Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Lampsacus posted:

There is going to be some 2nd book stuff in the first season right? They won't be able to help themselves rushing into the goooood stufff

I read they cast some characters who I’m pretty sure aren’t in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Lampsacus posted:

There is going to be some 2nd book stuff in the first season right? They won't be able to help themselves rushing into the goooood stufff

It's basically the first book, but with things from all three books added in

book spoilers - they're doing all of the Common Era stuff from all three books that technically happened around the same time anyways

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lampsacus posted:

One of the episode titles is a term that doesn't appear until book 2

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I got into the premiere! And they gave out the VR helmets, too!

I'm a huge fan of the books, and I loved the first episode. All of the scenes during the cultural revolution are very well done, and the actress who plays young Ye Wenjie is fantastic. The modern era stuff is very different from the books, but it still keeps all of the important components.

I can definitely see this adaptation being a bit divisive, especially for anyone wanting a purely faithful adaptation, but it's certainly a lot more fun and engaging than the Tencent series.

Just going off of this first episode, I would probably objectively rate it somewhere between a solid B+ or A-, but I'm extremely hyped about where it's going and how they're handling it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm ok with it not being completely faithful to the book. Despite my own weird tastes I can accept that most people don't want a TV show that is 75% physicists talking to each other about physics

Any concerns I have are down to the creators and how bad the latter half of GoT was, along with being extremely dubious about dudes who wanted to make an alt history American civil war show that was covered in red flags before anything had even been filmed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The book is conceptually interesting but very dry, so yeah I would hope that they take some liberties. Otherwise it would be like 90% dudes sitting around in rooms talking.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I actually liked Books 2 and 3 more so I gotta say if people really like this adaptation then it's just going to get better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Reviews coming in

71% on RT

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/3_body_problem/s01

Most of the negative reviews comment on the flat, two-dimensional characters

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 10, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Most of the negative reviews comment on the flat, two-dimensional characters
so its true to the books : p

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes, for all that I loved the books, the depth of characterization was never one of them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/shows/3-body-problem-review-netflix-adaptation-bore-1234961409/

quote:

Critics of Benioff and Weiss will also note plenty of old issues popping up again. There are confounding changes to a beloved book series (I cannot imagine these new characters going over well), indelicate handling of racial and gender dynamics (the remaining Chinese characters in this once fully-Chinese story are barely developed, outright villainous, or both)

I can't say I'm surprised

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
3 more days!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

It's totally fine, they just mixed in an old Fash Gordon serial and somehow Ming the Merciless is a Quisling to all mankind.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ninurta posted:

Fash Gordon

Punch him.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ninurta posted:

old Fash Gordon

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I can't imagine how much exhausting nonsense you'd have to cut from these books to make anything resembling a good tv show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

banned from Starbucks posted:

I can't imagine how much exhausting nonsense you'd have to cut from these books to make anything resembling a good tv show.

Well, bad news, all the reviews say we are not about to find out.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It was doomed from the very beginning. It's a very challenging adaptation and you need someone talented like Villeneuve to pull this off, not Beavis and Butthead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I saw the first two episodes already; my work had a preview screening I got tickets to.

Ask me anything.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

NieR Occomata posted:

I saw the first two episodes already; my work had a preview screening I got tickets to.

Ask me anything.

Was it any good?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was actually pretty fine. I’m reading the book right now, which I love, and the show was able to change some things pretty smartly. It’s able to strip out the cultural sexism of the book by centralizing its story around two women instead of one man who happens to do basically everything.

