Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just started the first episode. Jesus Christ that first scene was brutal and I was not mentally ready for that. It just looked way too real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Made it through E2. Guess I'll watch just 1 more before bed.

About the first scene in episode 1, yeah I was in a bad mental headspace because I accidentally watched a video from the Moscow mass shooting that wasn't properly censored.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You can entangle a particle and send one particle 10 LY away, and when you look at your particle and measure "1" then you know instantly that the other particle has a measurement of "0".

Problem is, what do you do with information?

The receiver on the other end doesn't know you looked at your particle. So you'd have to send them a message to look, which will have to be sub light speed.

It's impossible to plan ahead of time ie to say "we will both check in 3 years time" because that statement literally doesn't make sense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cimber posted:

So I was joking before, but there is a scene in episode 5 that's pretty squick. I'm not one who gets freaked out by TV gore, but i had to look away during that part.

Lmao episode 5 was hilarious because of how over the top and fake it was. Yeah I still think the opening scene in episode 1 was super hard to watch cause it looked absolutely real.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So what happened between episode 5 and 6? The alien supercomputer just … disappeared?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh? There was no indication that any of that would be going away.

the eye of Mordor thing just disappeared between episodes 5 and 6

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is that big head from Silicon Valley?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need to think about the show cause I just finished it. I've never read the books but I've read various spoilers here and there on the books (from outside this thread).

All I can say so far is that it's too awfully loving convenient that all of the main cast are all friends and also happen to be the most important people alive. Like the world is too big for this to happen.

And who the gently caress is Saul even? I literally can't think of a single thing he did in the show other than smoke weed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm commuting to work now so I've had some time to process:

The whole concept of (eps 8) wallfacers seems really loving dumb. Like, "Oh here are 3 people that we are empowering to do anything and everything needed to defeat you aliens. Anything they need they will get, no questions asked, no justifications needed. If they want a nuclear warhead, we will give it to them. If they want money for hookers and blackjack, and forget the blackjack, then they will get their money. They are the three most important minds we have and will be accountable to nobody. Here are their full names and faces. Surely nobody will take advantage of this fact by seeking out their family. Surely the aliens that can be anywhere and everywhere all at once and are listening right now won't just murder them in any of the million ways that they could manifest to make happen.

It also ignores the fact that one of humanity's strength is language and communication. Being able to work together over long (centuries) periods of time.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 25, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hilario Baldness posted:

He's in charge of the day-to-day liaisons.

Yes he's made himself very perfectly clear.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Some more things that I thought was super lazy:

Whisking people away into hiding in a safe house, but letting them bring their phones with all of their location tracking apps.

Setting up a secret base of operations, with the location being guarded (one of the characters quips about how one of the other characters told another one of the characters the location) but also letting everyone bring their phones in, and also it's not really a secret because a random company was able to deliver the plaque to the secret base.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Their ability to actually physically affect their environment is limited to subatomic manipulation, hence the whole particle accelerator thing.

If they can manipulate "subatomic particles" then why can't they manipulate macroscopic things like electronics (the show shows that they can) or biology (the show shows that they can't)? It literally makes no sense. We are all made up of the same "subatomic particles" (fields, rather).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Here's an easy to digest video on the physics of the actual "three body problem:" what it is and why it's hard to solve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et7XvBenEo8

The TLDW is that the initial conditions are really important and even a tiny difference between two simulations/calculations will result in very different results over long periods of time. This was what that character hinted at on level 3 or 4 of the VR game.

Here is a video on quantum entanglement for FTL communication: why it's not possible. It's a bit more in depth, but the guy's voice is very soothing and I could listen to him all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLqk7uaENAY

I don't know the 1st guy's background, but he makes a lot of easy to digest physics videos for PBS. The 2nd guy is an actual professor/astronomer/scientist, not some random YouTube crank. He also hasn't succumbed to physicist's disease, yet.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 25, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My problem with Saul as a character is that his character is entirely useless to the plot. He doesn't advance the plot, and all the time spent on him has no payoff. I can accept that he's a brilliant scientist without the show having to prove it to me, but like his entire role in the show was just inconsequential.

Maybe if I read the books it would hit differently. But as a show only watcher, the whole idea of a wallfacer is the most idiotic and loving dumbest thing in the world.

Maybe if I read the book this would have been a OH poo poo HERE IT IS moment but the entire scene just fell short.

