Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Maybe, but she's looking good for being 80+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Does nobody answer their phones? So triggered right now.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
3 Body Problem - Space is big.

So, the aliens just had a fleet lying around ready? And they had not already found a destination to send it to?

Bit sus.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's a big gamble considering their immediate problem.

I thought n body problems had been (sort of) solved via brute force iteration? You would think a species that had quantum tech would find it trivial via annealing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

There is a Chinese tv adaptation. It's on YouTube.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
OK Tom.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They can have Mars, we aren't using it. Something for everybody.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So, Wallfacers are straight out of Granny Weatherwax's big book on how to stop an alien invasion.

Love it. Don't think about the game.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I had thought the point of the wallfacers was to induce the San ti into thinking the were super important and that they never reveal what it is that they are doing. Which would be nothing. But the San ti don't know that. It should drive them wild, and suck up the attention of the sophons.

This isn't the case?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

No, all the Wallfacers cook up elaborate plans that require huge investments of resources and eventually fail, some of them due to being revealed by the "Wallbreakers" assigned by the ETO whose jobs are to figure out what each Wallfacer is doing.

Each failed plan reveals some new aspect of strategic thought that are theoretical solutions to the problem of aliens coming to kill you in 400 years, and Luo Ji (Saul) eventually implements a plan that very closely resembles one of the failed plans. Although one of the other plans starts a chain of events that result in kind of a loose end in the whole series that you could read as a qualified success based on what happens in the very very end.

Humpf I thought they were being clever. Disappointing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That's a bit meta, sorry.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The space time curve is already there, though? I was under the impression it was the curve that determines the movement of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I find dynamical systems (and the associated chaos) fascinating. In the end only brute force iterative solutions come close to modelling n body. Without knowing all the interacting factors (which we dont) the best we can do is a best fit. Kind of like predicting the weather.

The star system of the San-Ti would never have produced its own planets, so I guess their homeworld must have been a captured stellar wanderer?