Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

"A fateful decision in 1960s China echoes across space and time to a group of scientists in the present, forcing them to face humanity's greatest threat."

Netflix is releasing their adaptation of The Three Body Problem, the first book in Cixin Liu's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy, on 3/21/24. It's a blend of mind-bending science and cosmic horror. This version is by the team behind Game of Thrones and features several cast members from that series.

I'm a huge fan of the books and I'm pretty hopeful about this version, especially with the release of the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogSbMD6EcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lj99Uz1d50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Tencent released the Chinese TV version earlier in 2023, with plans to release the sequel, The Dark Forest, in 2025, as well as a spin-off about Da Shi. It's very well done and faithful to the source material, but quite a bit bloated at 30 episodes. It's available on Amazon Prime and YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqK2oDPzfx4

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Updog Scully posted:

Actually, before we proceed with discussion, are the aliums a spoiler? I mean, they form a core part of the mystery so I'd think they are, but they're so so obvious and it seems that everyone knows about them before reading the books. Netflix's marketing is committed to the borderline impossible task of hiding that it's an alien invasion story.

Yeah, I mean, they're being pretty upfront with that reveal it seems. :shrug: but I'm probably going to lean a little bit on the keep-spoilers-spoilers end.

I was a bit on the fence about the project until this most recent trailer. They're obviously taking huge liberties, but I think it might be for the better (and Cixin Liu signed off on it). As long as they hit the major plot points it should be awesome, and it looks like they're already weaving in stuff from the other two books.

e: also just wanna add, for anyone who hasn't seen read it, I definitely recommend going in blind as well. I watched the Tencent series before reading the first book, so all of the reveals ended up being wild.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 10, 2024

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
gently caress yeah, Ramin Djawadi confirmed as the ost composer :sickos:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
glowing tweet from an SXSW organizer who has seen at least some of it (it's going to premiere at SXSW)

https://twitter.com/peterhallhuman/status/1745175795385913519

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, it seems like -

Auggie Salazar (Eiza Gonzalez) is Wang Miao
Jin Cheng (Jess Hong) is Cheng Xin and also the Three Body game bits of Wang Miao
Raj Varma (Saamer Usami) is Zhang Beihai
Saul Durant (Jovan Adepo) is Luo Ji
Will Downing (Alex Sharp) is Yun Tianming
Jack Rooney (John Bradley) is Yun Tianming's friend who started the drink business and gave him the money for the star

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Episode titles have been revealed -

1. Countdown
2. Red Coast
3. Destroyer of Worlds
4.Our Lord
5. Judgment Day
6. The Stars Our Destination
7. Only Advance
8. Wallfacer

So we're definitely getting into book 2 stuff.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Fister Roboto posted:

No love for the minecraft adaptation, huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14INFFQPrfo

They got a massive increase to their CGI later on, but kept the minecraft characters lol. The (major book 2 spoilers) droplet attackis actually really well done. It's kinda shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EagvJ64VW0

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
the final trailer dropped. it looks incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

They're doing the world premiere tomorrow night in my city, and I managed to get some standby tickets, so fingers-crossed I might get in. :holy:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Love that they’re able to put together images like the row of lamps or the suicide in the neutrino detector facility

How many episodes are in the theatrical premiere?

I think they're only doing one + a Q&A at the premiere, and some Alamo Drafthouses are showing the first two episodes on the 18th, a couple of days before it actually comes out.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Lampsacus posted:

There is going to be some 2nd book stuff in the first season right? They won't be able to help themselves rushing into the goooood stufff

It's basically the first book, but with things from all three books added in

book spoilers - they're doing all of the Common Era stuff from all three books that technically happened around the same time anyways

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I got into the premiere! And they gave out the VR helmets, too!

I'm a huge fan of the books, and I loved the first episode. All of the scenes during the cultural revolution are very well done, and the actress who plays young Ye Wenjie is fantastic. The modern era stuff is very different from the books, but it still keeps all of the important components.

I can definitely see this adaptation being a bit divisive, especially for anyone wanting a purely faithful adaptation, but it's certainly a lot more fun and engaging than the Tencent series.

Just going off of this first episode, I would probably objectively rate it somewhere between a solid B+ or A-, but I'm extremely hyped about where it's going and how they're handling it.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
3 more days!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm really digging it so far. It's just really fun and pulpier than the source material. I'm also really surprised that we already got to the pacifist message and Wenjie's response in episode 2.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Finished. Felt like kind of an anticlimactic part of the story to end on. Might’ve been better to end where book 1 ended and given everything a little more breathing room.

Overall pretty good

I haven't finished it yet, but this has been a minor concern for me. But at least presumably we could hit the ground running in season 2 then :shrug:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Finished the season. It owns. I love how much more heart and emotion this version added to the story, especially in the second half.

The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is that we didn't see the Pacifist's story. That's one of my favorite segments in the first book.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

isaboo posted:

Finished it, liked it a lot, want to see more right now.

How far did the show go in relation to the books?

show spoilers (just in case) - Episode 5 is basically the end of the first book. The last three episodes blend together the first couple of chapters from books 2 and 3; mostly the setup stuff. They mixed in elements from all three books that happen around the same time.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
The Verge just released their headset review -
https://www.theverge.com/24108802/3-body-problem-vr-headset-review

tl;dr - amazing technology, but it's hard to justify getting one since there's only one game available right now (if you can even find one)

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Lampsacus posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this would make a grand voice cast audiobook. It could be abridged, but the constant exposition and length of text feels better adapted to something that's 20 hours instead of 8.

The new edition of the audiobook is narrated by Rosalind Chao, which is kinda fun

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Cimber posted:

Just finished the series, and I have questions, oh so many questions

1) How did she communicate with them in Chinese in the 1970s to tell them to come and save humanity? That would imply they already knew Chinese and knew which characters she was sending. Wouldn't that imply the Sophons were already on earth?

2) For that matter, how do we know they are indeed coming?

3) Who is Willis and how does he have so much power? What org does he work with within the UK government? Was he lying when he said he wasn't MI5?

4) How do we know the aliens are harmful? They claim that they are coming to take over the planet, but...are they actually? All we know about them is what they tell us

5) Why would they stop scientists from working and then let them start again, like the lady making the nanofibers? I understand that they are 'afraid' that humanity might surpass them in 400 years, but a) Why would they start letting scientists work again, and b) Wouldn't they be able to just take whatever tech we develop and use it themselves as soon as we make it? They after all can spy on us, right?

Based on all this, I've come to wonder if they are really a threat to humanity after all. I'm starting to think that instead of being an actual threat, they are posing as a threat to get humanity off its rear end and innovate. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. They are making themselves look like the big bads so humanity has a common enemy to unite against, we develop technologies to get us off the earth and into the cosmos. I also wonder if they are not already on earth and have been for some time, observing us and seeing that we are not able to save ourselves.

1) They left this part out in the TV show, but the message that Earth sent included a self-translating code that anyone with a basic understanding of algebra could crack.
2) We know that they're coming because of their subsequent communications of Mike Evan's group
3) I think you mean Wade; he's part of a secret international organization supported by multiple governments. They might get into it more later.
4) They can only tell us the truth, and they've told us that they want to disarm us and conquer our planet
5) They allowed Auggie to start her work again because they wanted to throw Mike Evans and his group under the bus. The conversation they had with Mike where they start to understand the concept of deceit made them worried that they had already revealed too much, so they cut off contact with him and purposefully let Wade's coalition massacre them.

edit to add on #5 - they're already more advanced than us, so they don't need to steal any of our tech anyways. They just don't want us to surpass them in the 400 years it'll take for them to get here.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 24, 2024

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Cimber posted:

Thanks. I hate overthinking a book and then wondering if its a plot hole or a really subtle clue of real intentions.

ok, next thing
How do we know the aliens tried to kill Saul? Because Wade told us so? Why do we trust him to tell the truth.

Wade assigned Clarence to provide 24/7 security to Saul after that, so it probably wasn't him.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder why they (Book spoiler / last episode spoiler) trimmed down the amount of Wallfacers by one. Will they completely block the plot thread of the missing person? Honestly, that part of the book was a bit weird and it's probably an appropriate place to cut something.

I'm really curious about that, too. Its one of the weirder subplots, but it's also kind of important for the way other things unfold eventually.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

A talking coyote posted:

I might be misremembering but I know the wallfacer who makes the computer that alters your reality or whatever never really impacts anything much. The book keeps foreshadowing that a large group of people are going to end up being sleeper agents and then it just doesn’t happen. The other two projects fail but end up being woven into Lou Ji’s eventual deterrence plan.

it's not super important, but the paranoia plays a role even though the big sleeper agent thing never really happens. Zheng Beihai (presumably Raj) is able to take over the Natural Selection because he's from an era before the mind seal so they know he isn't one of them.

But yeah, I don't think it would really harm the story that much to remove it.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Hollismason posted:

I'm really enjoying this. Watched the first 2 episodes and love the We can not save ourselves. I will help you conquer.

