Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

The stuff D&D added to season 1 were hands down some of the best scenes in the show. I mean, I assumed D&D added them, they weren't in the books. Maybe GRRM came up with them long after publishing the first book and passed them along?

It was Jane Espenson after the season came in two hours too short. She's only credited for one of the episodes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What's the point of having a cool opening credits sequence if you're only going to show it once. Lame.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wasn't expecting the (episode 3 casting gag) League Of Gentlemen cameo, wonder who on the writing team is a fan of that mob.

I am counting down the minutes until Burn Gorman or one of the It's Always Sunny crew turn up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone know why Rosamund Pike is a producer on this? She's not in any episodes and doesn't seem to be involved in the production at all as far as I can tell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jonathan Price is a fine actor doinga fine job, but he's completely unconvincing casting in this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The game stuff was so good. The way it slowly makes clear how the game is secretly competitive, and all the cameos were really well done. They were smart making it so funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Then you have the other players in each level that I guess were other scientists from around the world? Why were they such douchebags?

They partly exist as foils to the characters who win the game, to demonstrate the kinds of qualities the designers are weeding out. They also present shallowly so we can slowly grow to understand that they're people and not just random in-game impediments to progress.

Also they were funny.

Like, I dunno, it's not exactly out of character for gamers to be douchebags.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Just to answer all the people asking why the siphon can’t stay unfolded and block out the sun: it’s because when it’s unfolded it’s easy to destroy by just blowing holes in it

I'm only up to episode six, but I assumed it was an illusion, since everyone saw the one eye looking straight at them, instead of dozens or hundreds of the things looking in a bunch of different directions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did all of Naoko Mori's lines get cut? She's in the background of a bunch of shots, basically doing a completely silent rendition of her Absolutely Fabulous character, and then she just vanishes from the story without saying anything. She's even credited on IMDB.

Maybe I missed her lines, or maybe it's :ghost:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe they had a lot of production hookups in the UK after working on GOT

I think it's either this or because they were concerned about the potential for strikes to impact filming.

D&D might just straight up live in the UK now, who knows, I'm not gonna bother learning that random fact.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Are the (episode six) murder atoms too small to pick up the nanofillament cabling, or should everyone be freaking out about there being two super tiny death computers with potential access to invisibly fine cheesewire?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty sure the light pollution around Oxford/ wherever they were would have been too much to see many stars.

But it's, like, a pop show translation of a concept dense, dry as rocks novel. I'm fine with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

It's SO WEIRD to me in this to see big british comedians as side parts. Phil Wang especially - at least with Kevin Eldon and the League of Gentlemen they're normally actors. He kinda isn't!

Wang's been acting more recently, small parts in some TV stuff and he turned up in Wonka too.

Edit: Speaking of comedians turned actors, apparently Sylvester McCoy filmed scenes for this as well, but like Naoko Mori's they were cut.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 31, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd rather they not harass an animal for human entertainment, therefore CGI good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I looked and even adjusting for inflation, these 8 episodes had a higher budget ($160 million, 20 million per episode) than the Apes movie ($90 million in 2011 dollars).

But the main thing is on top of that, CGI had 13 years to improve. Like I'm seeing asset-flip chimp models that look better in still shots than that did.

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

On top of that, you're now dealing with an FX industry that's in far worse straits that it once was -- things cost more and look worse.

The monkey doesn't look photorealistic, but it moves nicely and communicates the essentials required by the scene. I don't get why this is such a big deal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Large actor budgets? We've got the guy from Star Citizen, the guy from Marvel Slop, and no one else I've ever heard of.

There was an article about a few years back, but essentially we've reached a situation with actors and streaming shows such that the leads are now being paid considerably more per episode than they once were, regardless of apparent star power.

While there are no A list stars here, other than Pitt's producer credit, that was largely true of the Apes films IIRC -- the first film's only star power at the time was James Franco. (Karen Konoval is the star of my heart, though, and Serkis is no slouch). What you have here is far more actors, many of them character actors with industry name recognition.

This is a show that could afford to film and then dump scenes with Sylvester McCoy, but also employ people like CCH Pounder, Mark Gattiss, Benedict Wong, Liam Cunningham, Jovan Adepo and Jonathan Price, among others, some in tremendously small roles. All these people are quite respected in the industry, despite being working actors. That you don't know who they are doesn't mean they don't need to be paid a lot to have them all on your project, it just means you're uneducated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

As someone who obsessively consumes Hollywood inside baseball poo poo, lol at you calling other people uneducated.

If the cap fits...