Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

facialimpediment posted:

RG3 did the needful

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1744546749123895737

... that does not sound like it's spelled, that i is not an a

RG3 is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

well arizona doesn't have much of a fanbase per se,

(sorry rick)

It's fine. It's at least true for football.

I can't be too mad at him if he takes the job, it's a better one and there's never going to be a way that Arizona competes the same as Washington from an NIL perspective. Although it sucks that it is going to happen before they could lock the big buyout in this offseason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is a really lovely way to phrase this. It's "not a priority" because the entire school is broke. Sorry paying the football coach was something they left to the end of the month when students may not be able to take classes and literally hundreds of people are going to lose their jobs. loving rear end in a top hat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

i remember rich rod having a couple good years there that intersected with the brady hoke implosion at michigan and people saying michigan made a mistake firing him lol
extremely dark times they were

He was generally really good with Arizona. He was fired for enabling sex pests not being bad at football coaching.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edna Mode posted:

All UW coaches will only be here two years from now on, except for our basketball coach who will be mediocre forever but we will never be able to fire.

Like honestly in Basketball given the type of players Washington usually recruits (oafs and good PGs) they're built to do well in the Big 10.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ninja Bob posted:

One loving good year and we lose the coach and (presumably) all the good players. Glad I didn't buy season tickets. I get it, it's a business, but that stings. I feel bad for all the players.

I've been maintaining a season ticket for the last three years even though I functionally cannot attend games in a covid world. I've kind of made the decision that even if I can somehow find gainful employment by the time the payment is due is to just finally let it go since neither the world or my health is going to magically change any time soon but I feel pretty bad about the timing of hopping off.

Qwijib0 posted:

The Arizona board of regents requires universities to keep 180 days of cash on hand, and as of December, the UA was short of that, with only ~90 days of cash on hand, a shortfall of 240M

About 90 of that was a loan to the athletics dept for the COVID years, a bunch was because of the insane purchase of the for profit online university that became UA Online, and the rest is distributed amongst other departments who have not realized projected philanthropic gifts.

This has been a convenient excuse to centralize IT, HR, and Finance, rather than it being per dept. If one were to put on the conspiracy goggles, this looks like a way to managerially restrict all the departments to make sure they know they answer to the Regents.

Anyway, the athletics dept is under no real risk, of it gets tough they'll ask Paul and Alice Baker to give another multimillion dollar gift

On the one hand the way that the UA handles(d?) IT was a bureaucratic nightmare. On the other hand though it mostly worked and I have a feeling when they centralize it, it's going to be a nightmare that actually causes problems other than being annoying. Like yeah there's theoretical overlap but like there are very few one-size-fits-all solutions to the needs of the various departments.

Also that online university thing was really a hell of a scam. When they announced it they said "oh it's a one dollar deal." I guess no one bothered to look at the rest of the cost.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

For what it's worth there weren't many dudes left other than those guys, they already lost the DC and his assistant to Texas before Fisch left (and the defense turnaround was arguably the biggest factor in Arizona's turnaround last year), plus several other coaches left for other jobs. The guys who are left are legacy guys that he probably didn't pick in the first place.

Fisch could easily characterize it as him hopping off a ship that was already pretty much sunk from a staffing perspective. Arizona failing away from athletics to me is the greater cause of this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

He was the first choice when they were hiring Fisch apparently.

I agree they probably should have tried to keep the players happy though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

Pissed about what

Players were vocally behind one of the guys who stayed behind being elevated.

Honestly that type of thing almost never happens especially not in P4.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I wonder if it will still have the Pac 12?

I hope there's full conference editing so I can recreate the current landscape and have like UC: Irvine and the Chaffey College join the Pac 2, building it to a new power and eventually winning the national title.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

http://twitter.com/UW_Football/status/1747754307137777689

Arizona WR coach to UW confirmed. It's still likely Fifita and Mcmillan stay but this has the possibility to change things.

From what I understand Coleman was gone even if Fisch stayed, so we don't truly know what the fallout is yet. But I guess we'll see.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I fully expect Arizona to make the playoffs this year. Their new coach got more out of SJSU than people will give him credit for.

I...respect you for still being able to have optimism about Arizona football...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

niumatolo wasn't hired to do that though, which is stupid

Yeah it's a real shame.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Does applewhite just have a bunch of residual goodwill from people despising Chris Simms?

I was listening to a podcast recorded between Fisch leaving and Brennan being fired and they had a reporter on who is big on his model and it apparently really liked Applewhite (wasn't his first choice but it was a name on the list).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This guy sucks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'm extremely not shocked. I guess at least the university president is running out of friends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The fact that Cristobal has gone as far as he has despite being a complete loving moron when it comes to game day decisions just reinforces the point that the most important things head coaches do happen outside of games.

The Arizona podcast I listen to, one of the hosts used to pretty consistently make fun of him. Somewhat of a hot take when Oregon was winning 4-10 more games a year than Arizona at the time but whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Being in the Whack rear end Big 12 and it not even saving Arizona from hurtling towards the Jr leagues is a double blow but what're you gonna do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I will say that Other schools may not be huge ratings movers relative to the SEC and Big 10, but they still generally get some of the best ratings anything gets on TV. It's the reason why there are like 20+ stations that show at least one college football game on a Saturday. The Pac-12 had to pretty much commit suicide by passing up what was a pretty good deal trying to chase a bigger one to not get paid, I'm not totally sure it's indicative of this being the end of things the more I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

Does the LA Media even bother covering UCLA?

There is this thing where all the LA sports, where the expectations for quality and quantity of coverage of the local sports all increased exponentially and you could basically always find somewhere on cable or the radio covering it 24/7. But somehow it all passed UCLA by and it's just a few sentences on the local news or a couple paragraphs in the local papers. At least that is how it was circa 2019 which is the last time I spent significant time there.