Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Glimm posted:

I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of this terrible game. Hope it works on SteamDeck

Should be a day-1 on xbox gamepass if you've got enough of a network connection to play over cloud gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Omnikin posted:

It MAY be - this is the first entry in the franchise for a decade, the hype might be big enough to drive these subscriptions. I do think Metapod is right in thinking that none of the other EA titles are day 1 game pass on release, but about six months behind. We're due for Madden 24 to hit GamePass sometime in the next few weeks, if it stays true.

This. MS needs to shell out the cash to have a day 1 because cloud gaming.

Metapod posted:

It absolutely won't

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that it should be a day 1 game pass so I can play it on my phone. Not that it will be.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

Updated my Big 12 prestige rankings following this past season.

Each season each team gets their conference record ratio (eg, going 5-4 gets you .556 points), runner-up in conference championship game OR being the head-to-head loser in a co-champion season is .5 bonus points, winning the B12CCG or being the head-to-head winner co-champion gets you 1 bonus point.

Kansas State now the Big 12 program with the most cred.

Not usually gonna be a lot of movement from season to season, though Iowa State leapt past Texas A&M and Colorado this year.

Poor Kansas still behind a program that's been in the conference less than half as long as they have :smith:

Also, Tech really suffered from being in the South those first 15 years or whatever. Won a lot of conference games, but no bonus points.

Tech could pass Neb next year. Not bad.

And you're telling me. Big XII South was brutal. 2008 we tied for the top team in the south, losing out on just tiebreakers. That should count for something!

Also, may I share the 1994 SWC circle of suck:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/swc/1994.html
pre:
Overall	Conference	Points Per Game	SRS	Polls	
School	W	L	T	Pct	W	L	T	Pct	Off	Def	SRS	SOS	AP Pre	AP High	AP Rank	Notes
Texas	8	4	0	.667	4	3	0	.571	30.5	24.3	6.33	1.41	18	12	25	
Baylor	7	5	0	.583	4	3	0	.571	30.2	23.1	2.67	-1.41				record adjusted to 7-4-0 by NCAA
Texas Christian	7	5	0	.583	4	3	0	.571	25.2	25.1	1.31	0.39				
Texas Tech	6	6	0	.500	4	3	0	.571	26.0	20.5	5.98	1.73				
Rice	5	6	0	.455	4	3	0	.571	18.7	18.5	-2.48	-2.48				
Texas A&M	10	0	1	.955	6	0	1	.929	29.0	13.4	14.88	-0.40	15	6	8	
Houston	1	10	0	.091	1	6	0	.143	10.5	36.5	-18.23	1.23				
SMU	1	9	1	.136	0	6	1	.071	17.9	31.2	-10.16	1.84				
One of my favorite "historical" seasons, wherein 5 teams tied for 2nd in the conference with A&M having run roughshod but was ineligible for postseason play. TTU was chosen to represent the conference in the Cotton Bowl by virtue of having not been there since 1939 (the year before "the game punts rained from the sky").

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

What's the prime viewership slots? Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State were all playing each other at noon.

All of the games on the broadcast networks are prime slots. Top viewership is spread between the Noon, 3:30, and 7:30 on Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. Top ESPN game doesn't usually come until 7th or 8th each week.

It does seem like a huge noon game gives a boost to the follow-up games. But it's mostly because the biggest games of the week are on the broadcast networks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rabbit (Dadrian Taylor-Demerson) is an exceptional safety. Undersized a bit, but fast enough to make up for it (hence the rabbit nickname). Definite NFL potential.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Texas Tech's season certainly ramps in difficulty. Tech plays 3 teams in a row coming off byes and 4 out of 5 in the mid-season. Granted, Tech will be coming off their own bye for 2 of those, but still.

Baylor (both teams off byes)
TCU
Iowa State
Colorado
Oklahoma State (both teams off byes)

What a wild sequence. Also, got that coveted Nov 30th home game...

