Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
One more thing I was wondering during the Sohpons part If it can unfurl it's dimensions and cover the whole planet like that, and that wasn't an illusion, why don't they just use that to block the sun until 99% of humans die from the disruption of weather/food?
[/quote]

The adaptation really hosed up the Sophons in general.

In the book, they are omniscient spies, but can't do very much to the physical world besides loving with particle colliders and making people see things.

They also have a vested interest in remaining covert as long as possible.

Netflix made them able to effortlessly hack any computer system and willing to act openly, which begs all sorts of head-scratching questions.

Why, after Saul narrowly escapes assassination by car, is Shi's first instinct to rush him onto the highway and a plane? If they're trying to sow chaos and halt progress, why not take down the electrical and communication grids? Why not fire cruise missiles into every government building, or start WW3?

I think the short answer to your question is that the Sophons are actually not dense enough to block sunlight (they just appear to), but they certainly seem capable of 800 other methods of mass extermination that they don't use, because it would disrupt all of the boring, interpersonal drama.

confused posted:

Am I missing something? Was this incident in the book?

Yes.

In the book, there is a much longer discussion of the factors and options.

The issue is that Mark Jacobs is ready and willing to destroy the data the moment he realizes the ship is under attack, though he is more expecting this from rival factions of the ETO (from whom he has jealously hoarded the messages) than shadowy government forces.

The planners don't know the layout of the ship or where the data is stored, so any conventional attack they can come up with will either risk destroying the data (a bomb or missile) or give Jacobs time to destroy it himself (seal team 6 or gas).

They settle on the nanofiber in part because of its strangeness: the guards are looking for helicopters and gilly suits, not invisible wires slicing through the ship at the speed of its engines.

If the wires do bisect a hard drive, they can still retrieve the data.

It's still a little silly, but there's at least a chain of logic behind. Also, what happens on the ship is off page, so we don't see that Jacobs had ten minutes of panicked fleeing from bad CGI before dying.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The sophons were constantly hacking and making direct pressure on the world in the second book, in order to kill Luo Ji. People just thought it was an old assassin program because they were convinced the sophons had given up after seeing man's technological progress.

Oh, my bad. It has been a long time since I read them and I forgot about that.

Tarnop posted:

I don't think it was particularly successful, the performances were kind of flat and one note, and material I enjoyed in the books was removed to make room for it. Just as an example, when the countdown appears in the book, the character affected is freaked out but treats it like a scientist would; they conduct experiments, test hypotheses, apply the scientific method as much as they're able to. Auggie looks teary-eyed into the middle distance a lot and is sad about it. Nothing about the way she deals with it makes me think “this person is a world class scientist who is a threat to invading aliens”
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I pretty much agree on all points.

I was really surprised by the show's pattern of blurting out an answer during or even before any mystery is introduced, when that's easily the strongest hook in the book.

I think it would have been way easier to empathize with the Oxford 5 if they spent an episode or two trying to wrap their heads around their experiments failing and colleagues quitting or committing suicide without Wade and Shi announcing it was a global information warfare and assassination campaign against scientists in the first few scenes of the show.

Likewise, there is no mystery to the VR game, because Shi theorizes (I think even before we see it?) that it's a recruitment tool, and characters take 1 look at the headset and declare it's far beyond human technology.

This stretches even to the promotional campaign. The trailers use "THEY are coming!" as a tagline, the animated intro shows a planet surrounded by 3 suns, and I just saw an IG ad that was the Sophon threatening Wade on the plane.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Airplanes are like 99% autonomous already though. Airlines beg us to put our phones into Airplane Mode, yet loving Sophons can't disrupt them?

Well even if we doubted that, a Sophon DID disrupt an airplane (I think maybe even the same one?) 2 episodes later in the scene with Wade.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

She stabbed him in the neck and then the Sophon erased her from the footage, I don’t think it’s more complicated than that. No idea why Jack didn’t punch her in the face and run. Not sure if there’s a book explanation but that’s how the show portrays it, which doesn’t make sense because there’d be loads of other physical evidence.

No to book explanation. Neither of them are book characters and the book ETO/Sophons doesn't kill people who don't sign up for the newsletter, it just deletes their account and tells them to gently caress off.

In fact, Ye Wenjie executes a member for being indiscreet enough to murder a detractor.

GigaPeon posted:

Also, I forgot, were there kids on the Judgement Day in the book?

I don't think so. There are no scenes on board the ship except when Evans first shows it to Ye. The planning session considers the possibility of non-ETO crew, but there is no mention of families.

That said, Evans's faction of the ETO are described as coolaid-drinking fanatics who are knowingly courting eradication, so I don't think it's a stretch that they'd have their kids around, even if it was a cynical way to increase the stakes in the show.

The little girl in the VR game that said she felt every death and kept pleading with Jin to save her while she was dying horribly is also a show addition.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

confused posted:

"Hey, I know you've seeing this countdown. I'm with an organization that knows why it's happening and we'd really like to help you with it. We are glad to meet with you anytime you like in any location you'd like. I'd strongly suggest you do so soon because a lot of people who have seen the countdown have died."

Funnily enough, I think that's exactly how it plays out in the book. The main character starts seeing the countdown, can't figure it out, and a sympathetic/friendly colleague clues him in and suggests he pause his project.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

bawfuls posted:

In the book it’s the Cosmic Microwave Background that flickers, not the entire night sky for everyone on earth

Yeah, they almost certainly did this to avoid explaining that for 15 minutes or having a lot of viewers asking "...so?"

It was kind of silly though. There is probably some other phenomenon they could have used: maybe a specific star blinking on several instruments.

NmareBfly posted:

E: Spin, Robert Charles Winston. Marooned in Real Time, Vernor Vinge (RIP :C)

Oh, man. I didn't realize he died. I guess we'll never find out what happens with that fleet :(

These are good recommendations.

I'll add Peter F. Hamilton who writes space opera with some thematic parallels to 3 Body Problem: lots of viewpoint characters trying to cope with reality being turned on its head and humanity adapting.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Doltos posted:

. Will wasting all of his cash on a star for a girl that he had a crush on instead of remotely spending that money for good. .

Broadly agree, except this was a war bond. The star sales were a way of getting the wealthy to fund defense against the invasion and giving them something almost certainly meaningless in return, like when zoos let you "adopt" an otter or a gorilla for $50.

So a charitable interpretation is that he was showing Jin support and trying to do something unselfish with the money before he died.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cimber posted:

Why? They already know everything there is to know about humanity from scouring the internet, and I'm sure they could download the human genetic code from the human genome project.

Do you have any idea how much interstellar bandwidth costs? Why don't they just spring for HD Netflix while they are at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

- The way older Ye Wenjie is talking about the San-Ti coming to help and save humanity, she seems to have forgotten the pacifict's warning of "we will conquer you". I guess the conversations with the San-Ti convinced her otherwise?

This was simplified out, but the ETO has 3 factions:

Redemptionists believe that the invasion is necessary to fix humanity. Being subjects/slaves of a civilization who actually has their poo poo together is the only way to save us from ourselves.

Adventists (Evans) believe humanity sucks and is irredeemable. They are basically a death cult.

Evans monopolizes communication with the Trisolarans, possibly to hide their genocidal intentions (which they are pretty transparent about).

I think between her first message and his death, all exposure she had to them was filtered through him.

Survivalists are just cynical traitors who are hoping to buy their own survival with service. I don't think this gets elaborated on much.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 28, 2024