Ye Wenjie did nothing wrong :hai:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
good lord, the DEI takes on this show are godawful (I've seen a few on twitter, too). Saul Durand is not a diversity hire ffs. Read the books or wait til season 2 if it happens.

I'm about to go re-watch episode 5 with some friends who haven't seen it yet and haven't read the books :sickos:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
iirc (book spoilers) Saul / Luo Ji is targeted by an autonomous vehicle in the future, but it was hacked by a Trisolaran sympathizer

But they really do need to figure out how to explain away that sophons can't just gently caress around with electronics at will. That's going to leave some huge plot holes.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
He's where his book character is at at this point in the story. "Why tf did they pick this dude?" is a big plot point.

Ye Wenjie shared something important to him in the form of a joke during their last meeting. He doesn't realize that he's got a huge piece of the puzzle, but the San Ti figured it out by watching what Ye Wenjie studied before their meeting and putting the pieces together.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

bawfuls posted:

Didn't they have a more extended conversation in the books than what was depicted in the show? Like she tells him directly to study "cosmic sociology" and gives him a set of axioms to ponder.

yeah it's much more explicit in the book

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Rewatching

Ep 8 they leave it open ended who hacked the cars to kill Saul, it could’ve easily been an ETO operative

E S* O

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Also, I got to watch ep 5 with some n00b friends tonight and goddamn for all of my (relatively small) issues with this adaptation, it still slaps.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

You haven’t read 3 Body Problem until you’ve read it in the original English

I have the official ETO badge on my bag so allegedly I'm an official comrade :sickos:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, like, basically (show spoilers, minor book spoilers?)

The show makes the San-Ti seem more like a hivemind, but basically there's no difference between speech and thought to them (they broadcast their literal thoughts to everyone around them), so they don't understand concepts of lying, or metaphor, or symbolic speech. So things like jokes and stories are one of our greatest strenghts.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Someday decades from now there will be a remake that’s 13-20 episodes per season and it will feel just right

I'm super curious about this new Anniversary edit of the Tencent version. It's like 26 episodes, I think? And apparently they trimmed a lot of the additional subplots that just don't really work. I'm hoping it'll flow better. I still love the Tencent version, and it'll always have a special place in my heart, though; it was my first full experience with the story (I'd started the first book but just kinda fallen off like I tend to do with books), and I binged it while I was sick with COVID. So watching it while I was in-and-out of fever dreams was definitely an experience.

But also, what an amazing time to be a fan since we have the literal-to-a-fault Chinese series and the fun, popcorn Hollywood-ish version going on at the same time.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Tarnop posted:

I guess? I mean all that stuff where they ask if they can speak to the big bad wolf right now and they think it's a record of actual events is 100% a creation of the show. Mike Evans says he's going to tell them a story to help him understand why they don't get the concept of lying and they don't say "what's a story". They just don't understand why the wolf speaks to the person he's going to eat, because for them doing that would also communicate that he's the wolf and not grandma.

In the sophon creation chapter their chief scientist says "The sphere is only the projection of the sophon's body into 3d space. It is in fact a giant in 4 space and our world is like a thin 3d sheet of paper. The giant stands on this sheet of paper and we can see only the trace where it's feet touch the paper". That sounds like metaphor to me

Oh sure that makes sense. There's just a lot of double-speak and not-explicitly-saying-what-i-mean stuff coming that I oversimplified it.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I also get the impression that since one of the first things they heard from us is that we're not capable of solving our own problems, it led them to believe that we're defeatists and that it would be easy to demoralize us if the sophons didn't work. So going mask off is part of the psychological warfare.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I heard a rumor somewhere (can't remember where so I have no idea where to start looking again) that the showrunners would like to do a weekly format for any future seasons if it gets renewed.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I thought they had, but maybe they've only done the part 1 / part 2 release model for seasons like with Stranger Things.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
There's still another Crisis Era plot point the cringe imaginary girlfriend subplot :stonk: that hopefully they just skip over

edit: but we do also have to see the failures of the other Wallfacers before the droplet shows up

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
My ideal situation would be that they don't do it, but they give some kinda easter egg wink to the book fans

Da Shi: Ya know, with all the money in the world at your disposal, you could get the perfect woman
Saul: What the gently caress? Why would you say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Tainen posted:

I might be getting my characters mixed up but isn’t that character Saul now. They replaced that part from the books with the relationship he has with Aggie or at least that is what I assume they are doing.

Yep, but Saul appears to be back on the market now that Auggie has left the country :dance: