle and will burn too many bridges." i don't agree with this, he got them a playoff title and has set the program up for success.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Iowa has known they have needed a new OC since the end of October

They have still not hired one

i wonder if he's daring them to fire him over brian being forced out.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
y'all, cougar gold is really good aged cheddar. after hearing about it and reading about it for years in CFB media, finally ordered some and it lived up to the hype. go cougs. rip wheeze.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Warbird posted:

The dumbass tweets have a nugget of truth in there that isn't new but has become extremely apparent to the homers. I love that the kids are getting properly compensated and can more reasonably move schools, but I do wonder how long this can go on without regulation or it all just exploiting. I'm not sure it's a solvable problem either as any attempt to reign things in will just have it go back to bag men and so on. "Ignorance" was bliss I suppose.

The sport is firmly on a trajectory to ‘even more hosed than it currently is’ on a few fronts. Transfer portal windows, NIL wild west, and coaching - Bama just hired two G5 HCs as assistants. It’s a period of massive change and it’s going to be interesting to see where it ends up.

E: player agency is a good thing, my point is idk if it’s at a sustainable place atm

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Not saying this in an annoyed / disparaging way, but can you post your sources on this stuff? I'm not seeing much of anything on my feed other than today was the second interview for LA (and striking distance report) and the second interview for Atlanta is done already. No numbers reported at all, other than speculation that the LA owner is cheap as gently caress on coaching salaries.

I’ve seen salary numbers coming out today. I feel like he knew the non firing clause was a poison pill to getting a contract done that allows him to leave Michigan while being able to say they just couldn’t get a deal done. I think he was always leaving to the nfl after winning a championship tho.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
IDK. After seeing the interviews post game, the michigan players seemed built different and likely have larger allegiances to the school vs the players being p squarely drawn to Saban at Bama. They all kinda came across as dorks and given how often other folks were HC this year, I feel like they won't have as many players entering the portal as bama.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It kind of surprises me that he hasn't just gone that route, he does not care for the forward pass so like why even bother just run a scheme based entirely around corn fed fullbacks. Worked for nebraska for a long time.

that could lead to scoring points, so no deal.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

This is a pretty big domino to fall if it falls.

UNC were the ACC stalwarts from previous reporting if I remember right. Like, they were the ones who weren't making any noise and wanted everything to stay the same weren't they?

e: from the article I guess they did explore getting out of that grant of rights.

this seems like signaling as loud as possible that they'd go if someone put up money to help.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

SI has no staff. Are they just crawling message boards for rumors to have an LLM generate a report on?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Horrible look for UCLA, your HC left to not be the HC at a program in the conference you're joining. Talk about instantly being considered a second run after thought.

They are an unserious football program. It’s the appropriate look for them.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

further re-enforces how unserious they are about football.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I would take more as a “we’re waiting until December to make an actual hire” hire, which here in mid-February is probably a defensible move.

isn't the whole reason chip is leaving that they won't commit to him/pay what they need to and invest in the program appropriately? you're not wrong and i'm not quite ready to give them the credit of playing the long game or having a plan.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

Instead of mining coal they should be mining crypto

texas did this. and was so desperate to attract 'tech' to the state, they have contracts where they have to pay the miners when they have to ask them to conserve energy.

our state run by free market capitalist is so loving stupid that the agreements result in miners making more money conserving energy than mining crypto: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bitcoi...%20the%20state.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Komet posted:

Somebody please start talking about barbecue

what the gently caress is wrong with the big 10. so many schools in that conference seem to be magnets for sex pests.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Adun posted:

Between the whole “signing the grant of rights” thing and then having a leaked PowerPoint that ironically uses “Newco” to describe a vehicle for selling off FSU’s marketing rights to a private equity firm in order to get out of said grant of rights, I get the sense that FSU is run pretty poorly

I still really hope those idiots don't open the door to private equity in college sports -- if a program is considering it they're likely over leveraged and IDK how they'll handle the way PE ensure they get theirs. It's not a viable long term strategy and would likely represent a program signing their own death certificate.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

Does the NCAA own March madness? Like say the NCAA just dissolves into nothing - couldn’t whatever takes its place just remake March madness exactly the same?

Why is everyone assuming stopping infraction enforcement or payers being played means the organization goes away? March Madness is worth billions, generates a tone of revenue for them in ways I'm sure enforcement doesn't and I'm sure the other tournaments and championships also generate some revenue. Stopping one thing doesn't mean they just disappear -- if anything I'd imagine theyll make more money as investigations can't be cheap.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

As it goes into in the article, only 20% of jalapenos are sold fresh to consumers, the rest are processed, primarily into salsa. Those manufacturers, being the primary buyers, get to dictate what farmers produce, and what the manufacturers want is consistency. Salsa comes in mild, medium, and hot varieties, and rather than using three different types of pepper to create these, it's cheaper and easier for them to use one line of mild peppers and then add varying amounts of capsaicin extract to create higher-heat products.

Gross. Makes sense why my jalapenos I grow seem hotter than those from the store. drat those cake eaters in college station.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm fairly certain they just invited the most prominent programs that didn't receive the death penalty. If Smu didn't get caught they would of joined up over ttu. Arkansas already left a few years earlier being the only program outside of Texas.

Ann Richards was the governor and is the reason Baylor is in the Big 12. They were are total non-entity that should've been left behind.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

It’d be funniest if ACC just boots Clemson and FSU and the Big 2 says no to two squabbling bomb throwers who have a problem with contracts they willingly signed, so they just end up in the Big XII with smaller revenue shares.

But I’m not holding my breath.

we don't live in a just world, so this won't happen.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
It seems like it's NFL and 'sports executives' lol -- networks? more NFL folks? and likely the presidents of universities outside of b1g and sec that will amount to nothing. just like the 'alliance.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

On day one, I kicked in $42.27, $45.23, and $30.24.

No reason in particular.

also we apparently won a national championship in debate, so ergo, gently caress you

This is my final year to be able to give $27.25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Imagine getting your car booted for Taco Bell instead of just getting some loving pho or ramen

There’s also a good amount of street parking in the area. El penis gonna el penis.