Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

Here's the other problem I see with the whole transmisison thing

Earth is broadcasting poo poo into space loudly on all sorts of radio frequencies. It would not be all that hard for any civilization to hear us at distance of a few light years if they have the tech to make proton sized supercomputers.

er, google the youtube intro to contact, or the hitler decoded scene later in the movie.

The transmission power of what Earth broadcasts is effectively Bluetooth compared to the FM radio station broadcast Wenjie transmits, which was further amplified by the sun. Radio broadcasts lose power at an inverse square based on their distance.. Space is also incomprehensibly huge, so triangulating the source on some weak transmissions like broadcast radio from 4 light years away may literally be impossible. Even a space-based laser would run into diffraction issues from gravitational lensing and space dust.

Binged the show over last night / this morning. I thought it was surprisingly good because I bounced right off the book. Benedict Wong and Liam Cunningham do a lot of the heavy lifting, but overall I liked the characters.

the sophons interfering with particle accelerators is stupid though, because even light speed travel between locations, they can still only exist in two places at once. Also humans have been able to detect single protons for at least a decade, albeit in very specific circumstances in a lab. Coming up with technology to catch/kill the sophons seems as feasible as using Project Orion to shoot a frozen head at an invading space fleet

I really hope they make a second season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

They basically HAVE to get rid of that poo poo, although Benioff & Weiss chronically stepped in it with GoT, so maybe they won't realize how bad it is.

I haven't read the books, but it would be easier and potentially more interesting if everyone dresses/acts mostly the same. Say that society slowed way down as everyone pivoted to the war effort.

Putting all the actors in star trek set pieces will be dumb and cost a lot

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
the wallfacers is a stupid idea from the point of view of humans, but it was (probably I dunno I didnt read the books) terrifying to the trisolarians. With how their thoughts/communications work, the idea of parallel development, i.e. when two entities develop similar ideas without communicating with each other, would be completely foreign to them. Someone who could work on a problem without sharing their thoughts with anyone would be incomprehensible to them. However, unless they were prodigies like Ramanajun, the wallfacers would be at a serious disadvantage compared to most humans. It would have made more sense to pick wallfacers in a lottery in a rotating position.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

You can't really compare a high budget movie where realistic looking chimps are the main selling point to a show that only needs a chimp for a couple of minutes.

they could've shown the chimp in an operating room or something. they didnt need to close-up on it

which IMO summarizes the problems with the CGI in the show - none of it was very good, but they emphasized it like it was a 2005 blockbuster. If they move forward with season 2 they'll need to figure that out or the droplet attack will look like Stargate