The show has problems but stuff like that indiewire review which is just flat out wrong (Ye Wenjie gets far more screentime than she ever does in the book and exists as a person beyond “person who has bad things happen to her”) and deifies the book as some perfect thing as opposed to a convoluted mess that just wouldn’t ever work without heavy editing to virtually every aspect of it for sheer clarity’s sake isn’t helpful. It’s not a perfect thing, the new addition of the “Oxford Five” reads as some Captain Planet esque poo poo, but it’s a lot better than people are saying it is. I’ll be watching the first season when it premieres at least.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The reviews are spotty to say the least. I'm not hopeful for the show because the books are no ASOIAF, but I also don't understand why critics are so mad about adaptational changes because... the books are no ASOIAF. Particularly the first one which is dramatically worse than the other two, so it's unfortunate they have to adapt it first.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Updog Scully posted:

the books are no ASOIAF

That's a good thing

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The subreddit is calling this the coming broadcast era which i find funny. ETA: 2 hours ish ish????

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

The subreddit is calling this the coming broadcast era which i find funny. ETA: 2 hours ish ish????

Let's hope the doesn't suck or we might enter a deterrence era.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What time do Netflix shows drop

Edit: It’s up!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 21, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thought I recognized Evans' actor and yep, he was in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sertaline and Alprazolam are anxiety medications in case anyone’s wondering

First episode was great! It’s very good at teasing. It teases in a very tantalizing way the way Lost used to, except unlike Lost we know that the reveals are actually worth all the buildup

Absolute breakneck speed. A lot of character development with Ye Wenjie gets shoved into a bazooka and launched at your face. Would’ve liked it taking more time, but understandable considering the episode count

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah from recollection, the first part of the first book was a slow burn. Ideally, so would the tv show but my god I understand the need to cater to 2024+ attention spans.

E1 stars were cool. On to e2!

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa

Steve Yun posted:

Sertaline and Alprazolam are anxiety medications in case anyone’s wondering

First episode was great! It’s very good at teasing. It teases in a very tantalizing way the way Lost used to, except unlike Lost we know that the reveals are actually worth all the buildup

I got some Lost vibes from it too! Glad I wasn't the only one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Episode 2 ends on a banger and it’s satisfyingly dramatic

Shows great so far

Samwell Tarly’s character isn’t even as annoying as I thought he would be from the trailers!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

god this show is just racing through the material. again, this makes sense in some ways. but i kind of wish it would slow down and do things like - i don' t know - actually demonstrate the 3 body problem to the audience. its glossed over like some lore or brute fact of the alien system rather than a universal actual puzzle in physics. also, the big reveals/oh-my-god moments in the novel are pushed through so quickly on this show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The way they handle getting invitations into the vr simulator, while I think it’s rushed, I respect how brutally efficient it is, like taking three wheels away from a car and figuring out how to turn it into a unicycle that still gets you to work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dare I say the character dynamics between these 5 main characters is actually more entertaining than the source material. They’re all very distinct and have personalities

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

god this show is just racing through the material. again, this makes sense in some ways. but i kind of wish it would slow down and do things like - i don' t know - actually demonstrate the 3 body problem to the audience. its glossed over like some lore or brute fact of the alien system rather than a universal actual puzzle in physics. also, the big reveals/oh-my-god moments in the novel are pushed through so quickly on this show.

Yeahhhhhh

So far the big downside of this show

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm loving how much they spent on licencing pop songs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interesting additions

Episode 3:
Will’s cancer and Indian Dad’s war story are allusions to the battle between different life forms over limited resources. Might come across heavy handed for book readers but for non-book-readers they might get to the end of the series and look back on these moments in episode 3 and go oh wow they were hinting at these themes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It sounds like the show is fun. I'm gonna watch the first episode during a flight later today. Looking forward to it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished 5

Pacing continues to be a pebble in my shoe watching this show

They don’t take enough time to explain why the 3 body problem is so difficult. Clearly explaining a concept this central to the show helps audiences feel like they have a grasp on what’s going on and not feel like they’re getting buried in Star Trek mumbo jumbo

They don’t clearly explain why they have to use nanowires and why they can’t use conventional tactics against the judgement day

Edit:

Pros through 5
Will’s cancer story is a surprisingly good addition, thematically

Wang Miao being split up is also working out surprisingly well. Lets the characters talk to each other instead of one character talking to themself

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Time is a motherfucker.
:getin: