Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
it's insane. no idea what could possibly be going on but apparently it was discovered a few weeks ago. Not sure if the video is from then or this only happened when they got guys in there to shut everything down. The tunnel itself is at least a third of a mile long apparently? loving crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
in reading more on this and dipping into the comments section I realize I've never had any real exposure to any sort of Orthodox Jewish community so it's kind of startling to see everyone talking about the coming of the Mashiach in the exact same way the snake handling nutjobs from my youth talked about the second coming. like right down to the same exact pat phrases to burnish whatever dumb point you're trying to fumble around only with a different way to spell messiah. America makes evangelicals of us all, I guess

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Hatebag posted:

tunnel snakes shul

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Idia posted:

Nah, from reading accounts of religious Jewish communities, it has been bad for awhile when they were in Europe. Hasidim started in Central and Eastern Europe, as a reaction to nationalism since the 19th c. A lot of Jewish people escaped those communities to be secular because it was abusive, backwards and stifling. I wouldn't just say it's Hasidim too since Sephardic communities were just as bad in the Netherlands according to autobiographical book on Spinoza (who ofc left the community and criticized Judaism)
Calvinist Protestants did have their own hosed up community in Europe too so it's all poo poo from there that has taken root in the US because of "religious freedoms" to create your own little cults. Reactionaries love the US!

oh I don't doubt it's been a thing forever, I'm just taken aback by how much these guys in particular sound like evangelicals when invoking the messiah, down to like the exact same formulations of "this [hyperlocal event/culture war thing I'm obsessed with/minor inconvenience] is incontrovertible proof of the turbulent times that herald the (second) coming"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it is time to goldmine