Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vampire Panties posted:

However, unless they were prodigies like Ramanajun, the wallfacers would be at a serious disadvantage compared to most humans.

To be fair, the people they picked are absolutely supposed to be that. I remember in the books The Venezuelan guy, (who is now the Indian woman, I guess) was a complete prodigy at guerilla warfare, beating back insurmountable opponents.
Protagonist guy is the odd one out. The Threesuns made that pick for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be fair, the people they picked are absolutely supposed to be that. I remember in the books The Venezuelan guy, (who is now the Indian woman, I guess) was a complete prodigy at guerilla warfare, beating back insurmountable opponents.
Protagonist guy is the odd one out. The Threesuns made that pick for them.

Fidel Castro Manuel Rey Diaz also winds up being the closest to the solution that brings about the Deterrence Era that Luo Ji finally implements (although it's really dumb and unbelievable that Luo Ji could have pulled off the setup right under the aliens' noses.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It don't make sense in the book either

This is the big problem for D&D - as popular and seemingly beloved as the books are a lot of stuff doesn't make sense.

Your post here perfectly encapsulated what I didn't like about the books and D&D would have to fundamentally alter the story to make it work:

PostNouveau posted:

Mainly, it's like a 10-year-old wrote it.

I don't know poo poo about physics so you can tell me all kinds of nonsense about getting up to 1% light speed or whatever, but if you say "And then a week later the whole world universally agreed 3 people can do anything they want with unlimited resources," well, I know that's dumb.

It's authorial fiat on the level of, like, a kid drawing a tank that has lasers and can fly.

I was legitimately shocked when I saw how old the author was I assumed he was in his 20s or something when he wrote and it was his first work. Nope!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I had thought the point of the wallfacers was to induce the San ti into thinking the were super important and that they never reveal what it is that they are doing. Which would be nothing. But the San ti don't know that. It should drive them wild, and suck up the attention of the sophons.

This isn't the case?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

I had thought the point of the wallfacers was to induce the San ti into thinking the were super important and that they never reveal what it is that they are doing. Which would be nothing. But the San ti don't know that. It should drive them wild, and suck up the attention of the sophons.

This isn't the case?

No, all the Wallfacers cook up elaborate plans that require huge investments of resources and eventually fail, some of them due to being revealed by the "Wallbreakers" assigned by the ETO whose jobs are to figure out what each Wallfacer is doing.

Each failed plan reveals some new aspect of strategic thought that are theoretical solutions to the problem of aliens coming to kill you in 400 years, and Luo Ji (Saul) eventually implements a plan that very closely resembles one of the failed plans. Although one of the other plans starts a chain of events that result in kind of a loose end in the whole series that you could read as a qualified success based on what happens in the very very end.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 1, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I’m still laughing about the main character being a nanofiber guy and the whole operation revolved around that

SPY BOSS: The leader of the bad guys has hidden his top secret plan to blow up the world inside his shoe. The shoe is rigged to self destruct if the stitches are ripped in the wrong way

(Spy Boss turns to the greatest shoe cobbler in the world, who is also the main character)

Are you… complaining that the main character has something to do with the central plot? Are you under the impression that all fiction up to this point has just been very fortunate that when they randomly selected a main character from their universe, it just so happened to be someone relevant to the story they were hoping to tell?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

Are you… complaining that the main character has something to do with the central plot? Are you under the impression that all fiction up to this point has just been very fortunate that when they randomly selected a main character from their universe, it just so happened to be someone relevant to the story they were hoping to tell?

Can you believe the Joker just happens to want to talk to Batman after taking these hostages? I mean, out of alllllllllll the people in Gotham, we're supposed to believe that the ONLY OTHER CHARACTER that this comic has been following is the character the Joker wants to negotiate with?!?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Tarnop posted:

I always kind of assumed that this worked in a similar way to making Saul a Wallfacer. If the aliens want Auggie dead then people making plans against the aliens will be biased towards plans that use tech she's working on because it must be dangerous to the aliens' plans, because they want her dead

The aliens have limited prescience because they float in a cloud of psychoactive drugs. They detected a vertex around Paul Saul, but didn't know exactly why.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

No, all the Wallfacers cook up elaborate plans that require huge investments of resources and eventually fail, some of them due to being revealed by the "Wallbreakers" assigned by the ETO whose jobs are to figure out what each Wallfacer is doing.

