Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cryomancer posted:

So, they don't understand metaphor, but they're capable of using simile? "Y'all are BUGS!"

That happened after Evans used the "pest" metaphor.

The San-Ti are biologically incapable of lying in their natural means of communication, but they can still use metaphors while using English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

PostNouveau posted:

It's authorial fiat on the level of, like, a kid drawing a tank that has lasers and can fly.

That was my take on it too. I was annoyed with this in the same way I was annoyed with The West Wing. It's contrived as hell but doesn't acknowledge it. It's like someone dressed up Doctor Who as Apollo 13 for Halloween.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

mistermojo posted:

I can’t believe how uninterested this show is in exploring humanity's reaction to aliens being real and mean. Leftovers this is not.

I think it's really hard to tell this kind of story and meaningfully show the social reaction and vice versa. It would have hurt the Leftovers to also be following the real president or his identical twin brother dealing with the aftermath of the Departure.

I do think when you have a universe this big, you could approach it like a mini MCU and do different genres within the larger theme. Someone like Lindloff could absolutely carve out different cuts of meat within the premise

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Fuckin pissed that debate and discussion has hosed all this poo poo up

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Maybe they should have tried gatekeeping the aliens.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Does the season reference or hint about the dark forest theory or the Fermi paradox?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Junkenstein posted:

Does the season reference or hint about the dark forest theory or the Fermi paradox?

not spelled out yet but hints that they will

Ye Wenjie tells her joke about getting God’s attention and getting kicked in the balls

She also pulls out books on Game Theory and Fermi’s Paradox off her shelf, probably for Saul to find after she’s dead

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if aliens appeared in the sky and said in 400 years we will invade this planet, my response would be lol lmao we will have well and truly hosed it in 40 good luck with whats left

and then not even felt bad about loving it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does that have any bearing on the new lego sets coming out? No? Then gently caress off, aliens.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cojawfee posted:

Does that have any bearing on the new lego sets coming out? No? Then gently caress off, aliens.

If I was aliens I’d be so psyched about new Lego sets

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if aliens appeared in the sky and said in 400 years we will invade this planet, my response would be lol lmao we will have well and truly hosed it in 40 good luck with whats left

and then not even felt bad about loving it

Yea like, I don't think people would kill themselves and riot and stuff. Religion might have some questions to answer though and that would gently caress a lot of people up.

It's SO WEIRD to me in this to see big british comedians as side parts. Phil Wang especially - at least with Kevin Eldon and the League of Gentlemen they're normally actors. He kinda isn't!
Also Keiko doing that accent that americans think we have, I guess she wanted to try and be a little british

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cojawfee posted:

They keep releasing new Lego sets that are plant themed and I keep buying them but it's an investment I'll pass on to my future kids.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

It's SO WEIRD to me in this to see big british comedians as side parts. Phil Wang especially - at least with Kevin Eldon and the League of Gentlemen they're normally actors. He kinda isn't!

Wang's been acting more recently, small parts in some TV stuff and he turned up in Wonka too.

Edit: Speaking of comedians turned actors, apparently Sylvester McCoy filmed scenes for this as well, but like Naoko Mori's they were cut.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 31, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Binged 6 episodes yesterday and realized like 3 episodes in that I read the first book years ago. Not an indictment of the book at all, I'm just old.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Never read the books but this was really drat good. Just finished the series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I only know these people as Taskmaster contestants. I saw Guz Khan in The Gentleman and was Leo pointing and whistling.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I still don’t really understand why slicing the ship was the best option.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems, like most book to screen adaptations, that book readers have the most to complain about

Which is why I always say watch the series or movie first and then read the book. That way you have a good time watching it, and then another good time reading the book

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

But then you have all the mysteries spoiled already when you read the book. It doesn't matter in some books but I'd argue it definitely matters here.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

I still don’t really understand why slicing the ship was the best option.

What I assumed was that they wanted a way to kill everyone on board in such a surprising way that they would not have time to wipe their drives or really do anything to safeguard their data.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What I assumed was that they wanted a way to kill everyone on board in such a surprising way that they would not have time to wipe their drives or really do anything to safeguard their data.

