Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

I still have the last episode to go but its proved an interesting watch so far. I haven't read the books so I don't have to the reference point of what could have been, but the early mention of the Fermi paradox and Dark Forest hypothesis was a bit of a series spoiler as any one with a passing familiarity could begin piecing it together. I wonder if that's why they almost rushed to that to get the audience thinking that way.

I enjoyed the books a lot, one reason being it does a good job of bread-crumbing the answer to the mystery so that by the time the reader is given the explicit reveal, it's more filling in some gaps and confirming the readers suspicions than it is a big reveal.

So in that way, the adaptation isn't completely off.

But as others have said, the pacing isn't quite right. Reading the book you get a nice slow burn of suspecting more and more, feeling more and more confident in your understanding of what's actually happening. The show kind of gives you those same breadcrumbs, but then quickly slams you into the reveal, so the pacing removes the drama and suspense of figuring it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I think I need to reread the books. I went through the plot summaries on Wikipedia and... Man I forgot about A LOT.

I'm only halfway through the show, kind of excited to see how it handles the wallfacers. I thought they were fun.

E: By way of expanding on Tarnops point- The trisolarian computation engine is introduced and explained in the book in a way that the reader kind of has to sus out "Oh holy poo poo lol they built a Chinese room computer!" which is fun to read through and think about.

In the show Samwell Tarley just blurts out "Oh, like ones and zeros!" and the other protag is immediately like "lol that won't work".

I don't know how you adapt that sequence to film in a way that offers the same experience as reading it, so I can't be overly critical... But it's just not the same.

Double E: Spoiler tags- sorry!

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2024

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Quantum magic yo.

I mean quantum entanglement is a thing, but using it to remotely control an 11th dimensional super computer packed into a folded up subatomic particle at ftl speeds? Nah that ain't the state of the art.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

3 Body Problem Season Three Third Half Part 4

Ah yes the Attack on Titan model.

Spoiler discussion for book readers: Maybe I need to rewatch it but what the hell do you all think Ye Wenjie was trying to communicate to Saul at the graveyard? Seemed like a completely different message than was in the books, don't know how the hell you get "Dark Forest" out of "A joke only understood by two people".

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

If they wanted to adapt the highly problematic wallfacer gets a waifu arc (which they probably just shouldn't), I feel like they have set up some narrative threads with Augie's disillusionment with the whole EDF program, which could develop into a character arc of her and Saul retreating from and resisting the wallfacer program until *insert unnamed event* causes a change of heart.

I'm no writer but I think they could pull an arc like that off without it being terrible.

Or they could just skip the whole thing because even if they did it right it's an unnecessary distraction from where we're heading.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I forget, did the trilogy ever pick up what happened with Will's brain, or was it only the fanfic that went there?

Well whichever it was, as it was presented in the show, Wade was 100% correct, Trisolarians couldn't help but to pick up that juicy brainmeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Also Saul was correct, they tortured the loving poo poo out of him :(