Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Similarly, gigantic galaxy superclusters don't really affect us in our day to day, since they are far enough away.
Technically, they do, but it's meaningless.

But it gets more complicated if you consider that gravitons can only move with lightspeed. So the earth doesn't rotate around the sun, but around the place the sun was 8 minutes earlier. That detail can also be completely disregarded on those scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Similarly, gigantic galaxy superclusters don't really affect us in our day to day, since they are far enough away.
Technically, they do, but it's meaningless.

But it gets more complicated if you consider that gravitons can only move with lightspeed. So the earth doesn't rotate around the sun, but around the place the sun was 8 minutes earlier. That detail can also be completely disregarded on those scales.

Gravitons are a proposed particle in some theories but there's no evidence of their existence afaik. But gravity does "travel" at the speed of light.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The space time curve is already there, though? I was under the impression it was the curve that determines the movement of the earth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Collateral posted:

The space time curve is already there, though? I was under the impression it was the curve that determines the movement of the earth.

Yeah that's the prevailing theory of gravity. Other theories may have gravity as a force carrying particle instead.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I find dynamical systems (and the associated chaos) fascinating. In the end only brute force iterative solutions come close to modelling n body. Without knowing all the interacting factors (which we dont) the best we can do is a best fit. Kind of like predicting the weather.

The star system of the San-Ti would never have produced its own planets, so I guess their homeworld must have been a captured stellar wanderer?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Collateral posted:

Well... if we imagine the sun suddenly vanishing, that would obviously change the curvature of space-time. But that change would only reach us 8 minutes later. Until that happened, the earth would keep circling the now vanished sun.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah, otherwise you could make ftl communication via gravity waves. Which would be badass as heck, but unfortunately not possible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Collateral posted:

Caveat I'm not a physicist, so I may be wrong on the specifics here.

The very brief explanation is that there are two currently "incompatible" theories of how things work. There's general relativity (GR) which can be used to describe systems at very large scales like planets and galaxies. This is the framework where gravity is due to curved space-time comes from.

Then there's quantum mechanics which is actually how things work as we understand it, which is that everything is "the wave function" (with different interpretations on what this actually means, which is far above the scope of what I can explain). Quantum mechanics requires that forces be mediated by a force carrier. Light, part of the electromagnetic field, is mediated by the photon for example. The graviton is a/the proposed mediator of gravity but this has thus far never been observed.

E: incompatible is in quotes because the existence of one does not negate the existence of the other.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 22, 2024

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is why i embrace hardcore Instrumentalism/scientific anti-realism, which holds that scientific theories are just models that we can use to predict the natural world, and that science makes no statements about what actually exists. Is it a particle? Is it a wave? Doesn't matter, it's all made up.

This is less of a philosophical position, and more that it freaks me the gently caress out to think about wave/particle duality and quarks and bosons, so I like to pretend none of it is real.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is less of a philosophical position, and more that it freaks me the gently caress out to think about wave/particle duality and quarks and bosons, so I like to pretend none of it is real.

But they are real my friend.

In fact, they are right... BEHIND YOU!

Oh no, they're under your skin and in your eyes now. they're in your blood and made their way to your brain!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 22, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I ever see one of these so-called quarks I shall stab it right through the heart with my blade

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

But they are real my friend.

In fact, they are right... BEHIND YOU!

Oh no, they're under your skin and in your eyes now. they're in your blood and made their way to your brain!

Kids these days are all about saying neutrino, when they should be saying NOtrino.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

uXs posted:

Apparently yeah, if the bodies are too small they can be disregarded. Like if you have a planet and its small moon, it behaves (close enough) as just one body.

At least that's what I got from this video with Neil deGrasse Tyson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfIDwwxfsM

Most of engineering is looking at a complex equation and removing 3/4 of it because it's so small it will have no discernable effect on the result.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Three Body (the Chinese version show) is on Amazon Prime now

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They don't get into it in the show, but yeah, the San-ti do eventually get to the point where they can accurately predict chaotic and stable eras. But then they discover another problem, which is that their planet is eventually going to spiral into one of the suns.

There's another thing that they don't mention in the show that is also kind of important. The giant human computer actually worked - mainly because the San-ti have dozens of limbs and can do complex calculations in their heads quickly - but it failed to account for general relativity.

Wasnt the computer thing because the santi communicated with brainwaves or something?
Also the reason they couldn’t lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I think it's because they are mirrored and can use light to communicate with each other.