Yeah. Bombs might have destroyed the hard drive, and a raid might have caused the ETO (ESO?) to destroy the hard drives themselves. The show version made it happen slowly enough that Evans could have destroyed the drive if he realized he was under attack by humans. Maybe he assumed the apparently supernatural force killing everyone was the San-Ti.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

The first message they receive is "yo, shut the gently caress up. Others that aren't as friendly as me is also listening!"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Alhazred posted:

The first message they receive is "yo, shut the gently caress up. Others that aren't as friendly as me is also listening!"

That message is referring to other members of the same species on the same planet

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tarnop posted:

That message is referring to other members of the same species on the same planet

theres a little dark forest inside all of us

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Steve Yun posted:

The true Dark Forrest were the friends me made along the way. Or I guess the lack thereof.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Steve Yun posted:

I'm now reflecting on the fact that I didn't notice that was foreshadowing

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't read Dune but notice a similar feeling that the Dune nerds on dune youtube have within me with 3bp. The adaption gives us the big story beats but they don't resonate as much.

Because there isn't thousands of sentences backing up why drinking the blue spice is so profound or why the wallfacers are so interesting. I don't know - i do think in 3bp's case you are watching them wretch a very lengthy sci if series written by/for/within the Chinese cultural context of 2005 into the factory that is netflix content. And they are trying to hit the Cool bits as quickly as they can so it's cool for new viewers. They know, like some alien species with three suns in their sky, that best case scenario they have a very limited half life.

S1 of GoT was literally them making it down the king's road and then mucking about in the palace before the 1 (one) big plot twist of the show. Imagine of they tried to fit in the red wedding in S1 lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They wanted the coolest most bad rear end way you could destroy something but still leave the pieces of it survivable so thats why they julianed the boat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m still laughing about the main character being a nanofiber guy and the whole operation revolved around that

SPY BOSS: The leader of the bad guys has hidden his top secret plan to blow up the world inside his shoe. The shoe is rigged to self destruct if the stitches are ripped in the wrong way

(Spy Boss turns to the greatest shoe cobbler in the world, who is also the main character)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I finished the season this weekend and I'll totally watch S2 but I'm not interested enough to pick up the books in the meantime.

Let me get this straight: the aliens became hostile when Mike read them Little Red Robin Hood and they realized the concept of lying but weren't they already tricking scientists into believing science was broken? Isn't that an act of lying itself? Hilarious trigger for an interstellar war though.

I enjoy this genre but it's at the intersection of taking itself too seriously and having insane scientific solutions. You're going to bisect a ship with nanofibers hoping it doesn't destroy a harddrive on it? You're going to launch a guy's brain into space with a chain of nukes hoping the aliens can reincarnate him? The United Nations is actually doing something??

Are the Wallfacers supposed to make sense at this point for a non book reader because lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Are the Wallfacers supposed to make sense at this point for a non book reader because lmao

It don't make sense in the book either

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

kiminewt posted:

But then you have all the mysteries spoiled already when you read the book. It doesn't matter in some books but I'd argue it definitely matters here.

The explanation of the sophons is the first mindblowing/mindbending big concept that hooked me in when reading the book. For non-book readers, I'm guessing it was a pretty cool concept to be introduced to in the show. Meanwhile, I am just wondering how they will show it instead of being swept away.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Hollismason posted:

They wanted the coolest most bad rear end way you could destroy something but still leave the pieces of it survivable so thats why they julianed the boat.

They knew it was carrying a shipment of hard-boiled eggs.
Also I lol'd when the wreckage caught fire. Great job not endangering the hard drive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

They knew it was carrying a shipment of hard-boiled eggs.
Also I lol'd when the wreckage caught fire. Great job not endangering the hard drive.

I thought it was hilarious that they knew there would be one specific hard drive they were using.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, that one drive can hold petabytes of data apparently?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Also, that one drive can hold petabytes of data apparently?

