Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes, for all that I loved the books, the depth of characterization was never one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It sounds like the show is fun. I'm gonna watch the first episode during a flight later today. Looking forward to it!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Collateral posted:

Does nobody answer their phones? So triggered right now.

Nope, that's not a thing anymore these days. If it was urgent they would have sent a private message over tiktok.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
3 Body Problem - You ate dirt?

I'm having a blast so far. They really improved on the weaknesses of the books.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So far, I've seen up to episode 6. The characters are soo much better than the ones in the books. Especially the MC of book 3 was the wettest of blankets and was pretty much only a passive observer.

Honestly, the books really weren't good at characters.
But maybe that's just the cultural difference.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Does anyone know why Rosamund Pike is a producer on this? She's not in any episodes and doesn't seem to be involved in the production at all as far as I can tell.

You could ask the same about Brad Pitt.
I guess they just decided to buy the rights together and financed some things because they wanted their name listed as producer .

Producer is such a stupid term. It can mean that you gave a bit of money and were never involved, or it can mean that you personally supervised every process down to the cleaning of the set toilets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You should watch minute 43 several times. There's a bunch of hidden stuff there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

isaboo posted:

I'm halfway through and enjoying it.

It's a minor thing I guess but did I miss something or is it explained how Evans can talk to the aliens in real time with no lag?

You're not supposed to know at that time.
It basically gets explained by the end of episode 5. They're not directly saying "And this is how they communicated with Evans" but you can infer it at that point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DrHammond posted:

Nah that ain't the state of the art.

That's what they want you to think.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

I'm not a scientist but part of me thinks if they could do that already then the 3 body problem wouldn't be an issue at all.

Weirdly enough, this magic Sophon science may not be enough to prevent or even predict the chaotic state of their world.
They barely have any mass, so they wont affect the sun's and planets rotation. folded open, they may block some starlight, but I doubt they could stop solar radiation. Turning off the sun during the day would have been a way more impressive display of might.
And even with some ultrafast supercomputer which makes precise measurements with lightspeed, you wont find a long term solution for a three body problem. The whole deal with that (even if it's not really explained in this show) is that it is a continuous chaotic system which is highly highly highly dependent on the precise input. So you have no chance to find the correct development unless you know the EXACT position and acceleration of every single atom in this solar system. In theory a singular proton could eventually destabilize such a calculation. Plus there's quantum bullshit, so you're not able to make really precise measurements anyway.
Presumably, by this point they built shelter which is really stable, but one of the really awful constellations might still reset them. Worst case: The planet actually falls into the gravity well of a sun at some point.

Mantle posted:

It's based in a current theory, but I don't believe that "long distance" has been tested at the scale shown in 3 Body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant...rge%20distance.

Quantum entanglement is weird. While two particles can be synched together and share their state instantly, independent of the distance, according to the current knowledge of quantum mechanics, it is completely impossible to sent any kind of information this way, so you wont be able to use it for communication.
In fact you can show that faster than light communications is quasi-equivalent to time travel and breaks causality.

Basically what happens there is you have two particles A and B, which have the undefined state X. When you actually examine it and the quantum state X breaks down, it can either be 1 or 0. Now with quantum stuff you can manipulate these particles, so that they share the X.
P(X_A = X_B) = 1.
So if someone looks at particle A, gets a 1, you will also get a 1 in particle B. But the thing is, you have no idea if the other person already examined particle A. If you are lightyears away and check out your particle B, you might get a 0, but you can't tell if that's the same 0 the other person found or a fresh one you just created. So you did not gain any information whatsoever.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 23, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i mean that sounds like communication? Can I pay my rent in half coins?

See my post on the previous page. I edited it a bit to explain that stuff as far as I understand it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mean, yes. It's science fiction. While that seems like total magic, it's not the most ridiculous idea of that genre. It's quasi pure fantasy, but it's a really cool concept and it's interesting and fun to explore that so I'm perfectly willing to accept it as the premise of the story.

It does have a little bit of a scientific basis though. String theory expects that there are 6 higher spatial dimensions. So maybe you could be able to unfold that?

On the other hand, various mechanics imply that 3 dimensions (plus time) is all there is. At least we don't seem to interact with the other stuff. For example if the sun had a hidden fourth dimension, the stuff which is just barely of outside of 3-dimensional plane would also have a gravitational pull and would basically drive us towards our sun. In that case gravitation would grow by a factor r^4 rather than r^3 as typically observed.

So if there are more dimensions, we live on a 3 dimensional plane and are only affected by those three dimensional objects on out plane. So unless there's stuff which transcends our boring objects and exists in higher planes, the idea of higher dimensions is moot.