For other teams:

- KSU and Arizona are each playing 10 big XII games. I'm assuming they had a non-conference game scheduled with each other and so are honoring that and just playing a non-conference conference game.
- Arizona, UCF, ISU, TTU, and WVU have each scheduled 7 home games. No teams have 3 non-conference home games or 8 home games total. Will be interesting to see if any teams schedule 3 at home next season.
- Kansas, ISU, UH, UCF, and Arizona avoid having consecutive weeks on the road. BYU and Colorado have consecutive non-conference games on the road.
- For weird, non-regional road trips: Arizona State visits Texas State, and Kansas State has a return trip to Tulane. KSU lost to Tulane a couple years ago at home.
- TCU and UCF kick off the Big XII schedule in week 3. TCU plays SMU in week 4, while UCF plays Florida in October. Iowa State has the only week 3 bye, doesn't play their first big XII game until week 5.
- KSU and OSU have the worst schedules between their byes, playing 3 games on the road to 1 game at home in the months of Oct/Nov.
- UCF plays 7 straight between their bye weeks, the longest stretch without a break for any team.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Seaniqua posted:

This is one of the best offseason derails I've ever seen and I'm actually 100% interested. Goons with nuanced opinions ITT

Yes, I learned something today.

I wonder if WV is also doing any PR around the end-use of their coal as being for coke rather than power generation. That would change perceptions somewhat over the entire mining industry there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jeremor posted:

it's going to just be madden with a thin coat of paint on it, isn't it?

I'm trying not to get suckered in for this but I know I'm going to buy it anyway

From what I understand, they deliberately wanted to present a different gameplay style than Madden and have built it ground up with a different engine.

So yeah, it'll probably be Madden with fresh paint

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

trevorreznik posted:

What the heck is going on at Auburn

Does Auburn require students to buy tickets as a separate package?

Tech has a mandatory athletics ticket fee, which is what is shown in the graph, which gets you in to all the games. Can only opt out if you're a grad student or a few other cases, but the value for the fee is comparatively high, and the usage was something pretty crazy, close to 80% attended at least 1 sporting event.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

LA sucks yeah.

Come to San Diego. I will treat you well. We will go to the Midway.

I dunno, though. I'd eat at Tacos los Cholos any day. That place is good.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Judgy Fucker posted:

I've had Mexican food in Paris, and lemme tell you, it was not good

Otherwise I generally agree

I tried a pizza in France. It was one of the highest rated pizza joints in the region. Hoo boy was that a bad pizza. I'd give pizza another shot in southern France, but never again in northern.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

I had three burgers while I was in Switzerland:

The Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne. This one feels like cheating because literally everything I ate there was practically the best version of it possible.

Funky Claude's Bar in the Hotel Fairmont Le Montreux Palace. They were very simple mini burgers, but I could have eaten a thousand of them. I'll admit that I only half remember this because it was during the jazz festival and I was already drunk.

Holy Cow in Zürich. It is my understanding that there are a number of these. It was more in line with a fast causal restaurant and when put in that context, it was definitely better than what you'd get in the same kind of place in the US. The only place that seems to actually know what barbecue sauce is in the whole of Europe. It was during Züri Fäscht, so getting anything to eat in the first place felt like an achievement.

This reminds me that the weirdest place I've found an exceptional burger was in the warm heart of Africa, Malawi. Had a couple, but the one that stands out in my mind was at this tiny, remote lodge on a small nature park called Nyala lodge in Lengwe National Park. Simple: half pound burger cooked to a juicy medium (don't eat rare beef in Africa), bacon, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion. Fresh bun, either cooked in house or bought from a local kitchen that day. Exquisite and so very surprising. Went perfect with a Gin & Tonic or 3.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drunk leprechaun posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been there. Didn't get the burger though, or it didn't leave an impression....

Crazy small world.

I should mention that I got it again for lunch the next day and it wasn't as good as dinner the night before. So it could have been more about me (we had just spent the day first driving, then at my friend's peace corps village/ranch tagging cattle), or it could have been the cook at that time.

What took you to the Shire?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drunk leprechaun posted:

Long story short I had a totally free summer, too much money, and was chasing a girl doing study abroad. So yeah. Spent 12 weeks all over southern Africa.

I hope you also got to see Majete or Liwonde when you were there. That's a pretty cool trip.

