Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

facialimpediment posted:

My #1 candidate for that position was Saban, but he's annoyed at basically everything changing and loving up his recruiting strategies. Harbaugh might just be in the unique position of having viewpoints from everywhere - college player, pro player, poo poo-tier college coach, academic-high college coach, NFL coach, megapower college coach.

You forgot high school experience (lecturing the kids at the famous Bayside High School) and legal expertise (from apprenticing with Judge Judy).

He’s not just a Michigan Man, he’s a goddamn renaissance man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Hey can I say something? lol

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

post hole digger posted:

the maroons havent been in the big 10 for years my friend

and it makes me very sad. all we had was insanely difficult academics and all we did for fun was talk about Thucycides and Bohr's constant

Chicago owns and I love it and almost went back there but then I discovered San Francisco.

predicto fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 13, 2024

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah, this. I'm still mixed on Sark until I see consistent evidence of improvement, and a single season's worth of games where we only broke the 40-point mark twice isn't quite enough to convince me.

I still think the training staff needs a revamp.

lol you guys are worse than Ohio State fans. You went 12-1, beat Alabama, won the conference, and went to the playoff and almost made it to the natty. JFC

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Goddamn just look at that beautiful Law Quadrangle it almost takes your breath away

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Enrollment increased 50% during Saban's run, most of that from out of state. Success brings more money to the city and the university, which makes the numbers go up. I don't understand the lol here.

That mostly happened because Alabama began giving free tuition to out of state students with high SAT or ACT scores.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Sash! posted:

The school I got my Masters is one of those schools that people split into "before the time we made the Final Four" and "after the time we made the Final Four." Went from a commuter school to a regular university with dorms and everything in like five years.

If you are talking George Mason, there is also a huge amount of money from far-right billionaires and foundations financing that growth.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

swickles posted:

Show me a school with prisitine funding, please.

Nobody has pristine funding. George Mason’s funding is particularly notable, especially for a public university. The economics department and the law school are directly financed by right wing billionaires (which is why it’s the only US university that pretends that The Austrian school is real economics). The Koch brothers alone donated over 100 million. And in return they got professors and curriculum changes.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/conservative-string-attached-to-50-million-gift-to-george-mason-university/131962/

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That's not at all unique to Alabama. I'm sure every university with SAT/ACT scholarships has done a financial breakdown and sets the requirements so they're not losing much. I bet there's a large portion of students that get their first year of classes (maybe the least expensive to teach) for free, fall below the required GPA, and then pay full out of state tuition for three more years. The choice whether to stay depends on how much they enjoyed their time on campus and what they expect in the future. Retaining those students is where winning football seasons, and the related events and comradery, pays off.

Yes, but Alabama was different. Out of state students with a 30 ACT or 1350 SAT get a full tuition free ride for 4 years (this was a few years back, the numbers may have changed). Other out of state students with scores below that got a big cut in tuition. It was by far the most generous out of state scholarship program in the county, hands down, no question.

I’m not saying having Nick Saban didn’t help, but that money probably made more of a difference.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

They would have never made that move if Saban wasn't there though.

What makes you say that? genuine question

I’m cutting and pasting something from Reddit that is consistent with my understanding of it,

“ What happens is they give out scholarships to well performing upper-middle class high school students who probably would never get financial aid. This kid tells his friends that he’s going to bama. Maybe it opens their eyes to Bama as a possibility they had not yet considered. Maybe they planned to go to the same school to keep being besties together in college. Or maybe it contributes to a narrative that Bama gives out a LOT of scholarships and that makes it to the news or websites like “top 10 lists of colleges that give out lots of scholarships” and those pull in more applications.

Regardless, this leads to more out-of-state students paying out-of-state tuition which is a fuckin poo poo load more expensive than in-state. It only takes one other person from another state to make the scholarship to another student worth it.

This is the story told by my Econ professor. Maybe there are other contributing factors as others have said here, but according to my professor who’s friend used to write these scholarships it’s just a whole rear end strategy to get people to pay out-of-state fees. My professor’s friend apparently said that he felt horrible doing it because it ended up being that Bama didn’t give out nearly enough need-based aid.

See most of the scholarships don’t go to poor kids whose parents would never be able to afford the cost of college. Most of the kids who get this scholarship have parents who would be able to financially support their kids. Most people I knew on scholarship had decently stable families who sent them plenty of spending cash. It’s because it’s those decently stable families who have friends in other decently stable families who can pay the out-of-state fees.”

I’m pretty sure that Saban wasn’t the key to that calculation.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Sorry to get all effort post “acksully…” in this thread about footbaw.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

GD_American posted:

The University of Chicago, while having a few differences in the beliefs its economics school pushes, is very Austrian-friendly.

Nah, Those differences are huge. A hundred years ago Hayek had something useful to say, but Modern Austrian “economics” is really just economics cosplay. They decided what they believe philosophically (rich people good, all regulation bad, return to the gold standard and close the Fed) and refuse to test those extreme libertarian beliefs using any historic results or mathematic models. It’s akin to religious belief. It’s Ron Paul.

The Chicago boys and every other actual modern economic school disagree on lots of things and some schools are more conservative than others, but all of them rightfully mock the fake Austrian “scholarship,”.

That’s why the billionaires had had to buy the George Mason economics department, so they would have someplace they could set up their fake think tanks (the Mises institute) and stow their fake professors.

predicto fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 18, 2024

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

everyone is entering the transfer portal

are they all going to go to Florida State together or something?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

you guys are all sleeping on Michigan next year

they very well could be a .500 or below team given their graduation and portal losses, coaching uncertainty, and lack of recruiting

and maybe NCAA sanctions lol

And I'll be fine with that because Natty, baby, but I really don't think Texas has much to worry about in Week 2

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s not a house flip, nobody is going to give you a higher pick for a guy who has been sitting on the bench for 3 years.

Laughs in Jimmy Garrapolo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Warbird posted:

welcome to hell fukkbois

Oh no now we’re going to lose all our 5 star recruits

Oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Gonz posted:

Somebody call me a plumber….. to help with all this DRIP.

:perfect: