Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i'm getting storm of swords flashbacks. where some of the Good stuff is going to take a while to get to, and there is this feeling of trigger-happy tension where th show just wants to quickly get to it. i love them all but its pretty common sentiment that book 2 is the best, which means this ISN'T going to be cancelled but will have a less energetic/funded season 3/book 3 unless it picks up a fandom a la a GoT. i love this series and wish everybody involved in this production all the best for a successful show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Not having read Storm of Swords, what did they do different to the adaptation
they do things differently but I'm alluding to the red wedding and how SoS is seen as the best got novel. not really thinking about how they adapt it to be different

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is going to be some 2nd book stuff in the first season right? They won't be able to help themselves rushing into the goooood stufff

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Most of the negative reviews comment on the flat, two-dimensional characters
so its true to the books : p

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The subreddit is calling this the coming broadcast era which i find funny. ETA: 2 hours ish ish????

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah from recollection, the first part of the first book was a slow burn. Ideally, so would the tv show but my god I understand the need to cater to 2024+ attention spans.

E1 stars were cool. On to e2!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

god this show is just racing through the material. again, this makes sense in some ways. but i kind of wish it would slow down and do things like - i don' t know - actually demonstrate the 3 body problem to the audience. its glossed over like some lore or brute fact of the alien system rather than a universal actual puzzle in physics. also, the big reveals/oh-my-god moments in the novel are pushed through so quickly on this show.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm loving how much they spent on licencing pop songs

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I like the heart this show has. I don't like how it treats science like magic when it's stuff that can be explained.

e: also lol at them learning of the Wow! signal, how do you not know of this already your whole agency is funded to investigate potential alien signals. I can't tell how much of this is being a bookreader but it feels like every character is an audience surrogate.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whelp, now I'm going to reread all three books. I remember racing through them during the first lockdown.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

isaboo posted:

Finished it, liked it a lot, want to see more right now.

How far did the show go in relation to the books?
It hits the main beats. It's funny to watch them skip through a giant scifi tome to fit it into an 8 episodes netflix show. A lot of tension build and release in the novel (plot twist, mystery box reveals) is glossed over in the show as a single line of exposition. Which makes sense but it kind of a burn on the book readers for expecting the same emotional resonance. Consensus is that the show has way, way more heart because it actually centres the characters/character growth. Whereas the books are more like golden age scifi with the characters there just to have facilitate Cool Scifi Ideas a l a Greg Egan or whatever. It's like greg egan light. bring on the greg egan anthology series netflix! : p butcher that one!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this would make a grand voice cast audiobook. It could be abridged, but the constant exposition and length of text feels better adapted to something that's 20 hours instead of 8.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

D-Pad posted:

very disappointed at what amounted to a very dumb person's idea of hard sci-fi riddled with poo poo that falls apart with the smallest application of logic. I feel like a large part of the books original success was the novelty of a chinese sci-fi epic, it wasn't outright bad but didn't deserve the pedestal it was placed on imo.
Who said it was hard sci fi in the first place?? Surely, it, like most sci fi and like most good sci fi, falls apart when you apply certain logics to it. I feel like 3bp is a bit above falling apart with the smallest application of logic because would that mean it has no logic to it? I feel like it's got a bit of logic to it?? And of course it falls apart! It's sci fi! Everything falls apart because it's dramatized fiction. Name a tv show or book that doesn't fall apart when you apply certain real-world logic to it. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride :cool:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I liked Saul from the start because I also like to smoke weed and drop acid :2bong:

It’s soft sci-fi pretending to be hard sci-fi
egh i disagree. I think its soft sci fi not pretending to be anything but.

i guess this is just semantics and categories which are headcanon and subjective so meh who cares

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hey! If I'm a fan of the books+dramatisations of 3bd, What is some good hard sci fi to read?
Sans Greg Egan, Culture series (apologies if its not *actually* really hard sci fi), blindsight.

:)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I can't help but feel any criticism along the lines of "a 10 year old could write this" feels like somebody pointing to some contemporary abstract art in a gallery and saying "a 10 year old could draw this. i could draw this."

Then why haven't you and made bank? Do it. Somebody itt write the next 3bp with all its lovely logic and plot holes.

: p

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't read Dune but notice a similar feeling that the Dune nerds on dune youtube have within me with 3bp. The adaption gives us the big story beats but they don't resonate as much.

Because there isn't thousands of sentences backing up why drinking the blue spice is so profound or why the wallfacers are so interesting. I don't know - i do think in 3bp's case you are watching them wretch a very lengthy sci if series written by/for/within the Chinese cultural context of 2005 into the factory that is netflix content. And they are trying to hit the Cool bits as quickly as they can so it's cool for new viewers. They know, like some alien species with three suns in their sky, that best case scenario they have a very limited half life.

S1 of GoT was literally them making it down the king's road and then mucking about in the palace before the 1 (one) big plot twist of the show. Imagine of they tried to fit in the red wedding in S1 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love this book series because the author clearly thought of some dumb and cool sci fi ideas and then proceeded to string them together into a novel series that blew up. It reminds me of golden age sci fi where the author clearly has pasted together a bunch of previously published short stories into a novel. But god drat I cannot remember the terminology for doing that. 3bp is like that the whole way through. And I unironically enjoy that sort of sci fi.