Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Defense wins Championships

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

it's like all the former legislators that decry the corruption and toxicity of congress but only after they've lost re-election or retire and can say whatever without pissing off their coworkers.

...but then again he is a goober and has said similar stuff before. I'm biased but I can see him being oblivious and/or indifferent to how this would piss off the NCAA more and put a spotlight on the program to the point where they might discover more ill-gotten burgers!

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

so much good food here and they show Eminem's joke restaurant.

e: wrong thread

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I have stupid homer-hope that Harbs will stay at Michigan for the complete control of the program he gets and ability to develop players and just be a general weirdo which he loves, but I'm realistic that it's at best a 50/50 shot he stays. Also, who cares, we got that natty and embarrassed Ohio three times along the way. I just hope we keep Moore (ideally as HC) and Minter.

It feels like four goddamn months since the CFP game but after just one week it still feels great. To be. A Michigan Wolverine. Plus Rod Moore and the Don both coming back is awesome.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Can't find a good article on it but just about every game the commenters mentioned how many starters on Michigan's D averaged less than 30 snaps per game because of the depth and rotating players to keep them fresh.

But extrapolating that to say the backups are better than other teams starters is a stretch. The depth is still there (for now) and as long as Moore stays it shouldn't be a total collapse. As was said before we got that natty so who cares, I'm fine with a dozen 7-10 win seasons after this.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

It's loving everywhere and you can't watch any kind of sports without getting in-game advertisements with real-time odds, I swear one of the ads said "the only thing more exciting than watching your team win is to win big yourself!" or some poo poo. loving sick, ban television advertising for gambling just like tobacco (drop in the bucket but at least make a token effort to separate the sport from the gambling)

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

someone make a "Michigan Manifested!" championship shirt, or something like "We Saw the Signs". Lean into it, I want to see Connor's plan continue unabated.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

NCAA: *hands out a non-punishment for a huge, embarrassing cheating scandle*

Michigan fans: This is the literal holocaust and the NCAA should be dissolved.

NCAA President: Michigan won the championship.

Michigan fans: See? Fair and square.

:mmmsmug:

tribute to our weird-rear end former coach :patriot: Favorite part was his "The chicken is a nervous bird" comment, and his foul redemption story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akksjj1AaMQ

wait no best quote was "if worms had machine guns then birds wouldn't be scared of them". Make the Chargers weird man, get your ring and give John a big nuggie next Thanksgiving.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

won natty, so what.

I saw RichRod and Hoke games in person, and Lions fans have known far worse pain. SE Michigan will be fine (sports-wise. Still a nightmare in regards to transportation, the economy, political strife, climate, etc.)

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah Michigan will basically be Immortan Joe in the coming Water Wars I guess. Time to build that wall around the Great Lakes Watershed and form a breakaway nation with the cooler parts of Wisconsin and Canada.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who do you think should run it?

Give every student government at every FBS school complete control over their athletic department and elect a board of undergrads from non-FBS schools to set the rules from the top (checks and balances). Let each school government hire ADs and set budgets and guidelines (you can keep your weird religious rules BYU and Notre Dame). Elected students will have voting power like board members but will not be entitled to any compensation beyond scholarships like athletes and a part-time salary for the extra board work (and no NIL for the nerds, that would be a campaign finance violation). Old conferences and rivalries will return if the student body wills it with no concern for television rights (because these will all go to their local PBS affiliate / campus radio station)

This will probably result in late 19th century football level of anarchy and noncompetitive matchups with multiple claims for the natty at best and the forced nationalization of the sport at worst to be administered by the department of education or whoever is in charge of hounding you for student loans. Still, can't be worse than the NCAA.

e: VVV :sickos:

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 1, 2024

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

New federal legislation that requires all athletic revenue received by land-grant institutions be split evenly among them all just to mix things up.

they need their own tournament. If only there was a trophy available...

https://twitter.com/LandGrantTrophy/status/1596248769456377856

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Radia posted:

when i was at Michigan a few of the students from other countries mentioned they were being sponsored by companies in a similar structure. i dont think it's unheard of

Same, a lot of them require minimum GPAs and other stuff too. With out-of-state tuition these days it's probably better than dealing with a half mil in student loans.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

goddamn Harbs really broke Ohio's brains/checkbooks. I'm really looking forward to the next few meetings of the chess match that is The Game (spoiler: gonna involve dozens of pawn attacks off tackle to establish the center of the board / the run).

(I know nothing about Kelly as a playcaller/recruiter/whatever other than reflexively opposing anyone associated with Notre Dame so this fits right into my preconceived notions).

e: I really don't know anything and Brians and Chips

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2024

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

The whole New College baseball thing is just insane, if you got a spare hour here's a good video on how it happened and what it means for the students and players who got recruiting under probably false pretenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNPY0pnQ2E

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

A school that never had competitive NCAA sports now has a baseball team with over 2 times the roster of any college or MLB team...but still no baseball field. Kinda weird.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Radia posted:

mexicantown kicks rear end

:hmmyes:

one of the perks of working downriver a lot is being close to mexicantown and Dearborn, so there's always good Mexican and Middle Eastern food for lunch.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

soggybagel posted:

The Big Ten absolutely ruined college hockey for me.

we used to be happy in the CCHA then realignment or whatever happened and hosed everything up.

And gently caress you Notre Dame for being B1G for Hockey cause that's better than ACC, but ACC for everything else (except football) for convenience.

Actually just gently caress you Notre Dame, glad we bounced your rear end from the Big Ten hockey tournament.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

don't bring facts and reason into this!

...I'm just bitter we lost the old CCHA/Great Lakes Hockey Avengers. It was local and cool.

anyway we should probably talk about football. Looks like Michigan hired Ohio's RB coach, neat.

...gently caress Notre Dame.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

OTA broadcast supremacy. Silver lining of the PAC2 will be finally being able to watch the Cougs and Beavers, in HD, for free.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Gonz posted:

*is sad that there’s not football for months*

Huh. I wonder what Michigan hockey is up to?

Get rekt, Sparty. Now and forever across all sports.

Imagine the confidence to do a between your legs backwards pass for the one-timer. One hell of a heat check 12 seconds after the last goal.

One of the prettiest plays since The Michigan

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t watch hockey but that North Dakota kid obliterating himself on the boards trying to hit a Michigan player as time expired is one of the funniest sports things I’ve ever seen.

wait i didn't see that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ot57GYzZw&t=530s

lol

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

It's that time of year again:

https://edsbscharitybowl.com

Fellow Michigan fans; there will always be time to buy more merch, but only until Friday to donate and be smug about helping refugee families winning yet another collegiate contest fueled by cold hard cash and the largest alumni population in the country*
*a quick search says Penn State passed them recently but just like Franklin's wins nobody really cares so we'll ignore that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Gotta wonder how much blood is in that alumni stone and if putting your hand out for NIL will distract from other donations. Michigan football is already charging about $100/ticket after ticket and seat licensing fees, or $10 million gate fee for every home game, plus their dozen other revenue streams. And now you need to pay extra to even get printed tickets, which is a huge gently caress you cause those are perfect souvenirs and way better than a screenshot on your phone or an 8 1/2 x 11 printed QR code.

But worst of all it makes it harder for my dad and I to scalp our way into games cause everyone has that poo poo on their phone now. Sometimes we'd wait until after kickoff to get the real cheap tickets when people are just trying to unload them but those tickets might not even be there cause it's way easier to give your ticket to a friend to sell than trust boomers with that e-ticket poo poo. Lots of great memories of finding a pair for $5 (or free) and meeting people that just want to be sure that we're going into the game and not re-selling them, and then you end up sitting with them and make new friends.

poo poo sucks. Never had the funds to donate anything to the (most expensive public) school I already paid for and likely never will. Doesn't matter cause we got enough rear end in a top hat billionaire alumni to make up for it.

You can walk on my lawn but if you're driving slow the gently caress down! There's blind driveways all over this street!