Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

in reading more on this and dipping into the comments section I realize I've never had any real exposure to any sort of Orthodox Jewish community so it's kind of startling to see everyone talking about the coming of the Mashiach in the exact same way the snake handling nutjobs from my youth talked about the second coming. like right down to the same exact pat phrases to burnish whatever dumb point you're trying to fumble around only with a different way to spell messiah. America makes evangelicals of us all, I guess

Nah, from reading accounts of religious Jewish communities, it has been bad for awhile when they were in Europe. Hasidim started in Central and Eastern Europe, as a reaction to nationalism since the 19th c. A lot of Jewish people escaped those communities to be secular because it was abusive, backwards and stifling. I wouldn't just say it's Hasidim too since Sephardic communities were just as bad in the Netherlands according to autobiographical book on Spinoza (who ofc left the community and criticized Judaism)
Calvinist Protestants did have their own hosed up community in Europe too so it's all poo poo from there that has taken root in the US because of "religious freedoms" to create your own little cults. Reactionaries love the US!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes rock

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I recommend the giant doorstopper Hasidism: A New History for a survey of the views of different Hasidic sects. The later chapters discuss how the US made for fertile ground for the postwar revival of Hasidism despite the US's having historically been viewed as the treyf medina (unkosher land) by Hasidim. Chabad's messianism is not the norm among other Hasidim (and it's also controversial within Chabad, but a large faction still take the messianic view), however.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
building a bodega in the tunnel

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Idia posted:

Nah, from reading accounts of religious Jewish communities, it has been bad for awhile when they were in Europe. Hasidim started in Central and Eastern Europe, as a reaction to nationalism since the 19th c. A lot of Jewish people escaped those communities to be secular because it was abusive, backwards and stifling. I wouldn't just say it's Hasidim too since Sephardic communities were just as bad in the Netherlands according to autobiographical book on Spinoza (who ofc left the community and criticized Judaism)
Calvinist Protestants did have their own hosed up community in Europe too so it's all poo poo from there that has taken root in the US because of "religious freedoms" to create your own little cults. Reactionaries love the US!

oh I don't doubt it's been a thing forever, I'm just taken aback by how much these guys in particular sound like evangelicals when invoking the messiah, down to like the exact same formulations of "this [hyperlocal event/culture war thing I'm obsessed with/minor inconvenience] is incontrovertible proof of the turbulent times that herald the (second) coming"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
TUNNELS IN NYC? HOW ODD

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

oh I don't doubt it's been a thing forever, I'm just taken aback by how much these guys in particular sound like evangelicals when invoking the messiah, down to like the exact same formulations of "this [hyperlocal event/culture war thing I'm obsessed with/minor inconvenience] is incontrovertible proof of the turbulent times that herald the (second) coming"

They're also literal evangelicals in the sense that they evangelize - unlike any other Hasidic movement, their whole thing is trying to get irreligious ethnic Jews to engage in religious observance.

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1744723929145717055?t=lajOiJl-YUWell-npseN3g&s=19

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the hasids are making doom maps lmfao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

myschul.wad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the hasids are making doom maps lmfao

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the streets of new york are so old and hoary that they dont even have maps of where all the pipes and utilities are so digging up a street becomes a bit of an archeological project. chabad guys could have hit a random pipe that had been filling for the last 120 years with fart gas and blown up half the block

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

in reality it's going to look like a dungeon from daggerfall

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bro Dad posted:

they're trying to find rabbi schneerson

the rabbi s'not'there'son

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I feel slightly Antisemitic even just saying the name Rabbi Schmuley

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
I still can't get over that one hasidic guy who popped out of the ground like it was minecraft and ran off lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

my_custom_username posted:

I still can't get over that one hasidic guy who popped out of the ground like it was minecraft and ran off lmfao

can u show us this video

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the account deleted all the tweets

https://x.com/FrumTikTok/status/1744802985346027867?s=20

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

In a statement, Jonathan Greenblatt, the director of the Anti-Defamation League, which fights antisemitism worldwide, tells Rolling Stone he finds the spread of such posts, which echo centuries-old antisemitic conspiracy theories, incredibly concerning. “It’s deeply troubling that anyone would use this incident, which the Chabad movement at large has strongly condemned, to draw inappropriate and false comparisons to Hamas tunnels in Gaza

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better
lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Ultra Carp

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Smythe posted:

can u show us this video

the original got deleted so here's the closest thing i could find that wasn't some pizzagate account or hitler poo poo

https://twitter.com/LaszloParker/status/1744760784872206419?t=oTyiS8qspFpKpiqiTEdZGw&s=19

my_custom_username fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Bro Dad posted:

"It’s deeply troubling that anyone would use this incident, which the Chabad movement at large has strongly condemned, to draw inappropriate and false comparisons to Hamas tunnels in Gaza

lol