Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I like this adaptation. I see why they introduce several characters from books 2 and 3 in this season, although it makes the world feel smaller. There are definitely some changes I disliked, such as the San-Ti not understanding fiction, and Ye's conversation in the graveyard.

The big issue was making the sophons seem too powerful, which raises the question of why they aren't simply knocking planes out of the sky. In the first book, we see why the Trisolarans aren't going all-out with sophon attacks. They're pretty sure their fleet can defeat humanity, but also preparing for the possibility that they'll lose, so their plan B is to fight the war fairly and beg for mercy if they have to surrender. In the second book, As Earth develops advanced technology and builds an enormous fleet of space warships, there's a faction that wants to let the Trisolarans settle peacefully on Mars.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cryomancer posted:

So, they don't understand metaphor, but they're capable of using simile? "Y'all are BUGS!"

That happened after Evans used the "pest" metaphor.

The San-Ti are biologically incapable of lying in their natural means of communication, but they can still use metaphors while using English.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What I assumed was that they wanted a way to kill everyone on board in such a surprising way that they would not have time to wipe their drives or really do anything to safeguard their data.

Yeah. Bombs might have destroyed the hard drive, and a raid might have caused the ETO (ESO?) to destroy the hard drives themselves. The show version made it happen slowly enough that Evans could have destroyed the drive if he realized he was under attack by humans. Maybe he assumed the apparently supernatural force killing everyone was the San-Ti.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shneak posted:

I finished the season this weekend and I'll totally watch S2 but I'm not interested enough to pick up the books in the meantime.

Let me get this straight: the aliens became hostile when Mike read them Little Red Robin Hood and they realized the concept of lying but weren't they already tricking scientists into believing science was broken? Isn't that an act of lying itself? Hilarious trigger for an interstellar war though.

No. The aliens were already planning to invade and conquer Earth; Mike Evans and his group were a bunch of willing collaborators. The aliens realized that humans can lie and decided not to trust the collaborators.

quote:

(Wallfacers) Are the Wallfacers supposed to make sense at this point for a non book reader because lmao

In the second book, the Wallfacers initiative is introduced after a few other plans have been discussed and shot down, or tried and failed. The Wallfacer Initiative is controversial and seems like a desperation move.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 1, 2024