Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I hereby allow Texas to be Back Baby for their first ever season in the Southeastern Conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Enjoy your natty. You shall not see another for as long as Texas is Back Baby.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now that it's the offseason, I have juicy funny marching band gossip to share and just waiting for a break in the convo to post it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

OH poo poo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

OH poo poo

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nick Say-byebye

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

me rn

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

trevorreznik posted:

Harbaugh to Bama you heard it here first

That, or Petersen. Maybe Sark, unless Texas backs a fresh money truck up to his house after this season; he coached under Saban so he feels like a natural backup pick.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guess I won't be posting that band gossip for another few weeks now.

I just told my dad that Saban was retiring and his exact unironic reply was "Who is Nick Saban?". My dad...... is not a sports person. :ughh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sash! posted:

I feel as if a great cloud were lifted, except for Alabama who is plunging into 30 years of darkness

good

pillsburysoldier posted:

Its time for Saban to oust tubberville in the senate and turn bama blue

I hope this happens

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kirios posted:

Man Alabama's gonna massively regress - hell yeah.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

change the thread title. we are witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime event here

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gonz posted:

Mr. Saban Goes To The Villages

Canned Sunshine posted:

Mr. Harbaugh Goes to Saban’s Retirement Party [in Washington]

2024 NCAA Offseason Thread: Mr. Saban Goes to Nursinghome

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It honestly wouldn't shock me if Bama makes a pass at Sark, given how Saban endorsed him in the Coaches Poll a couple seasons ago.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DC Murderverse posted:

Lanning is the least funny option because I don’t think he’d succeed enough for Bama fans and it would hamstring Oregon for a few years, neither of which are particularly funny or interesting outcomes

Excuse you but any outcome that makes Bama bad, or even just okay, is a funny and interesting outcome.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bama will go after Sark, and then Texas will go after Kirby.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Deion at Bama sounds like a recipe for a hilarious scandal

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Raku posted:

Isn't he a known domestic abuser? And not just in the sense that the offensive line at Colorado was child abuse.

Before I found out about that I was a huge fan of the deion idea

He allegedly strangled several people at a high school job, yeah.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is the best day ever.

My volume is muted but I assume this is a drunk guy reacting to news that Saban is retiring?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm the old redneck in the woods drunk off his rear end wearing long jeans and no shoes or socks, crying that my magic football wizard is going away forever

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermos H Christ posted:

I am displeased that LSU hired Bo Davis away after he turned our DL into the strength of the team. I hope it wasn’t because he knows something about Sark being the successor at Bama.

I don’t know that I’m a Sark true believer at this point but I hope he doesn’t get poached and leave us looking for a coach all the sudden in January.

Realistically, who does Texas go after if Sark leaves? I would think Kirby or possibly Harbaugh would be the first names on the list, but what's the real answer?

(please don't say Deion)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

dirty shrimp money posted:

Speaking of Auburn, think they’re singing Yub Nub in Auburn, Alabama right now?

I would LOVE to know what the scene is like in Auburn right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It is taking a monumental effort to pull myself away from this to go to the gym right now. Any chance of me doing anything else productive today like practicing my horn went out the window as soon as this news dropped.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

"some fans"

I feel like that whole entire school should be crowding around that fuckin tree right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

C. Everett Koop posted:

buddy i've practiced my horn to this news twice and might practice it twice more before the day is over

I don't think you and me are talking about the same kind of horn

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I didn't know Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was even involved in coaching.

:lmao: how in the gently caress does Derek Dooley have higher odds than Sark? Does Bama not remember the Derek Doolander Center For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How many schools has Kiffin coached at in the last 15 years?

Or maybe I should say "How many times has Kiffin changed jobs?" since he's coached at Tennessee twice in that timespan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sash! posted:

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

I don't have a link to a study with hard numbers, but something like 5 out of 6 seniors who suffer major fractures or broken bones die with a year of it happening, from resulting complications that are basically unpreventable. This is also why I'm amazed Mitch McConnell made it past Christmas after his rib fracture last March, and why there's still a fairly good chance he may not make it past THIS March.

