Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I watched this and I feel like they probably did a good job adapting a book that was not very well suited to being adapted and yet something about the pacing of the show or something just makes me kind of not enjoy it very much for some reason that I can't really articulate?

I only read half of the first book but it felt very mysterious, whereas the show kind of feels like random stuff happening that I'm not sure why I'm really supposed to care about

Also I think most of the characters suck.

However, I will say that Benedict Wong is absolutely fantastic in this

The book carries all the central mysteries the entire way through. The aliens, the ETO, what Ye Wenjie did, who she is in the present, what the video game is. It's alllllllll held until the end of the book.

I think the showrunners were smart to ditch that. It works fine in the book, but absolutely nothing would have happened in the show for 7 episodes if they'd done it the way the book did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I did laugh that the thawing process was ten seconds. No more leaving frozen chimps out on the counter top for a whole afternoon!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I rewatched the last couple of episodes with some friends, and one of them threw out a perfectly-timed tidbit about how bananas aren't actually that healthy for chimps right before the barf.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve Yun posted:

I did laugh that the thawing process was ten seconds. No more leaving frozen chimps out on the counter top for a whole afternoon!

When you hear the garage door close and realize you forgot to take the chimp out of the freezer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I love this book series because the author clearly thought of some dumb and cool sci fi ideas and then proceeded to string them together into a novel series that blew up. It reminds me of golden age sci fi where the author clearly has pasted together a bunch of previously published short stories into a novel. But god drat I cannot remember the terminology for doing that. 3bp is like that the whole way through. And I unironically enjoy that sort of sci fi.

Have you seen Pantheon? I think you'd like it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The 5th episode felt like such a great high point and ending (which from what I gather is where the 1st book ends?) and while there are some great plot developments and reveals in the remaining 3 episodes, it feels meandering a bit

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

discoukulele posted:

I rewatched the last couple of episodes with some friends, and one of them threw out a perfectly-timed tidbit about how bananas aren't actually that healthy for chimps right before the barf.

The scientists did extensive research on chimp physiology consisting of watching old Abbot and Costello movies.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I've recommended this show to 4 different people, who all ended up finishing the series within a few days. I was surprised how well it connected with non sci-fi fans.

I think it does a good job of making you feel smart, without being too confusing.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I was worried they would dumb it down, but they didn't really dumb anything down as much as present things in a way where you can go "oh, obviously these people know what they're talking about" without pages and pages of scientific exposition.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm really glad that bad cgi just slides right off my smooth brain and I can enjoy things. Right up there with my lack of a wine pallet. Congratulations on spending hundreds of dollars for the right to spend hundreds for the same satisfaction I get from three buck chuck

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

discoukulele posted:

I was worried they would dumb it down, but they didn't really dumb anything down as much as present things in a way where you can go "oh, obviously these people know what they're talking about" without pages and pages of scientific exposition.

Without the scientific exposition, the only difference in the presentation between someone who "knows what they're talking about" and someone who is "dumber than a sack of hammers" is whether or not the author decided that their plan actually works.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Batshit ideas are an homage to 1960’s sci-fi

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

jisforjosh posted:

The 5th episode felt like such a great high point and ending (which from what I gather is where the 1st book ends?) and while there are some great plot developments and reveals in the remaining 3 episodes, it feels meandering a bit

Yeah this is the general consensus among my friends. Everything up to episode 5 was great and enthralling, and then it feels very unfocused for the last 3 episodes. Overall good enough to make us excited for season 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011):

3BP:

You can't really compare a high budget movie where realistic looking chimps are the main selling point to a show that only needs a chimp for a couple of minutes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

You can't really compare a high budget movie where realistic looking chimps are the main selling point to a show that only needs a chimp for a couple of minutes.

they could've shown the chimp in an operating room or something. they didnt need to close-up on it

which IMO summarizes the problems with the CGI in the show - none of it was very good, but they emphasized it like it was a 2005 blockbuster. If they move forward with season 2 they'll need to figure that out or the droplet attack will look like Stargate

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
If the chimp is the CG low point, the show is doing pretty well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stegosnaurlax posted:

If the chimp is the CG low point, the show is doing pretty well.

It isn't - the boat looks much worse when it's first shown. It looks like something you'd see on a network cop show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Groovelord Neato posted:

It isn't - the boat looks much worse when it's first shown. It looks like something you'd see on a network cop show.

Doesn't bother me, gives corridor crew something to hide behind their membership videos.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

I looked and even adjusting for inflation, these 8 episodes had a higher budget ($160 million, 20 million per episode) than the Apes movie ($90 million in 2011 dollars).

But the main thing is on top of that, CGI had 13 years to improve. Like I'm seeing asset-flip chimp models that look better in still shots than that did.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s inflation. McChickens used to be a dollar but now they’re $3. Stands to reason good chimp models have tripled in price as well

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hello? Is this the CGI mill? I would like to speak to a manager about the quality of your recent apes

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I looked and even adjusting for inflation, these 8 episodes had a higher budget ($160 million, 20 million per episode) than the Apes movie ($90 million in 2011 dollars).

But the main thing is on top of that, CGI had 13 years to improve. Like I'm seeing asset-flip chimp models that look better in still shots than that did.

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

On top of that, you're now dealing with an FX industry that's in far worse straits that it once was -- things cost more and look worse.

The monkey doesn't look photorealistic, but it moves nicely and communicates the essentials required by the scene. I don't get why this is such a big deal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

all my good cgi apes gone

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Netflix got the wrong slurp juice and mutated their ape poorly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finished Quinn’s 4 hour video ( I pod casted it over a week)on the book series and his videos are always well done imo.

I also shan’t be reading the books at this point lol.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

On top of that, you're now dealing with an FX industry that's in far worse straits that it once was -- things cost more and look worse.

The monkey doesn't look photorealistic, but it moves nicely and communicates the essentials required by the scene. I don't get why this is such a big deal.

Almost exactly the arguments I was going to make. You're talking about ~$160m for 7 hours of content vs ~$130m ($93m 2011 dollars) for 1.75 hours.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Large actor budgets? We've got the guy from Star Citizen, the guy from Marvel Slop, and no one else I've ever heard of. I'd chalk it up to graft and probably D&D being as bad at money as they are at details. It's not even like they're shooting in castles and hot springs in Iceland like GoT, most of this is people sitting around in offices.

Here's an objectively bad choice, licensing that loving Lana Del Rey song. I hated that whiny crap day 1 that I heard it, doesn't even have any cool videogame references in it!

mystes posted:

all my good cgi apes gone

I mean it's one cgi banana, what could it cost, 10 dollars?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For people who read the books, would the next seasons potentially be more expensive based on what happens?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

For people who read the books, would the next seasons potentially be more expensive based on what happens?

Much much more expensive.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

the guy from Marvel Slop

This better not be directed at Benedict Wong

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Here's an objectively bad choice, licensing that loving Lana Del Rey song. I hated that whiny crap day 1 that I heard it, doesn't even have any cool videogame references in it!

Imagine hating women this much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

This better not be directed at Benedict Wong

He's great in this, I just think it's tragic that he's stuck doing Marvel crap while probably making 1/1000th of whatever Robert Downey Jr did.

MarcusSA posted:

Imagine hating women this much.

Confusing take since wikipedia says the song is considered "antifeminist". I hate it for the same reason I hate Hallelujah, just mopey basic garbage. But this song is worse because of the false advertising. If you're gonna make a song referencing video games it better sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8HOgVW6ts

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

This show also had a weirdly stacked executive producer list, which likely means a bunch of money went to those people without much to show for it (Benioff, Weiss, Rian Johnson, Rosamund Pike, Brad Pitt, Andrew Stanton) nevermind the others I don’t recognize!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Large actor budgets? We've got the guy from Star Citizen, the guy from Marvel Slop, and no one else I've ever heard of.

There was an article about a few years back, but essentially we've reached a situation with actors and streaming shows such that the leads are now being paid considerably more per episode than they once were, regardless of apparent star power.

While there are no A list stars here, other than Pitt's producer credit, that was largely true of the Apes films IIRC -- the first film's only star power at the time was James Franco. (Karen Konoval is the star of my heart, though, and Serkis is no slouch). What you have here is far more actors, many of them character actors with industry name recognition.

This is a show that could afford to film and then dump scenes with Sylvester McCoy, but also employ people like CCH Pounder, Mark Gattiss, Benedict Wong, Liam Cunningham, Jovan Adepo and Jonathan Price, among others, some in tremendously small roles. All these people are quite respected in the industry, despite being working actors. That you don't know who they are doesn't mean they don't need to be paid a lot to have them all on your project, it just means you're uneducated.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

He's great in this, I just think it's tragic that he's stuck doing Marvel crap while probably making 1/1000th of whatever Robert Downey Jr did.

Marco Polo not getting a third season was a crime.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I binged the original Three-Body this past week, drat that was good stuff. The dubbing of the English-speaking characters was hilarious, and the back half probably could have been edited down a tad tighter but still, A+ would recommend.

Watching the Netflix version is like reading a Coles Notes, goddam do they knock down key plot points and character development like dominoes. If I hadn't watched Three-Body first then I'd feel really disconnected from a lot of what's going on in 3 Body Problem. I feel like Goldilocks, albeit the Netflix version is moving extremely fast whereas the original was only a tad slow imo.

3BP is about 440 minutes (8 eps, 55min per maybe?) of content I estimate, and T-B was close to 1450 minutes (30 eps, 45min per roughly?). Feels like a 'just right' version would probably be feasible if it was around 1200 minutes perhaps; I'll need to check out that anniversary edition whenever I decide to do a re-watch.

Anyways, to avoid potential spoilers and hints I skipped reading the thread for now, so my apologies if these questions were already asked and/or answered.

- I'm only 4 episodes into the Netflix version, and I saw a few comments that some content from the next book was included in 3BP. Is that accurate (y/n is all I need)?

- If the above was a 'y', then would any book readers in the thread strongly recommend reading The Dark Forest before continuing 3BP?

- Lastly, was the original Three-Body pretty much the same as the book, i.e. could I go from watching Three-Body to reading The Dark Forest, or should I still read through The Three-Body Problem first?

Thanks in advance for advice & recommendations! :yayclod:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Go ahead and read Dark Forest. It’s gonna be at least 2 years before we get the Netflix season 2

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

kalensc posted:

Anyways, to avoid potential spoilers and hints I skipped reading the thread for now, so my apologies if these questions were already asked and/or answered.

- I'm only 4 episodes into the Netflix version, and I saw a few comments that some content from the next book was included in 3BP. Is that accurate (y/n is all I need)?

- If the above was a 'y', then would any book readers in the thread strongly recommend reading The Dark Forest before continuing 3BP?

- Lastly, was the original Three-Body pretty much the same as the book, i.e. could I go from watching Three-Body to reading The Dark Forest, or should I still read through The Three-Body Problem first?

Thanks in advance for advice & recommendations! :yayclod:

- Yeah, there's content from the next two books in 3BP
- The content from the next two books are the first few chapters from each. Roughly the first 100 pages of Book 3 and somewhere around that for Book 2 (but I'm not positive on that one). It's not anything majorly spoilerish as it's all of the setup stuff from both books.
- You could probably go from Three-Body to the Dark Forest (there's just a few minor subplots that the series added, but otherwise it's almost entirely the same). It might be better to read Three Body Problem first though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Book 2, maybe a little more

Book 3, way more or it's gonna look like total poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Marco Polo not getting a third season was a crime.

Netflix cancels all great shows after Season 2, it's the law.