Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

discoukulele posted:

e: also just wanna add, for anyone who hasn't seen read it, I definitely recommend going in blind as well. I watched the Tencent series before reading the first book, so all of the reveals ended up being wild.

So unbookmark the thread immediately is what you're saying? I can count the number of TV IV book adaptation threads that aren't full of goons posting nudge-nudge wink-wink spoilers on no hands. This one made it 24 hours. See you guys in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Steve Yun posted:

They’re re-ethnicitizing like 2/3 of the characters, but to various races, so maybe graywashing

Well as long as we can still be outraged about it, that's what we're all here for.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The stuff D&D added to season 1 were hands down some of the best scenes in the show. I mean, I assumed D&D added them, they weren't in the books. Maybe GRRM came up with them long after publishing the first book and passed them along? It's always baffled me that the same people who came up with scenes like "War Stories" and "Sometimes I don't know what holds [the kingdoms] together. Our marriage ROFL" were the same ones that came up with season 8.

Actually on second thought, I guess for every War Stories there's a Play with her rear end! so it was always hit or miss, but they are at least capable of sprinkling some good stuff to a story.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ninurta posted:

Fash Gordon

Punch him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wasn't planning on binging it, but it was really good so I kept watching it.

I don't really understand the alien's timeline or motivations though. Glancing through some of the spoilers in the thread, it sounds like a lot of them are just changes from the book, but the show is on my mind so I'm going to write a wall of text about it anyways.

1. So these guys need to get off their planet because the three suns requires everyone to go into stasis, hosed up their cultural progress, and will eventually destroy the planet. Okay, sure. But in that case why are they sitting on their thumbs waiting for the dumb apes nearby to send them a hello world message? Even with out paltry technology we've detected thousands of exoplanets and are on the verge of analyzing the atmospheres around some of them. Wouldn't it be way easier to just find a suitable uninhabited planet to go to? Gotta be cheaper than using up all the remaining resources of your civilization to build 11 dimensional supercomputers to keep the locals in check.

2. What about our message made them think this planet would be suitable for them to inhabit anyways? Does Earth have the right atmosphere? Temperature range? Solar radiation? Gravity? If they could detect this information before receiving our message, why hadn't they already learned that and already on their way?

3. Was the fleet built and ready to go? Building 1000 ships and having them just wait around in orbit until aliens contact you seems like a pretty insane thing to do, especially when they're even more at risk from the suns up there than everyone on the surface.

4. Was Project Staircase the same in the book? I don't see how detonating a nuke a few meters away from the probe isn't going to vaporize it. Based on the little animations, the detonation happens so close it's between the solar sheet and the probe itself, wouldn't that force the sheet forward and the probe backwards? Even if it didn't vaporize, the extreme stress of that kind of acceleration is obviously going to tear the whole thing apart, which it did.

5. Why did they call us bugs? Not why do they think we're bugs, that makes sense, but why reveal yourself and communicate in any way after cutting ties with the cult? If they never spoke to us again after learning about lying, we'd all go back to idly brutalizing each other and being lazy and complacent. Sure a few people know, and the hard drive exists, but it's gonna be a lot harder to get everyone to believe and work together with just that limited evidence. Instead they managed to galvanize the entire race into working against them.

I was gonna ask about the Pacifist keeping secrets, but that seems to have already been answered previously in spoilers. Same thing for why they spent all their resources building spies to come watch us before learning about/freaking out about the concept of lying.

There were a few other minor quibbles, but I enjoyed the show so much that they didn't bother me, and they feel really nitpicky; First, has life on this planet had the ability to go into stasis since the earliest, most primitive incarnations? And then that trait remained through the entire evolutionary process? I can see complex intelligent organisms doing that, but the first single celled (or equivalent) life feels like a stretch. The second one is, I'd have loved to see the other players in the game setting up their 'solution'. "Okay Great Khan, first we need 13 million soldiers, here where is where they all need to precisely stand. Don't worry I mapped all this out ahead of time. Now they each need a little sign, and then flip the signs back and forth..." They'd be boiled alive for sure. Finally, what was on Ser Davos' ID? It had to be some organization a Royal Naval Captain would be familiar with, so not some unknown secret group. Seems like the sort of thing you'd want to confirm rather than just glancing at a badge, but that would ruin the flow of the scene so that gets a pass.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I understand that gravity's effect is reduced by an inverse square of distance, but it's also technically without limit right? So really if you're calculating anything out, say, the movement of the Earth and moon to predict an eclipse, it's always a several body problem, even if most of those objects (the other planets in the system) are having very, very minor impacts. Is that not correct? Are the effects of other bodies in the system so minor as to be completely disregarded, even calculating far into the future? Even if you ignore everything else, something as straight forward as predicting the movements of the moon would be a three body problem, since you have the moon, the earth, and the sun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pattonesque posted:

watching this right now and Davos Seaworth is worried that an assault on the Judgment Day could lead to heavy casualties and potentially damage the data they're looking for. So instead they ... slice everybody in half with enormously complex nanofibers and just hope said nanofibers miss the data core?

I haven't read the book, but just picking up stuff from the thread, the reason they did it that way was because if the drive was cut by a nanofiber, it would be such a clean cut you could put the pieces back together and stuff recover the data. The show's decision to leave that bit out does make it seem like an overly complex super villain way to destroy a ship.

The argument used in the show is that they needed something that would disable the crew so fast they couldn't react or destroy the data, which doesn't make sense, because Jonathan Price was still able to get to the drive, and no doubt could have destroyed or erased it if he wanted to, instead he took it for a walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah I enjoyed watching this, but afterwards when I stopped and thought about it there were a bunch of huge plot holes I've since learned, mostly from this thread, were handled much better in the book. The show should stand on it's own better. If I want more 3 Body Problem I'll just read the books instead.

Also all you science nerds, I know the whole "can quantum entanglement transmit data faster than the speed of light" thing got talked about a ton, but is there any basis in reality for using a star to amplify radio signals like in the show, or is that entirely invented for this story?