Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

1. The real reason is that the books were written two decades ago when our ability to detect exoplanets was pretty bad and the whole topic wasn't very publicized in pop science media. There is a later retconned in-universe reason revealed in the second book, but it's a major spoiler.

2. In context of the first book: IIRC they just didn't know about earth, but once they knew they deduced that it's in the habitable zone. They were also in communication with the ETO, so they could have just asked what the environmental conditions are. And the fleet can be turned around easily and quickly, if it needs to. It wasn't such a huge gamble. The second book reveals another reason, but that's spoiler again.

I've read the books a while ago but I don't seem to remember the spoilers you talk about, can you clarify?
EDIT: if it's against the rules of this thread to ask about the books, please ignore me, I don't want to get probated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

uXs posted:

Apparently yeah, if the bodies are too small they can be disregarded. Like if you have a planet and its small moon, it behaves (close enough) as just one body.

At least that's what I got from this video with Neil deGrasse Tyson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfIDwwxfsM

Most of engineering is looking at a complex equation and removing 3/4 of it because it's so small it will have no discernable effect on the result.