There's also the (to me stupid) idea of thin dimensions. Basically that just means that the fourth and higher dimensions exists, but are so thin that they have no measurable influence. So gravity would still scale cubically, just because there isn't much happening in the fourth plane.

Incidentally, I think I looked up a lot of this theoretical physics stuff when I read those books for the first time. There are some interesting mind experiments in there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 23, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I wonder why they (Book spoiler / last episode spoiler) trimmed down the amount of Wallfacers by one. Will they completely block the plot thread of the missing person? Honestly, that part of the book was a bit weird and it's probably an appropriate place to cut something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what happened between episode 5 and 6? The alien supercomputer just … disappeared?

Huh? There was no indication that any of that would be going away.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Can you run Doom on it though?

Yes. Technically. The user interface and the processing times would be a nightmare though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The most unrealistic part is that there’s no faction denying the aliens exist and no faction trying to gently caress the Eye in the Sky.

There are plenty alien thruthers in the books. Like the opposite kind of the ones we have.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
They are capable of learning new things.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if she was told to look at the sky at midnight and she saw nothing because the light pollution blocked out all the stars and she missed the blinking.

The aliens forgot to check the weather and it's just dense fog and clouds around there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

OK, I thought that might be the case but I wasn’t sure if it was just supposed to be another illusion or if showing it meant it was real.

The whole idea of that operation was that the San-Ti would willingly pick up this brain shuttle in order to study it and maybe revive it.
He's a weird kind of interstellar ambassador.
There's no real point in sabotaging the launch when they could just as well ignore the whole thing and let it sail past into eternal nothingness.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

theres a little dark forest inside all of us

The true Dark Forrest were the friends me made along the way. Or I guess the lack thereof.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

However, unless they were prodigies like Ramanajun, the wallfacers would be at a serious disadvantage compared to most humans.

To be fair, the people they picked are absolutely supposed to be that. I remember in the books The Venezuelan guy, (who is now the Indian woman, I guess) was a complete prodigy at guerilla warfare, beating back insurmountable opponents.
Protagonist guy is the odd one out. The Threesuns made that pick for them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

discoukulele posted:

my favorite bit of CGI is the loving chimp lmfao

Yeah, just film that with a real one. If you have problems with the part where it thaws just shoot that in reverse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mean it looked okay. Some people just have really high expectations for cgi for some reason.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

2. In context of the first book: IIRC they just didn't know about earth, but once they knew they deduced that it's in the habitable zone. They were also in communication with the ETO, so they could have just asked what the environmental conditions are. And the fleet can be turned around easily and quickly, if it needs to. It wasn't such a huge gamble. The second book reveals another reason, but that's spoiler again.

I believe the original space propaganda message also went into a bit more detail about how great earth is (under Chinese rule).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Peter Dinklage will play the concept of four dimensional space. How else would you bring that to screen?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The different bodies in our solar system are indeed chaotic. It's just instable over such a large timescale that it might as well be stable for us.
In chaos theory, there is a term called Lyapunov time. This is basically the time it would take for even the most perfect numerical simulation to turn to poo poo because ridiculously small measuring differences would yield completely different results.

From what I found, this Lyapunov time for the solar system is 5 million years. And even then this paper suggests that there is some order beyond that. The planets will still be on their ellipses. it's more about how much they pull each other towards one another and if they synch up.
https://journals.aps.org/prx/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevX.13.021018

NASA also has a page which details how much uncertainty those eclipse predictions have. It's barely anything on a societal level.
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEcat5/uncertainty.html

If you have three suns with the same cardinality of mass, this chaotic system breaks down into random positions way faster. You won't know where you end up in a year. (Not that this term would really mean a lot in that environment.)

For reference the Lyapunov time for weather reports is about 15 days, so if someone tells you it's going to rain in 4 weeks, they might as well be guessing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 22, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Similarly, gigantic galaxy superclusters don't really affect us in our day to day, since they are far enough away.
Technically, they do, but it's meaningless.

But it gets more complicated if you consider that gravitons can only move with lightspeed. So the earth doesn't rotate around the sun, but around the place the sun was 8 minutes earlier. That detail can also be completely disregarded on those scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is less of a philosophical position, and more that it freaks me the gently caress out to think about wave/particle duality and quarks and bosons, so I like to pretend none of it is real.

But they are real my friend.

In fact, they are right... BEHIND YOU!

Oh no, they're under your skin and in your eyes now. they're in your blood and made their way to your brain!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 22, 2024