Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just to answer all the people asking why the siphon can’t stay unfolded and block out the sun: it’s because when it’s unfolded it’s easy to destroy by just blowing holes in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

swamp thong posted:

no idea what a 3 body problem but going into this with no clue what it's about made the first few episodes very enjoyable, once the details of the setting are bared it seems like there's not much left to do.

I probably wouldn't watch another season with the same characters, I'd prefer they hit the fast forward button on time.

I won’t say too much but, well, we have such things to show you

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ll be watching this show for Benedict Wong, Liam Cunningham, and visualisations of some of the best sequences from one of my favourite works of fiction and that’s about it. The Oxford Five are irritating, especially Auggie. Her character is written and acted terribly. Overall I’m looking forward to cool sequences in the hopefully coming series but D&D have already shown they’ve learnt nothing from GoT.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The more I think about this adaptation the less I like what the writers have done with it. There’s almost no palpable sense of dread when THE STARS START GOING OUT and A REFLECTIVE SHEET UNFOLDS ACROSS THE ENTIRE PLANET AND STARES DIRECTLY AT EVERY INDIVIDUAL. In the books there’s a real sense of crisis, and the world being totally turned upside down. In this it’s like, one guy hung himself near the Thames and there were some riots.

I think that’s what I’m missing. The sheer existential dread and horror of it all. In the books it’s positively Lovecraftian.

E: like if every screen in the world shows a message from aliens who recently made the universe flicker for everyone in the world, it should be like Threads, not a quite unsettling bit of news you can essentially ignore if you like.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I don’t know how you make the universe flickering into a pedestrian event but they managed it somehow.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't remember if it happens in the book but the sky getting brighter and then flickering didn't help, as it meant the sky already looked fake before the event, so the entire thing lost any impact.

Yeah I think this was part of it. It already looked like a planetarium. I get the feeling that D&D fundamentally don’t understand how visual language works.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Will’s such a little bitch I’m surprised his pancreas didn’t revolt against him sooner

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

I know at least two people that were still pining after their college crush in the friendship circle at age 30 (I had the decency to stop at age 24 at least). Will is the most realistic character on the show lol

This is true. Nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I’m still laughing about the main character being a nanofiber guy and the whole operation revolved around that

SPY BOSS: The leader of the bad guys has hidden his top secret plan to blow up the world inside his shoe. The shoe is rigged to self destruct if the stitches are ripped in the wrong way

(Spy Boss turns to the greatest shoe cobbler in the world, who is also the main character)

Are you… complaining that the main character has something to do with the central plot? Are you under the impression that all fiction up to this point has just been very fortunate that when they randomly selected a main character from their universe, it just so happened to be someone relevant to the story they were hoping to tell?