Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just finished the series, and I have questions, oh so many questions

1) How did she communicate with them in Chinese in the 1970s to tell them to come and save humanity? That would imply they already knew Chinese and knew which characters she was sending. Wouldn't that imply the Sophons were already on earth?

2) For that matter, how do we know they are indeed coming?

3) Who is Willis and how does he have so much power? What org does he work with within the UK government? Was he lying when he said he wasn't MI5?

4) How do we know the aliens are harmful? They claim that they are coming to take over the planet, but...are they actually? All we know about them is what they tell us

5) Why would they stop scientists from working and then let them start again, like the lady making the nanofibers? I understand that they are 'afraid' that humanity might surpass them in 400 years, but a) Why would they start letting scientists work again, and b) Wouldn't they be able to just take whatever tech we develop and use it themselves as soon as we make it? They after all can spy on us, right?

Based on all this, I've come to wonder if they are really a threat to humanity after all. I'm starting to think that instead of being an actual threat, they are posing as a threat to get humanity off its rear end and innovate. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. They are making themselves look like the big bads so humanity has a common enemy to unite against, we develop technologies to get us off the earth and into the cosmos. I also wonder if they are not already on earth and have been for some time, observing us and seeing that we are not able to save ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

discoukulele posted:

1) They left this part out in the TV show, but the message that Earth sent included a self-translating code that anyone with a basic understanding of algebra could crack.
2) We know that they're coming because of their subsequent communications of Mike Evan's group
3) I think you mean Wade; he's part of a secret international organization supported by multiple governments. They might get into it more later.
4) They can only tell us the truth, and they've told us that they want to disarm us and conquer our planet
5) They allowed Auggie to start her work again because they wanted to throw Mike Evans and his group under the bus. The conversation they had with Mike where they start to understand the concept of deceit made them worried that they had already revealed too much, so they cut off contact with him and purposefully let Wade's coalition massacre them.

1) Ok, so no one else in the world caught the messages going back and forth? I mean the scientists in Ohio got the WOW! signal too. If they are transmitting that much I can't imagine no one else would have heard it
2) They _tell_ us they are coming, but maybe they are lying.
3) Ok, fair.
4) The Sophons allegedly can only tell the truth, but A) we don't actually know that, we are taking them at their word, and b) the Sophons are not the aliens, they are AI programmed to communicate back and forth with the alien 'fleet'
5) Why do they need followers at all in that case? To manipulate things? Why bother talking to humanity if they are coming to wipe us out? Do they need earth pristine and not damaged by global warming? [edit for your edit] Why would they worry about us surpassing them, they are going to steal any technology we develop anyways, right? Anything we come up with that is unique or a threat to them we'd just be passing to them the instant we get it.

Maybe this is explained more in the books. Which I should read. I do feel that after they got rid of the game segment the 'fun' of the series started to taper off a bit as it transitioned into a standard SF type show.

[edit] Another thing I thought of. he first message she gets says 'i'm a pacifist, don't message back or others are gonna come and curbstomp you' and she's all like 'LOL what, c'mon, we need a good curb stomping. So either the Aliens are not a unified species or a hive mind, or they are a hive mind and the message she got was a lie. Either way, the messages the human pawns are getting are not from the aliens themselves, but the 11th dimension computers

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 24, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tarnop posted:

There's nothing wrong with your line of thinking here on most of these questions. Many of them are unanswered at this point and you should follow your instinct to read the books IMO.

Specifically regarding the technology stuff:

The sophons could relay back any technological advancements that we made, yes. But the ships they're sending are going to take over 400 years to get to us. So if we develop hyper advanced weaponry then they could copy it and fit it to some ships that would take another 400 years to get to us. By which time we might have surpassed them again. As long as we don't develop propulsion tech that would let them get here any faster then they're always 400 years behind. So why risk it when they know exactly what scientific avenues we would have to pursue to catch up with them (fundamental particle theory) and can just block development down that path.

The problems presented by the huge amount of time interstellar travel takes run through the whole series, it tends to be a staple of harder sci fi

Thanks. I hate overthinking a book and then wondering if its a plot hole or a really subtle clue of real intentions.

ok, next thing
How do we know the aliens tried to kill Saul? Because Wade told us so? Why do we trust him to tell the truth.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 24, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
ok, next thing.

So Mike Evans and his ship gets cut off from the aliens because he reads them Little Red Riding Hood (Red, like Red China and Red Sky or whatever their plan was? heh). The aliens flip out when they realize that 'its a lie' because it isn't true and liars can't be trusted.

