Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

discoukulele posted:

They got a massive increase to their CGI later on, but kept the minecraft characters lol. The (major book 2 spoilers) droplet attackis actually really well done. It's kinda shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EagvJ64VW0

Holy gently caress. There's no way D&D manage to make there version this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong but I think they actually do well as long as somebody hands them a good completed story (for the most part)

I agree that they actually seem good at adapting things, it's more that I don't think any of the action scenes in GoT where particularly memorable or had this sensibility to them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

I can't imagine how much exhausting nonsense you'd have to cut from these books to make anything resembling a good tv show.

Well, bad news, all the reviews say we are not about to find out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

deported to Canada posted:

I still have the last episode to go but its proved an interesting watch so far. I haven't read the books so I don't have to the reference point of what could have been, but the early mention of the Fermi paradox and Dark Forest hypothesis was a bit of a series spoiler as any one with a passing familiarity could begin piecing it together. I wonder if that's why they almost rushed to that to get the audience thinking that way. I don't know how I feel about the characters (except for Wade who is awesome) as it felt like the series needed for them to have something 'to-do' at times without there ever really being a scene where they sit down and realise they are all involved in some way and discussing it.

I'm still a bit WTF about the Judgement Day scene, this still doesn't feel like the best way of solving their issue and left too much to chance.

I feel like the way the Judgement Day scene is portrayed as well (slow moving, lots of running and screaming) makes it look about as affective as a squad of mercs would be, except with the nanowires you can't take any prisoners, kill a lot of children and potentially destroy everything you came for any way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

If a western adaptation were to change Ye Wenjie to another setting, what would work?

The easier solution would of been not to western wash the protagonist side of the story so much.

Changing the inciting nation to the Soviet Union would make logistical sense, but it's still as racial incentive to remove everything Chinese from the story as it is to only include Chinese villains.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Blankspace posted:

...but I guess that would've been harder to establish character drama for and/or schedule and/or require more sets

It seems impossible to me that Sense8 managed this nearly a decade ago and yet Netflix now can't pull the same trick.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Also ships aren’t on a flat solid road like a car, they are continually moving in three dimensions as they bob in the water, so having all the cuts be perfectly straight doesn’t really make sense either. I guess they just kind of forgot about higher dimensions, ironically.

Huh... In the spectacle of it all that hadn't occurred to me, but good point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just a minor thing but I dislike the font and style they choose for the countdown. It's less imposing and scary and more "You wouldn't steal a car!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FPyat posted:

That's pretty cool, in the differences and similarities. I can see what people mean in saying that the Chinese version is padded to hell and back.

Interesting that the Tencent version makes it look like, at most, half a dozen people died but the Netflix version has it be a loving massacre including kids.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

You need to keep watching. I can't remember when this is resolved but the idea is that the people playing it sympathise with them and want to help them. It's a recruitment tool and also an initiation device to weed people out.

Meanwhile the segments of the book that deal with it are so loving dull I immediately hated any character involved in its creation. So the exact opposite effect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lmao episode 5 was hilarious because of how over the top and fake it was. Yeah I still think the opening scene in episode 1 was super hard to watch cause it looked absolutely real.

The tone of that opening scene was so odd though. Like they killed him by mistake by taking things too far rather than public execution being a common ending to Struggle sessions. 2 million people died due to them, give or take.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BastardySkull posted:

Yeah. Even in the conversation about Red Riding Hood, Mike Evans tells them this is why his group is so important, they are there to do these things for them or help them to learn. Either way they still abandon him after saying "We're afraid of you". I think it comes as a huge shock to them and they take a while before they start contacting ETO agents again.

They really hosed the timing on that didn't they? If they had just gotten over it a bit quicker there entire base of operations and next generation of believers wouldn't of been sliced and diced.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A good poster posted:

!LATER BOOK SPOILERS!

I sure hope the show leaves out Luo Ji/Saul asking for a cottage in the countryside and a hot wife. That's probably what many people are thinking of when they call the books sexist.

I'm also curious about what 4-D space and the dual-vector foil attack will look like.

I mean, they managed to make all the wild poo poo in this book look boring as gently caress so probably nothing to write home about.

The game is the nicest this show gets visually and it's basically a Game of Thrones knock off.

The stars blinking out, the countdown, etc are all shown in the most dry way possible to endear the least amazement in the viewer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I don’t know how you make the universe flickering into a pedestrian event but they managed it somehow.

I can't remember if it happens in the book but the sky getting brighter and then flickering didn't help, as it meant the sky already looked fake before the event, so the entire thing lost any impact.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

confused posted:

Finished ep 8 last night. Even given all my frustrations with the show, I think, as a whole, it was a worthwhile watch. Additionally, I think they left things in an interesting enough place that I will definitely give second season a shot if they make one. I appreciate the fact that they took some big swings in this show. Not all of them connected, but you certainly can't fault them for being timid. In the end, I think my primary frustration is that it seems like with like 15% more work or talent, it could have been amazing instead of just worthwhile.

Imagine if every one of the Oxford Five had the same charisma as John Bradley! Imagine how much better the show would instantly be with no other changes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yadoppsi posted:

Perhaps you or some other readers of this thread would enjoy this fan made Supercut of Tencent's 3Body: https://disembiggened.com/

This is just the first book, right? Any news on Tencent adapting the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

discoukulele posted:

Also where the gently caress is the season 2 announcement?

At this point I'm kind of doubting it's coming. The series hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and subsequent seasons will only be more expensive and alienating to viewers. Netflix is probably weighing up wether it's worth it and coming to the conclusion it isn't.