EDIT: I only bring that up because you said Paterno broke his pelvis. Did the break or complications thereof contribute to his death at all?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 11, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Adun posted:

Surely Bama already has their guy. Why would Saban just gently caress off without making sure Bama has a replacement lined up

Standard protocol at most institutions with even a shred of professionalism is to wait until after news of someone's departure goes public before even thinking about looking for their replacement. And a lot of places go a step further and hire an independent search firm to help them find and pick the replacement, which adds time to the process.

I don't know if Bama is doing that second part, but I highly doubt they gave any serious thought to Saban's replacement before today, beyond maybe scribbling some names on a scrap of paper in a desk drawer just in case.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Spacebump posted:

I think he’ll stay. Nobody should be surprised by Ewers staying. Wasn’t it heavily hinted at before the playoffs?

Yeah Ewers was pretty much confirmed to be sticking around before the playoffs, and reports indicated that Arch Manning was fine with it and possibly expected it from the start.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That guy on the right is just begging to be photoshopped as the MSPaint goon hovering over the restroom stall.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doronin posted:

My personal thoughts on Nick Saban is that I'm super grateful I got to experience that run from so many angles. As a grad student, employee, and then nine-years on the recruiting side. I really thought we had at least 1-2 more years with Saban, but I totally understand why he chose now. Hell yeah, what a bad rear end tenure.

That said, here's a summary of the more credible tidbits I've picked up since 4 pm CST yesterday...

- His own health was a concern, but it's more than a rumor about Mrs. Terry. Her health was a bigger factor.
- Yeah, the beach palace he bought in Jupiter, Fla. was part of the exit plan.
- Alabama AD Greg Byrne was on a plane well before the announcement in the day, thought they purposely didn't use N1UA (university plane) to conceal where he was going. Only info that was left behind was "going to see a head coach and DC, probably as a package deal."
- An interesting thing I noticed is that administrators within Tide athletics were not surprised. Just hopeful he'd give it one more season, but not surprised. The media who covers UA daily though? Shocked. They had no idea this might happen.

I guess we'll see once it's done. Although I will admit, watching this process unfold was so wild and dramatic in 2006. Fake news reports, people claiming Steve Spurrier was taking over. Bama actually agreed to terms with Rich Rodriguez but Paul Finebaum talked poo poo about his wife on air and they reneged on the deal. Ah, the good ol' days.

Sounds like Saban disclosed his plans to the AD in private awhile ago so they could prep for a smooth transition, and they kept it under wraps until after the season was over.

drat, that must've been a hard piece of news to keep quiet about.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would Bama hiring Deion be funny or not?

I kinda don't want good things to happen to the guy who manually strangled several people at a previous job, plus Bama seems like a school that would succeed at covering up an abuse story.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh god it's happening.

https://twitter.com/tamperingtide/status/1745544582245310662?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA
https://twitter.com/heartland_cs/status/1745544083618066551?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA

... or maybe not? Several people are claiming both Sark and DeBoer have already turned down the job.
https://twitter.com/thorne_heisman/status/1745542375655502158?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm assuming Billy Napier is number six on that list based on the other one from yesterday.

Let's be honest, we all know Coach Prime is somewhere in the top 10.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whoever Bama hires, I hope it's hilarious and ends in humiliating failure

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Starting to look like it'll either be DeBoer or Kiffin at Bama. Or a very funny Option 3.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whoever said this about Franklin deserves a fuckin Peabody

quote:

JAMES FRANKLIN, PENN STATE: 3.4

[...]

“The Luby’s for lunch choice. The 2017 Honda Accord. The taking a first date to Avatar 2 and giving her a chaste kiss at her doorstep to say goodbye at 9:30 pm.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tonight we dine on (Maryland) turtle soup!