That one bugs me, in a way that probably has an explanation I have forgotten. Super-advanced hard drives and VR headsets, here on Earth, which means they must have been manufactured on Earth. Kinda, sorta, defeats the whole impeding human technological progress thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shneak posted:

I finished the season this weekend and I'll totally watch S2 but I'm not interested enough to pick up the books in the meantime.

Let me get this straight: the aliens became hostile when Mike read them Little Red Robin Hood and they realized the concept of lying but weren't they already tricking scientists into believing science was broken? Isn't that an act of lying itself? Hilarious trigger for an interstellar war though.

No. The aliens were already planning to invade and conquer Earth; Mike Evans and his group were a bunch of willing collaborators. The aliens realized that humans can lie and decided not to trust the collaborators.

quote:

(Wallfacers) Are the Wallfacers supposed to make sense at this point for a non book reader because lmao

In the second book, the Wallfacers initiative is introduced after a few other plans have been discussed and shot down, or tried and failed. The Wallfacer Initiative is controversial and seems like a desperation move.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 1, 2024

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shneak posted:

So, two things:

1.) a lot of the actual physical planning and execution of plan "Drive Scientists to Suicide" was being organized and carried out by the ETO with only some help from the Sophons; specifically, the sophons only delivered threats via a countdown delivered into the cornea, after which an agent would be dispatched to murder the scientist and make their death look like a suicide, which is an absolutely truthful and above-board threat. The same thing goes for the game; that was all ETO, albeit using technology probably given by the San-ti. The aliens can't really handle the level of metaphor necessary to create something like that. The show kind of blurs the lines on this by making it look like the sophons are driving the game and having the Sophon lady appear in the game, but in the books its more clearly just a program run by the ETO using existing VR technology (the books take place a little further in the near-future than the show makes clear)

2.) the San-ti understand deceit, but not lying. They're not stupid; they understand things like hiding, or predator camouflage, or disguising troop movements. But their method of communication is something akin to two-way telepathy, or possibly displaying a direct picture of their current brain state on the surface of their skin; they cannot talk to one another without revealing their own internal mental state, and this is so directly biologically ingrained that it spills out into second hand communications like radio messages, where they theoretically could lie. Lying, to them, is like trying to visualize a fourth spatial dimension of a human; it ought to be possible, in theory, but your natural biology is pretty heavily coded against it. When they spoke to the human collaborators, they assumed that this was also the case in humans, so when they made contact they trusted everything every human told them implicitly. When Mike revealed that humans can easily and trivially lie, they had to stop and rethink, paralyzed by the fear that they had actually walked into a decades long human trap.

Chamale posted:

In the second book, the Wallfacers initiative is introduced after a few other plans have been discussed and shot down, or tried and failed. The Wallfacer Initiative is controversial and seems like a desperation move.
It's been a long time since I read the second book, but I always got the idea that the Wallfacer initiative was at least partly a kind of pointless PR stunt to make it look the the nations of earth were working hard on some mysterious plan to keep their own internal populations from revolting.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 1, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Steve Yun posted:

I’m still laughing about the main character being a nanofiber guy and the whole operation revolved around that

SPY BOSS: The leader of the bad guys has hidden his top secret plan to blow up the world inside his shoe. The shoe is rigged to self destruct if the stitches are ripped in the wrong way

(Spy Boss turns to the greatest shoe cobbler in the world, who is also the main character)

I always kind of assumed that this worked in a similar way to making Saul a Wallfacer. If the aliens want Auggie dead then people making plans against the aliens will be biased towards plans that use tech she's working on because it must be dangerous to the aliens' plans, because they want her dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
the wallfacers is a stupid idea from the point of view of humans, but it was (probably I dunno I didnt read the books) terrifying to the trisolarians. With how their thoughts/communications work, the idea of parallel development, i.e. when two entities develop similar ideas without communicating with each other, would be completely foreign to them. Someone who could work on a problem without sharing their thoughts with anyone would be incomprehensible to them. However, unless they were prodigies like Ramanajun, the wallfacers would be at a serious disadvantage compared to most humans. It would have made more sense to pick wallfacers in a lottery in a rotating position.