Each failed plan reveals some new aspect of strategic thought that are theoretical solutions to the problem of aliens coming to kill you in 400 years, and Luo Ji (Saul) eventually implements a plan that very closely resembles one of the failed plans. Although one of the other plans starts a chain of events that result in kind of a loose end in the whole series that you could read as a qualified success based on what happens in the very very end.

Humpf I thought they were being clever. Disappointing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's a bit meta, sorry.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

the nanofiber attack seemed like spectacle for the sake of spectacle. we need to retrieve this harddrive, time to dice up the commune with your very good nanofibers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gay devil posted:

the nanofiber attack seemed like spectacle for the sake of spectacle. we need to retrieve this harddrive, time to dice up the commune with your very good nanofibers

In the book it happens "off screen" if I remember right. I thought it was goofy even then and was around when I started turning on the book. They certainly upped what occurred on the show based on my memory of the description of the attack in the book. It also looked unforgivably bad they probably should've stuck with how it played out in the book.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 1, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Na it was cool.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love this book series because the author clearly thought of some dumb and cool sci fi ideas and then proceeded to string them together into a novel series that blew up. It reminds me of golden age sci fi where the author clearly has pasted together a bunch of previously published short stories into a novel. But god drat I cannot remember the terminology for doing that. 3bp is like that the whole way through. And I unironically enjoy that sort of sci fi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The only bad part was the front of the ship looking like bad cgi when the slices started coming apart

Satellite dish coming apart looked good, side view of people on the deck running looked good, slices spilling into the shore looked good, it was just that front shot that looked cheap

The ten cent version was smart to do it at sunset with a darkly painted ship

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

I love this book series because the author clearly thought of some dumb and cool sci fi ideas and then proceeded to string them together into a novel series that blew up. It reminds me of golden age sci fi where the author clearly has pasted together a bunch of previously published short stories into a novel. But god drat I cannot remember the terminology for doing that. 3bp is like that the whole way through. And I unironically enjoy that sort of sci fi.

Anthology?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

Fix up novel.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Steve Yun posted:

The only bad part was the front of the ship looking like bad cgi when the slices started coming apart

Satellite dish coming apart looked good, side view of people on the deck running looked good, slices spilling into the shore looked good, it was just that front shot that looked cheap

The ten cent version was smart to do it at sunset with a darkly painted ship

On a rewatch, the anchors on the bow don't fall off as they pass the wires, but they are gone in later shots. I liked the effects just fine, but that bugged me.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
my favorite bit of CGI is the loving chimp lmfao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

discoukulele posted:

my favorite bit of CGI is the loving chimp lmfao

Yeah, just film that with a real one. If you have problems with the part where it thaws just shoot that in reverse.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I thought it looked fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

I thought it looked fine.

Ask your optometrist for a refund lol

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I never finished the first book, mostly because it was tedious but also partly because it filled me with a sense of dread and malaise. That feeling was pretty much missing in the show as someone mentioned, but then again it's hard to complain about when it's one of the reasons that made me stop reading the book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mean it looked okay. Some people just have really high expectations for cgi for some reason.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd rather they not harass an animal for human entertainment, therefore CGI good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean it looked okay. Some people just have really high expectations for cgi for some reason.

The fur looked particularly off and the whole model was too pristine and shiny. The animation felt weird too, especially because motion blur was added artificially and wasn't behaving like real people in the scene. Like it was Hair and Motion Blur plugins you'd find in some Unreal engine game, representing a robot of a chimp. A movie 12 years older looks better IMO, maybe they should have got a couple VFX people who worked on that series.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011):

3BP:

We were saying "oof" at the effects while we were watching it, it was especially funny because the human actors were reacting as if they were watching a CGI primate come to life at well

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd rather they not harass an animal for human entertainment, therefore CGI good.

Yeah, the CGI needed to puke so I can imagine that would not have been practical. But they still could have just, done it better?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
A whole movie where you're looking at a primate so it has to be convincing, using motion capture acting

vs

A minute or 2 of footage where it just has to be good enough

At the end of the day CGI is a money/time decision on how much it'll impact the final product

Edit: Honestly the rocket launch and "Mexico" CGI in the final episode were far more glaring and off-putting to me

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 1, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

A minute or 2 of footage where it just has to be good enough

Except, it wasn't really good enough, it was like being made to turn in C- homework

The ship for me was fine on first watch if I wasn't like freeze-framing it, the plastic monke was the only thing that looked obviously bad first go-around

The show is like no-budget most of the time so that kinda makes it worse when they halfass the few bits that need it

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Don't worry guys the dragon chimp budget will be increased in season 2.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If you don't want to or can't use a real chimp, and if you can't spend tons of money on good CGI, just get rid of the chimp scene all together. Or leave him frozen in the thing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I love this book series because the author clearly thought of some dumb and cool sci fi ideas and then proceeded to string them together into a novel series that blew up.

Yeah, this. It's the most characteristic thing about the books for me. With almost every single plot line you can very clearly see how it was lazily written backwards from an idea for a scene or an event or some concept.

For example, he had a cool idea about an alien ship the size of a proton that is secretly triggering detectors in particle accelerators to lead our science into the wrong direction. Then he just put some characters and filler around the idea and called it a day.

Cause, if you try to write organically around the concept you very quickly start to run into all kinds of plot problems. Like, fundamental physics research takes many different forms, so the aliens need a way that is not just a proton to lock down many other research areas too. But if they can get here physically with larger objects to do that, why would it take 400 years for the invasion fleet to arrive? And couldn't we actually fight those larger objects? Or, the books are full of batshit insane megaprojects, why wouldn't space faring humans 50 years down the line not try to build particle accelerators all around the solar system so sophons would have to take hours to travel between them? Clearly it's a lot easier for us to build a particle accelerator than for them to build a sophon, so they can't win that arms race. I'm not even sure if there is a way to manipulate detector results in such a way that we couldn't work around that if we knew what was happening. But that's going into hard sci-fi territory, which the books most definitely don't claim to be.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 2, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I liked the mediocre CGI chimpanzee. It had charm and also prompted me and my wife to reflect on how chimpanzees are comically dangerous. His big dick line immediately afterward about his planned schedule landed fine and was the cool part.

What's the spoiler policy/etiquette here for stuff like episodes vs. book content?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

What's the spoiler policy/etiquette here for stuff like episodes vs. book content?

We don't really have any firm rules, but I at least tag book spoilers

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they want a real chimp to vomit, just show it the cg effects they would use in its place.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Fwiw I watched it on my iPad Pro and the chimp looked very very bad. It looked really fake because it looked too smooth or whatever. A puppet would have been better imo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The fact that they didn’t euthanize a person and shoot a real brain in to space is quite frankly disappointing.

Lazy work all in all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

JohnnySavs posted:

On a rewatch, the anchors on the bow don't fall off as they pass the wires, but they are gone in later shots. I liked the effects just fine, but that bugged me.

It didn’t realize it was cut yet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I liked the mediocre CGI chimpanzee. It had charm and also prompted me and my wife to reflect on how chimpanzees are comically dangerous. His big dick line immediately afterward about his planned schedule landed fine and was the cool part.

Them dethawing a chimp in a room full of people was pretty funny. You think he might be disoriented by this process? What do we think his reaction to being extremely disoriented would be?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

PostNouveau posted:

Them dethawing a chimp in a room full of people was pretty funny. You think he might be disoriented by this process? What do we think his reaction to being extremely disoriented would be?

I legit thought the chimp would turn violent before it barfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I watched this and I feel like they probably did a good job adapting a book that was not very well suited to being adapted and yet something about the pacing of the show or something just makes me kind of not enjoy it very much for some reason that I can't really articulate?

I only read half of the first book but it felt very mysterious, whereas the show kind of feels like random stuff happening that I'm not sure why I'm really supposed to care about

Also I think most of the characters manage to be incredibly annoying 90% of the time.

However, I will say that Benedict Wong is absolutely fantastic in this

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 2, 2024