Why are they broadcasting to the world the full name and image of these people who are being set up some of the most important people in the world? And why are they broadcasting to the world that these guys have a blank check? Geeze, it sure would suck if one of them got kidnapped, or bribed, or even just brown nosed to. Geeze, it would suck if their family got targeted for ransom and the kidnappers asked for one trillion dollars. Geeze, let's give all the power to these 3 people who can't work with a team to figure out a plan. I just don't get it. None of this makes any sense and I can't just ignore it because it seems to be a major thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah anyone who's asking for Saul's credentials while not also asking for Liam Cunningham's character's credentials should look inward and ask themselves why.

When I asked what Saul did in the show, I meant like in general. All of his scenes were not memorable and the only thing I remember is that he smoked weed, dropped acid, and hosed. And then there was the whole big reveal in episode 8 which I already said is the most dumbest loving thing ever.

"Wait 2 years for next season" is also real dumb.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I was pumped for a classic moment where a scientist technobabbles for a bit only to be cut off by another character with, "In English, please!"

Disappointed.

They kinda did this scene in one of the flashbacks with the chalkboard scene.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Just a quick heads up for people since you mentioned the Fermi Paradox: the Wikipedia page for it contains a direct reference to the second book and I would consider it a spoiler, so if anyone is going to Google it, be warned!

For anyone reading this thread who does know what the Fermi paradox is, you kinda spoilered them.

I'm guessing you're referring to the part of the paradox that says other aliens are out there but are smart enough to shut the gently caress up so they don't get invaded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah and they can't pass down generational knowledge so what's the loving point? That was my thought when they were introduced.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Whatever Chamale posted seems to be a much bigger spoiler than someone talking about a Wikipedia article wtf

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When you say the aliens don't understand metaphor, do they understand everything literally? Like if I said "I'm cold" would they say "no you're not, you are 310 Kelvins above 0?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That guys twitter is typical right wing crazy poo poo. Why are you posting this nonsense?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Does that have any bearing on the new lego sets coming out? No? Then gently caress off, aliens.

They keep releasing new Lego sets that are plant themed and I keep buying them but it's an investment I'll pass on to my future kids.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fwiw I watched it on my iPad Pro and the chimp looked very very bad. It looked really fake because it looked too smooth or whatever. A puppet would have been better imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I understand that gravity's effect is reduced by an inverse square of distance, but it's also technically without limit right? So really if you're calculating anything out, say, the movement of the Earth and moon to predict an eclipse, it's always a several body problem, even if most of those objects (the other planets in the system) are having very, very minor impacts. Is that not correct? Are the effects of other bodies in the system so minor as to be completely disregarded, even calculating far into the future? Even if you ignore everything else, something as straight forward as predicting the movements of the moon would be a three body problem, since you have the moon, the earth, and the sun.

You're correct. Technically, you feel the gravitational effects of everything around you as well, from the pen on your desk to the cat running around outside to yo momma and the earth and sun. Also the opposite scale too: some random bacteria 4000 miles away from you is affecting you as well.

But when we're modeling physics we come up with reasonable limits/simplifications because the effects of a bacteria with respect to gravity is negligible since the masses are so small.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Similarly, gigantic galaxy superclusters don't really affect us in our day to day, since they are far enough away.
Technically, they do, but it's meaningless.

But it gets more complicated if you consider that gravitons can only move with lightspeed. So the earth doesn't rotate around the sun, but around the place the sun was 8 minutes earlier. That detail can also be completely disregarded on those scales.

Gravitons are a proposed particle in some theories but there's no evidence of their existence afaik. But gravity does "travel" at the speed of light.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Collateral posted:

The space time curve is already there, though? I was under the impression it was the curve that determines the movement of the earth.

Caveat I'm not a physicist, so I may be wrong on the specifics here.

The very brief explanation is that there are two currently "incompatible" theories of how things work. There's general relativity (GR) which can be used to describe systems at very large scales like planets and galaxies. This is the framework where gravity is due to curved space-time comes from.

Then there's quantum mechanics which is actually how things work as we understand it, which is that everything is "the wave function" (with different interpretations on what this actually means, which is far above the scope of what I can explain). Quantum mechanics requires that forces be mediated by a force carrier. Light, part of the electromagnetic field, is mediated by the photon for example. The graviton is a/the proposed mediator of gravity but this has thus far never been observed.

E: incompatible is in quotes because the existence of one does not negate the existence of the other.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

People I talk to irl about shows will regular say they're waiting for the entire season to drop before starting the show.