Are the aliens just that stupid or literal they don't know what metaphor or fiction is? That the story isn't intend to deceive but tell a tale or an aesop? I don't buy that for a moment, because the aliens literally made a fictional game that was metaphor to recruit brilliant minds. They knew before that conversation about that, because otherwise how would they get people to join them if they had to tell the truth.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just started the first episode. Jesus Christ that first scene was brutal and I was not mentally ready for that. It just looked way too real.

If you think that was fun, you'll love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuKDBPw8wQA

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Made it through E2. Guess I'll watch just 1 more before bed.

About the first scene in episode 1, yeah I was in a bad mental headspace because I accidentally watched a video from the Moscow mass shooting that wasn't properly censored.

So I was joking before, but there is a scene in episode 5 that's pretty squick. I'm not one who gets freaked out by TV gore, but i had to look away during that part.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So if Will's brain is being shipped to the San-ti (or at least was supposed to before the fuckup) what good is it going to do? They know everything there is to know about humans already from being able to download wikipedia. They can also download the decoded human genome so they don't need Will's sample to recreate him, they could easily just genetic engineer a human from the human genome project if they wanted a physical body. But more to the point, why would they want a physical human body? What exactly is Will going to give them that they can't get already? It seems like his mission is entirely pointless. The more I shower thought this series, the more it seems to fall apart.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Shneak posted:

This is my genre of sci-fi but I wasn't really feeling it until the end of Episode 2—yeah, I'm hooked now.

The video game poo poo is awful though. Samwell cannot get off my screen fast enough.

I got good news for ya :D

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TURTLE SLUT posted:

Overall I thought episodes 1-5 were pretty great, but 6-8 fell flat to the point where I was bored at times.

Absolutely agree. After the events of Episode 5 I think it really started to lose its pacing. If they had ended the 1st series at episode 5 (and padded it with some more details to stretch it out to 7 episodes or so) and then started the 2nd series with the stuff from episode 6 onward it might have flowed a bit better.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chalks posted:

Loved this series.

One question though: the first message is from an alien who tells them they shouldn't send another message since even though this one is a pacifist if another one gets the message they will invade. This implies that it is going to lie about the message to protect humanity - but they can't lie so I don't really understand what the "don't reply" message meant

based on some digging The aliens are not a hive mind but communicate via telepathy or something like that. Because they can sense each other's thoughts the concept of lying is foreign to them....somehow? Because no alien ever thought to think untrue thoughts or something? I dunno.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Here's the other problem I see with the whole transmisison thing

Earth is broadcasting poo poo into space loudly on all sorts of radio frequencies. It would not be all that hard for any civilization to hear us at distance of a few light years if they have the tech to make proton sized supercomputers.

er, google the youtube intro to contact, or the hitler decoded scene later in the movie.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 24, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Then Jin tells Raj that Auggie is “gutted” about Panama … she’s not the only one.

Yeah, she and a lot of others went to pieces after that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

confused posted:

I've finished episode five and have been mostly enjoying it so far, but am starting to get overwhelmed by toughts of, "Wait a second. This doesn't make any sense." It's starting to feel like they really needed a few more passes on the script. Just as one example, can someone answer the following for me:

The whole plan for intercepting the Judgment Day seems overly complicated and stupid. Like, the problem is, "We need to stop this ship and retrieve the information." There is a line or two about limiting casulaties on both the Navy side and, if possible, the Judgement Day side. Additionally, there is a line about being careful that the crew isn't able to destroy any of the data they need. So the solution is, "Ok... let's deploy this crazy experimental technology that was just invented that, so far, has only been used to cut up a small diamond. We will use it to cut the entire ship and everyone on it into tiny little bits." Wouldn't that drastically *increase* the chance of destroying the data? If the data is destroyed, wouldn't it be helpful to be able to ask the people on board the ship questions? Wouldn't this cause a major international incident if you have the Royal Navy very publicly destroying a privately owned ship in the Panama Canal killing all aboard in a dramatic and gruesome way? Wasn't this mission supposed to be secret?

Am I missing something? Was this incident in the book?

Throw in the fact that they also killed the pilot guiding the ship through the canal. Whoops. But apparently this is some multi-national org that hasn't been explained but has the agreement of all the countries on earth. Or something.

Lets also not forget that they would be basically shutting down the canal for several weeks while they combed through the wreckage, as well as dealing with all the body parts.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 25, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Netflix does that, massively hypes a show and then canceles it after 1 or 2 seasons and leaves all the viewers hanging. The OA is a prime example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

DrHammond posted:

Well whichever it was, as it was presented in the show, Wade was 100% correct, Trisolarians couldn't help but to pick up that juicy brainmeat.

Why? They already know everything there is to know about humanity from scouring the internet, and I'm sure they could download the human genetic code from the human genome project.