I was there back in 2017, when African Parks had just taken over Liwonde (and had only had Majete for 2-3 years) so I guess it also depends on how far back it was that you visited. Hell, if you went back far enough, you'd have been at Lengwe before they gutted it of large animals. They would have had Elephants, plentiful Nyala, and possibly even some of the big cats back in 2012ish. By 2017, all they had were Nyala (and overgrown trails). These days, who even knows.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech's best sport is apparently Track & Field. 3 national titles in the last 5 years.

T&F awards 6 national titles per year, 1 each for men's & women's in cross country, indoor, and outdoor, so there are technically more chances, but still. Indoor & outdoor teams are generally the same athletes, while cross country has its own set of scholarships.

And yet we still celebrate the 2019 Basketball loss as the high point in Tech sports for the last 3 decades...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Metapod posted:

Ttus best sport is meat judging

Fair. I wasn't considering the non-athletic or non-mainstream competitions. Cheer also has a number of national titles, and the chess program is still top 10 despite the traitorous Polgar moving her team out of Lubbock.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

I'll save you the click:

- 14 teams
- No auto-byes
- Sounds like just 5 auto-births, no bonus auto births for SEC/Big Ten
- 29% to SEC/Big Ten, 17% to Big XII, 14% to ACC, 9% to split amongst the G5, 1% for Notre Dame, and the change to be split amongst the remaining independents (UConn, Oregon State, Wazzu.)

For the record, I've loved the format for the Big XII's basketball tournament this year, with its 14 teams and top 4 getting double byes. It's a format that I didn't think about, but it's been really entertaining.

But I don't think they'd go for a 5 round playoff in football and #'s 12-14 needing to win 5 straight. I'm guessing the 4 round playoff will remain with just 2 teams getting byes.

e: Actually, thinking about it more... I could see them doing the 5 round playoff. Lets you shed the G5 champ, and a few runners up from the tournament much earlier while guaranteeing your big names (the ones that secured the top 4 spots) make it through to the later rounds.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 14, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
^^ I think they should, but they should also not get guaranteed money from the playoff and only get cash if they make it.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't see how you could do five weeks unless it starts the week after the conference championships and Army/Navy are willing to move off the date. You need to have the championship game done before the NFL season wraps now that the NFL is willing to hold a Playoff game on MNF. Looking ahead to 2016, you'd have conference championships on 12/4-5, Army/Navy on 12/12, and then four straight weeks of playoffs to finish on 1/11/27. If you start any later you run into the NFL postseason.

Either college would have to fully start the week before Labor Day and the conference championships would need to be Thanksgiving week to have a five-week playoff, or you'd have to convince the NFL to give up a playoff MNF game. I don't see either happening.

Next year, the championship is going to be Monday the 20th. College is already extending into the NFL playoff.

Maybe in 2026, we get the college championship on the Saturday (as it should be) of pro bowl weekend. Only weekend that is going to be hard to get the NFL to share is wildcard weekend. Otherwise, they max out at 4 games and the 5 week playoff also maxes out at 4 games per weekend.

Superbowl 2027 is on Feb 14th. So 5 week college playoff could be 2 games on Dec 19th, 4 on the 1st, 4 on the 9th, 2 on the 23rd, and 1 on Feb 6th. That only shares 1 weekend with any NFL playoff games, needing to find 2 time slots vs the NFL's divisional round and those 4 games.

I bet they do something similar, anyway, if they go with a 4 week playoff, just skipping the game on the 9th or playing the semi's on the 9th and the championship on the 23rd or 30th.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm fairly certain they just invited the most prominent programs that didn't receive the death penalty. If Smu didn't get caught they would of joined up over ttu. Arkansas already left a few years earlier being the only program outside of Texas.

Neil Armbong posted:

Ann Richards was the governor and is the reason Baylor is in the Big 12. They were are total non-entity that should've been left behind.

The invite was up in the air. ESPN said we only want 4 from the SWC and effectively left it in the hands of the newly forming conference to decide who the 4 were.

TTU was in. They had legislative support in the form of the speaker of the house, the chair of the house appropriations committee, and the chair of the senate finance committee, but they didn't need it. They were always going to be in the Big XII once ESPN said 4 SWC schools.

Baylor, now Baylor was a political thing. Houston likely would have been in line as a public university, but UH was politically weak at the time. Baylor had more political power and enough benefits over TCU that they got the nod.

Great article: https://www.si.com/college/2016/08/16/big-12-expansion-oral-history-big-8-swc-merger

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Yeah to be honest I completely forgot about Baylor being in the swc. Even with their inclusion it's not like the formation of the big 12 depended on it. I'd still put my money on smu getting in over Baylor If they didn't get the death penalty.

Either way there isn't a single legislature that will prevent a team from moving conferences without the little brother.

Yeah, if SMU hadn't been under sanctions at the time, they likely would have been team #4. TTU still would have been team #3 as it sounds like size-of-crowd was a major factor in that time period. The other 4 schools hovered in the 20k range, while TTU was more aligned with the Big 8 with 40k+ average attendance.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Losing the Texas Tech vs Texas A&M rivalry was one of the worst outcomes of the early days of realignment. They had the same big brother mindset "oh it's not a rivalry" but it was 37-32-1 after our last game. There's legit hate there. Like I can party with UT grads... I can't stand 90% of A&M grads.

We're getting a basketball home & home after playing an exhibition match against them this season. I hope this thawing eventually leads to a regular football game vs the aggies.

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is how I feel. Like if you drop a big ooc game you're not out it at all. And with the big 2 confs getting stronger I bet conf losses for them don't hurt as much either. At least for at large bids.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, especially if ESPN or Fox dangles a bag in front of schools to get big games on the schedule.

I feel like conference losses will hurt more than you'd think. Big XII has the best basketball conference top to bottom, an absolutely brutal schedule. Teams were seeded low (#4 and #5, TTU & BYU, were on the dreaded 6 seed lines, taking on the hottest team in the nation and a team that already had a game to settle in, respectively), and bubble teams were passed over (in part thanks to 4 bid thieves).

Same record, the SEC or Big Ten will always get the nod. They might be in the same tier with 1 extra loss. An SEC team with 4 losses will be passed over by a Big XII or ACC team with 2 losses.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Radia posted:

we have like four months of being as insufferable as possible left, gotta make the most of it :cheers:

That's never stopped y'all before?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

If there's ever a "mega conference" system, it's inconceivable to me that it would be more than 40 teams.

~60 teams involved only because Vandy and Rutgers have a seat at the table, and there's no way to justify that without including the rest of the P4.

Breakaway super league, OTOH, trims the fat, so to speak, and you wind up with ~40 teams.

e: So this was a week ago already, but Tech coach Joey McGuire had some thoughts about the helmet communication rules. He is not a fan of the nfl-esque version they adopted.

- Because they limited it to 1 player on the field at a time, it makes management harder. Teams have to swap helmets when swapping player packages as well as gives more for the refs to pay attention to.
- Means that signals from the sideline, all the stupid images and grids and whatever else, are still going to be a thing. Which also means that sign stealing will still be a thing.

He was in favor of either the rule they played the bowl game with (3 players with communication, shut off during the play) or expanding that even further, putting a speaker into every helmet.

Personally, I still think they missed the best solution: the HUD that AT&T developed for the school for the deaf. Gets rid of signs and sign stealing while not being responsive enough to take away from the game. You can put that on literally every helmet, every player can get the call, but it's not responsive enough to use for in-play communication. Forget accessibility, it's the best general-purpose solution.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 24, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Justify it to who, God?

Viewers. Since we know this is all controlled by ESPN.

And God. Sure.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm pretty sure Texas Tech still uses the old double-T logo sometimes. It's on their class ring.

We do. Flat block double-T is hugely popular and the fanbase is split roughly in 3rds: flat block double-T, 3D double T, and all double-T's.

The remaining 1% or so favors a combo approach where the 3D double T is recolored to be different shades of red -or- the main portion is changed to be flat while the edges are 3D to give it a raised effect. I still see some images I made a decade ago pop back up when people talk about a combo version of the double-T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Isn’t modern realignment to B1G/SEC essentially going to come down to fanbase size? It is hard to see those two taking Miami. Feels more like the Big 12 would since they want any “brand name teams” they can get.

Yup.

I really don't think that the P2 are going to be able to break away from the B2 in any meaningful way... It may become a P2/B1, but there will always be an "everyone else" contingent to the top schools.

I think that the G5 just giving up and making their own playoff a-la FCS is a real possibility. The G5 coaches have been talking about the P4 leagues using them as recruiting grounds.